reclaim the word 'cyclist'

reohn2

Re: reclaim the word 'cyclist'

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:There was a great film a couple of years ago, Pride, about a group of homosexuals from London who contacted and helped striking miners in Wales c1984

Us outgroups had to stick together against persecution :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
busb

Post by busb »

Ben@Forest wrote:
busb wrote:Some years back I cycled with a local CTC group on weekday evenings, Sundays & weekends away. The evening rides were made up of a core of regulars supplemented by more occasional cyclists of which some would join both CTC & weekend rides. We obviously encountered other cyclists of which only a minority would be greeted. This meant most or certainly many were ignored such as children or teenagers & those deemed to be "casual riders" at a guess. I discussed this with others where the term "not real cyclists" was bandied about. To me, a cyclist refers to someone riding a bike. Whether or not they do so regularly or not doesn't change my definition of a cyclist being a person riding a bike!

I recognise this trait in 'cyclists' and have some sympathy with it. There are people you see on bikes who are not there 'by choice', they are riding to work because they're too young to drive a car, or because their car is in the garage, or because it's the only way to get to work quickly but hate it with a passion or perhaps even they've just lost their licence. If you make a friendly gesture, whether that's a small wave or saying 'morning' they either ignore it or shoot you a look of utter astonishment. I think there is a difference between a cyclist and a 'person on a bike'.

You've hit the nail on the head. However we may feel, they are still cyclists & contribute the most to the general intolerance of other road users towards all cyclists much more than most club members or committed cyclists do. They may well be a real pain but cyclists they remain (hopefully for a shorter period as possible). Perhaps a term such as "***** on bikes" would be more appropriate but folk prefer single word descriptions!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

busb wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:
busb wrote:Some years back I cycled with a local CTC group on weekday evenings, Sundays & weekends away. The evening rides were made up of a core of regulars supplemented by more occasional cyclists of which some would join both CTC & weekend rides. We obviously encountered other cyclists of which only a minority would be greeted. This meant most or certainly many were ignored such as children or teenagers & those deemed to be "casual riders" at a guess. I discussed this with others where the term "not real cyclists" was bandied about. To me, a cyclist refers to someone riding a bike. Whether or not they do so regularly or not doesn't change my definition of a cyclist being a person riding a bike!

I recognise this trait in 'cyclists' and have some sympathy with it. There are people you see on bikes who are not there 'by choice', they are riding to work because they're too young to drive a car, or because their car is in the garage, or because it's the only way to get to work quickly but hate it with a passion or perhaps even they've just lost their licence. If you make a friendly gesture, whether that's a small wave or saying 'morning' they either ignore it or shoot you a look of utter astonishment. I think there is a difference between a cyclist and a 'person on a bike'.

You've hit the nail on the head. However we may feel, they are still cyclists & contribute the most to the general intolerance of other road users towards all cyclists much more than most club members or committed cyclists do. They may well be a real pain but cyclists they remain (hopefully for a shorter period as possible). Perhaps a term such as "***** on bikes" would be more appropriate but folk prefer single word descriptions!

How does my new word 'carbonfibrestravageekfreak' fit in,a bit queer first time you say it but quite gay with practice :mrgreen:
W H Auden
busb

Post by busb »

reohn2 wrote:How does my new word 'carbonfibrestravageekfreak' fit in,a bit queer first time you say it but quite gay with practice :mrgreen:

Not as well as "Humblebrag" as in "Of course, all 4 of my bikes were recovered from my local canal which required re-spoking the wheels (by myself. naturally). It goes without saying that I could buy dozens of bikes without noticing any impact on either my bank balance nor frugal way of life." :mrgreen:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

busb wrote:
reohn2 wrote:How does my new word 'carbonfibrestravageekfreak' fit in,a bit queer first time you say it but quite gay with practice :mrgreen:

Not as well as "Humblebrag" as in "Of course, all 4 of my bikes were recovered from my local canal which required re-spoking the wheels (by myself. naturally). It goes without saying that I could buy dozens of bikes without noticing any impact on either my bank balance nor frugal way of life." :mrgreen:

Humblebrag takes the bisquit :)

PS, I hope you remembered to put some oil on the chain before riding them :wink:
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
busb wrote:

PS, I hope you remembered to put some oil on the chain before riding them :wink:

Humblebrag: Hans-Magnus Enzsenberger(89), prolific German writer: "I did not publish a book last year"
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
busb

Post by busb »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
busb wrote:Not as well as "Humblebrag" as in "Of course, all 4 of my bikes were recovered from my local canal which required re-spoking the wheels (by myself. naturally). It goes without saying that I could buy dozens of bikes without noticing any impact on either my bank balance nor frugal way of life." :mrgreen:

Humblebrag: Hans-Magnus Enzsenberger(89), prolific German writer: "I did not publish a book last year"

Humblebrag (or humble brag) is a new word to me at least. I read a reference to it in New Scientist of all places, describing an acceptance speech by someone suggesting they were so unworthy but took the award anyway!
Added:
that's quite enough thread drift from me.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

busb wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Humblebrag takes the bisquit :)

Humblebrag (or humble brag) is a new word to me at least. I read a reference to it in New Scientist of all places, describing an acceptance speech by someone suggesting they were so unworthy but took the award anyway!
Added:
that's quite enough thread drift from me.

Thread drift is good, +1.2
New words that one understands immediately likewise
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies