reclaim the word 'cyclist'

kwackers

Re: reclaim the word 'cyclist'

Post by kwackers »

I'm happy to just be a cyclist when I'm on a bike and not be one when I'm not.

I'm equally happy for someone to be a cyclist when they're not on a bike, I'm not but then I don't think about bikes when I'm not on them. I don't subscribe to any cycling magazines, watch any cycle races or talk to folk about bikes (apart from on here).
I've no idea what my gear inches are and have no opinion on Shimano vs Campag and would struggle naming any famous folk involved in cycling.

If you're obsessed to the point of thinking about them when you're not riding them then I reckon you're a cyclist all the time.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:For the term, I don't think it is a problem that Mick is a cyclist when he's not a bike. The problem is that the term is currently owned by people who are cyclists when they aren't on bikes. And it needs to include Mrs. Mick F, as well as Mick F.

I don't understand what you mean,could you explain.

As for religion, I don't see why religion has to include gods, or any higher power. I think it could be adherence to any spiritual philosophy. Not all Buddhists believe in gods, for example. If that spiritual philosophy includes cycling, why not?

Religion has to include a God or gods because that's the official meaning of the word religion.
Buddhism isn't a religion,it's only a method to overcome the tribulations of life,by belief a system of practicalities,there is no God or gods in true Buddhism,though as with anything else things get hung on it by men(it's usually men)to include things that weren't there before,the RC church is a classic example.
The spiritual element of cycling,which I have no problem acknowledging,and which can be to a greater or lesser extent.However spiritual it is still isn't a religion,pseudo religion maybe,but not a 'true' religion
It's a bit like mistaking a cat for a dog but insisting all cats that look like dogs are dogs.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

kwackers wrote:If you're obsessed to the point of thinking about them when you're not riding them then I reckon you're a cyclist all the time.
Yep.
:D
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 17.12.56.png

Note the term a pursuit or interest followed with great devotion: consumerism is the new religion.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:PS:
Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 17.12.56.png
Note the term a pursuit or interest followed with great devotion: consumerism is the new religion.

As I posted in my reply to Vorpal,it's a pseudo religion,and not a true religion.
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Buddha talked about various metaphysical aspects of existance, including nirvana and afterlife. He talked about 31 realms into which one can be reincarnated. He also used Karma to explain many of the aspects of life that in other religions, people say, 'It is God's will' or similar.

You can say it's not a reliigion because there is no god in it, but it serves the same purpose for most of its adherents.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourcei ... q=religion

a pursuit or interest followed with great devotion.

So we seem to have proved cycling may be for some a religion
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:Buddha talked about various metaphysical aspects of existance, including nirvana and afterlife. He talked about 31 realms into which one can be reincarnated. He also used Karma to explain many of the aspects of life that in other religions, people say, 'It is God's will' or similar.

You can say it's not a reliigion because there is no god in it, but it serves the same purpose for most of its adherents.

People can say whatever they may,there is no God or god's in origunal Buddhism.
I'll check out the 'realms' you mention,I'm not aware of such but don't profess an encyclopedic knowledge of Buddhism.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Steady rider wrote:https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=hts&oq=&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGNI_en-GBGB522GB522&q=religion

a pursuit or interest followed with great devotion.

So we seem to have proved cycling may be for some a religion

You didn't quote it in full,as per my replies up thread,that's pseudo religion.
W H Auden
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourcei ... o+religion

Pseudoreligion or pseudotheology is a generally pejorative term applied to a non-mainstream belief-system or philosophy which is functionally similar to a religious movement, typically having a founder, principal text, liturgy and faith-based beliefs.

This appears not to be a good fit for cycling.
cycling is not similar to a religious movement - it can be a pursuit or interest followed with great devotion.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

Isn't it generally that "cyclist" is someone who rides a bike in a similar way to me or behaves in a similar way, and people who ride a bike but behave in a way I disapprove of or who don't dress/ride like me are not really cyclists (just people on bikes).
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I'm not a cyclist but a human being. Bicycles are a mode of transport and use of it doesn't define me. I am more than my bicycle, don't label me. I am me! Too unique to be defined by one name.

You too are unique, don't accept labels if you don't want to.

PS when is someone who exercises by running a runner and when are they a jogger? When does a runner or cyclist or climber become an athlete?
PRL

Post by PRL »

reohn2 wrote:
Religion has to include a God or gods because that's the official meaning of the word religion.

As we don't have an Academy Anglais there is no "official meaning" of anything -apart from some technical scientific terms. Dictionaries just describe the way the word is usually used. :)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tangled Metal wrote:I'm not a cyclist but a human being. Bicycles are a mode of transport and use of it doesn't define me. I am more than my bicycle, don't label me........

Thanks TM,glad we agree :)
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

reohn2 wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:I'm not a cyclist but a human being. Bicycles are a mode of transport and use of it doesn't define me. I am more than my bicycle, don't label me........

Thanks TM,glad we agree :)

I'm off to lie down, I don't feel well. Normal service will be resumed shortly. :D