School cycle ban

Cunobelin

Re: School cycle ban

Post by Cunobelin »

Given that two key issues at this school (according to teh local Council) are:

1. School staff parking in residential areas or obstructing access;
2. Parents collecting their children at the end of the school day which is aggravated by school staff (often teachers) occupying areas that parents would normally use for dropping off their children.

Perhaps they should ban all teachers and staff driving for a week, and then not allowing them to drive to work until they have passed a safety course and learnt to drive (and park) with consideration
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

NUKe wrote:Bet its the Motons that complained. Our local secondary school, every morning as I pass it the helicopter parents are dropping their little cherubs as close to the entrance as they can possibly get, which includes parking close to junctions, cutting you up to then park illegally. swinging blindly round in the entrance to the school,

As above..... ban the parents driving to school and only reinstate that privilege when they have passed a safety test
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cunobelin wrote:As above..... ban the parents driving to school and only reinstate that privilege when they have passed a safety test

That would be difficult to enforce. The head teacher at the local primary, which is about 200 yards from where we live, has issued several warnings to parents about anti-social parking etc. This in part due to complaints from residents (including Yours Truly). But the doting Mummy's/Daddy's simply park their 'tractors' further away (e.g. in front of our house :evil: ) and walk their precious sprogs the short distance remaining....

Oh well.... I suppose it's better than blocking the school entrance and menacing other kids.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

661-Pete wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:As above..... ban the parents driving to school and only reinstate that privilege when they have passed a safety test

That would be difficult to enforce. The head teacher at the local primary, which is about 200 yards from where we live, has issued several warnings to parents about anti-social parking etc. This in part due to complaints from residents (including Yours Truly). But the doting Mummy's/Daddy's simply park their 'tractors' further away (e.g. in front of our house :evil: ) and walk their precious sprogs the short distance remaining....

Oh well.... I suppose it's better than blocking the school entrance and menacing other kids.

At Smallfield in Surrey they just park in the cycle lane. I just use "their lane" :lol:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

What we need is police enforcement around schools.

Oh! I see a problem there.

Seriously, set up a scheme where every child who comes to school by car has to pay a term based fee for the privilege. That term based fee is passed on to the police force, ringfenced, to pay for police enforcement of regulations relating to the use and abuse of the roads around the schools. Schools charge for a lot of things so why not with this? Money and loss of it really concentrates minds I reckon.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Ofsted ratings could include a weighting for pupils walking/cycling to school vs being driven. Hard to measure accurately and easy to fiddle, but it might put a stop to blatantly anti-cycling policies.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

thirdcrank wrote:Ofsted ratings could include a weighting for pupils walking/cycling to school vs being driven. Hard to measure accurately and easy to fiddle, but it might put a stop to blatantly anti-cycling policies.
That's a good idea! After all it is a measure of school ie pupil performance. At my grandchildren's junior school there was a scheme where the children had to collect walking points from various places en route to school. For cycling there could be a counter for number of bikes parked per day, or perhaps all schools should be required to have a proportionate number of bike racks with a target number being filled each day. Something like that could be incorporated into Ofsted.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Barks

Post by Barks »

It’s not just schools. My workplace has just directed the use of cycle helmets justified on the basis of presenting a ‘visible safety ethos’ amongst employees. The three sites are about a half mile apart (on public roads) ideal distance for cycling and walking. I wrote in to say that a more effective ‘safety ethos’ might be better achieved by banning inter-site use of cars and educating drivers about being considerate of cyclists and other road users (I have had quite few close passes on the roads in between from cars I know are employees). Reply was basically we can’t ‘interfere’ with people’s choices on how to get about - they just couldn’t see the irony. It’s the same attitude in this school, can’t be bothered to address the real problems. How do we go about changing such attitudes?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Barks wrote:It’s not just schools. My workplace has just directed the use of cycle helmets justified on the basis of presenting a ‘visible safety ethos’ amongst employees. The three sites are about a half mile apart (on public roads) ideal distance for cycling and walking. I wrote in to say that a more effective ‘safety ethos’ might be better achieved by banning inter-site use of cars and educating drivers about being considerate of cyclists and other road users (I have had quite few close passes on the roads in between from cars I know are employees). Reply was basically we can’t ‘interfere’ with people’s choices on how to get about - they just couldn’t see the irony. It’s the same attitude in this school, can’t be bothered to address the real problems. How do we go about changing such attitudes?

CTC ?

Ian
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

From your linked article:
Mrs House said: “Despite regular reminders, the majority of students are not wearing cycle helmets.

Maybe indicative of the underlying problem?

Ian