Dangerous cycling laws blah blah blah

sirmy

Dangerous cycling laws blah blah blah

Post by sirmy »

The mail's been at it again

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... n#comments

EDIT : Graham : To avoid the clickbait, try the CyclingUK response to the above link . . . .
https://www.cyclinguk.org/press-release ... -motorists

EDIT2 :
Wanlock Dod wrote:Bikebiz have a bit more detail on it than CUK for those that don't want to support this kind of thing by reading the original article...
Last edited by Graham on 30 Dec 2017, 7:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjr

Re: Dangerous cycling laws blah blah blah

Post by mjr »

I'd like to see forum software reconfigured to include a link to "Hurrah for the Blackshirts" alongside every DM link or mention, just to remind people of how good their judgment has been, historically.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I'm not really one to jump on these things, but that really is embarassingly bad.
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

Remember folks every time anyone clicks on the daily mail website you are quite literally giving them money to support their campaign of hatred and villification of cyclists. It is quite plausible to suggest this gets fellow cyclists killed. Think before funding hatred
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Nothing to see here, move along, or better still, get out on your bike! If you're like me you won't even bother to click the link.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

flat tyre wrote:Nothing to see here, move along, or better still, get out on your bike! If you're like me you won't even bother to click the link.
Absolutely!

Best thing you can do with newspapers ............. if you buy them ............. is to light your fire with them before even thinking of reading them. Second best thing, is to line the parrot cage with them, so the parrot can read the rubbish.

Not bought a newspaper in YEARS. We get given them for the above uses.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

profpointy wrote:Remember folks every time anyone clicks on the daily mail website you are quite literally giving them money to support their campaign of hatred and villification of cyclists. It is quite plausible to suggest this gets fellow cyclists killed. Think before funding hatred

I did click on it and had trouble getting back here :x

The highest-taxed motorists, +1!

One could of course set different questions and get quite different results :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Graham

Post by Graham »

profpointy wrote:Remember folks every time anyone clicks on the daily mail website you are quite literally giving them money to support their campaign of hatred and villification of cyclists. It is quite plausible to suggest this gets fellow cyclists killed. Think before funding hatred

I received a punishment pass, out of the blue, this afternoon.
A coincidence ?

I have just been reviewing my options for a camera or two.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Graham wrote:

I received a punishment pass, out of the blue, this afternoon.
A coincidence ?

I have just been reviewing my options for a camera or two.

I received a close pass on foot this afternoon whilst walking my two dogs - from a youth who had earlier passed me at a sensible speed in exactly the same place (single track road). Go figure?
PH

Post by PH »

The poll also revealed that almost nine in ten drivers (88 per cent) believe that traffic has got worse over the last five years.

But are somehow unable to think of a solution...
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I don't know the papers so well, is the dm the worst?
What about the express, sun, sport, I?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
PRL

Post by PRL »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I don't know the papers so well, is the dm the worst?
What about the express, sun, sport, I?

I would suggest that the DM is more poisonous as opposed to being simply stupid.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

PH wrote:
The poll also revealed that almost nine in ten drivers (88 per cent) believe that traffic has got worse over the last five years.

But are somehow unable to think of a solution...
So what. If more people rode bicycles or walked it might improve. Sadly "traffic" is now synonymous with motor vehicles rather than the "flow" of something. Has bicycle traffic become "worse"?

You're right people eg motorists, never see themselves as the cause of the problem. :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Mick F wrote:
flat tyre wrote:Nothing to see here, move along, or better still, get out on your bike! If you're like me you won't even bother to click the link.
Absolutely!

Best thing you can do with newspapers ............. if you buy them ............. is to light your fire with them before even thinking of reading them. Second best thing, is to line the parrot cage with them, so the parrot can read the rubbish.

Not bought a newspaper in YEARS. We get given them for the above uses.

The last paper copy of a newspaper I had in my hands was borrowed from a work colleague to stuff into my commuting trainers after a wet ride into work.they went from dripping wet to slight discomfort over the course of a day sat in the office stuffed with a copy of the sun newspaper. IMHO that's the best use of tabloids.

I did click the link, well the one Graham the mod added after it. Why post a DM link when there's a news piece on CUK website about it it? Seriously OP, are you in league with the DM or something? Do you get a commission? That's a tongue on cheek comment BTW. Not really making an accusation.

I am asking the question to anyone who has posted a DM link. Why? Do you not know it's a dodgy rag? Do you read it yourself and not know? I would bet any DM story would be better reported in any other newspaper's websites. Can I suggest before posting links to DM can I suggest look at what other sites say about it first?
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

Bikebiz have a bit more detail on it than CUK for those that don't want to support this kind of thing by reading the original article...