A63 - Victory for common sense -?

Cyril Haearn

Re: Is time trialling to be banned on dual carriageways (A63)

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The utility cyclist wrote:Where is "Humberside"? Jesus wept Duncan dollimore really is in a time warp :roll:

I agree with the sentiment (correctness) but there are plenty of other informal names that are understood, 'the north east' (starts by Darlington) or 'the top of Denmark' or 'west West Wales' (fausto copy)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

landsurfer wrote:Stop the bickering and get back to the problem at hand.

If this ban goes ahead can we expect a series of "Mass Protests" by cyclists standing up for ourselves.
Cyclists streaming down the slip roads in their hundreds and blocking the road in protest.
Or will it just be the usual wringing of hands and doing nothing.
Personally i'm up for the mass protest and even individual acts of protest to maintain cyclists right to ride.

Ensure our right to ride on the A63 !

Or we block it .... with cyclists, again and again.

Anyone with me...?

I think that's a good idea & a good way to bring attention to the issue. It would require some organising to get enough people to join in.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I'm good at logistics, and even rolling road blocks .... although i hate to admit it .... this would be a Facebook thing i suspect.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

landsurfer wrote:I'm good at logistics, and even rolling road blocks .... although i hate to admit it .... this would be a Facebook thing i suspect.

I would start by contacting Cycling UK, local campaigners or campaign groups, etc.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

thirdcrank wrote:To be accurate, I said "Bunch of idiots."

You put words in my mouth by suggesting I dismissed people on 'our' side as a "bunch of idiots" when clearly that's not what I said at all, not even close. I said it was lazy, regarding improper and inaccurate use of an archaic/outmoded (by more than two decades) geographical descriptive ... to be accurate.
I object to you saying I called the author an idiot.
pwa

Post by pwa »

The utility cyclist wrote:

You put words in my mouth by suggesting I dismissed people on 'our' side as a "bunch of idiots" when clearly that's not what I said at all, not even close. I said it was lazy, regarding improper and inaccurate use of an archaic/outmoded (by more than two decades) geographical descriptive ... to be accurate.

To be fair, I was not aware that Humberside was no longer an entity. Why would I be? Several hundred miles away, somewhere I rarely go, and I don't recall seeing news items on the change, or if I did see it in the news it was so boring that I forgot it immediately. Administrative boundaries are not an "interesting" topic for most of us so why would anyone from outside the region be clued up about it? It's an easy mistake to make and a simple correction would be about right.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Anybody concerned about this proposal could write to Highways England.

Highways England
Area 12 Yorkshire & Humberside Ports Motorways
A-one+ Integrated Highways Services Normanton House
Tyler Close
Normanton Industrial Estate
Normanton
WF6 1RL.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... nt_Map.pdf
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

pwa wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:

To be fair, I was not aware that Humberside was no longer an entity. Why would I be? Several hundred miles away, somewhere I rarely go, and I don't recall seeing news items on the change, or if I did see it in the news it was so boring that I forgot it immediately. Administrative boundaries are not an "interesting" topic for most of us so why would anyone from outside the region be clued up about it? It's an easy mistake to make and a simple correction would be about right.

As a journalist or representative of an organisation or a blog or whatever that's going to write a piece of some importance one would hope that in doing so a certain standard regarding accuracy should be a minimum criteria.
So if its not interesting then it's okay to just be careless/lazy with accuracy to what one writes, okay then, suggest the authors be prepared to be pulled up because lazy inaccurate writing is exactly that.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

They write about other matters too, and make assertions I cannae check
Who may one believe?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

ANYWAY ...
So no one interested in a programme of civil disobedience against the monster that is the Highways Agency and their draconian treatment of cyclists on the A63 ????

Just continuing bickering about Humberside / East Riding et al ......

We're doomed !!!!
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

landsurfer wrote:ANYWAY ...
So no one interested in a programme of civil disobedience against the monster that is the Highways Agency and their draconian treatment of cyclists on the A63 ????

Just continuing bickering about Humberside / East Riding et al ......

We're doomed !!!!

Tigris? Euphrates? Mesapotamia!

I went to a 'critical mass' ride but was too scared to join in
In German law a large group of 15+ cyclists is a 'Verband', rather like a road train in Australia, the group is treated as one unit, if the lights are green for the first riders the others may follow through even on red
There are or were regular c.m. rides in Hamburg, not sure what they achieved, maybe they were fun and social
Not today mind, it is snowing again

In summer there is a Sternfahrt in Hamburg, looks like the spokes of a wheel on the map, thousands of riders converge on the city, they are even allowed to use the motorway (closed for an hour!)
All on a Sunday of course, once a year, washes green and makes money
How could a politrickian be against that? :?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I see from the BBC local news that the proposed ban has been dropped

A stretch of road in East Yorkshire regarded by some cyclists as the jewel in the crown of time trial racing can still be used by racers after a plan to ban them was scrapped.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-engl ... s-45449061
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

From a Cycling UK press release earlier today:
Withdrawal of proposed cycling ban on A63 a ‘victory for common sense’ says Cycling UK

A decision by Highways England to withdraw a proposed ban on cyclists using the A63 near Hull is a victory for common sense, Cycling UK said today.

The ban would have affected a 15-mile stretch of road between the North Cave interchange and the Daltry Street interchange, following safety concerns raised by Humberside Police.

Cycling UK, the national cycling charity, launched a campaign last year to fight the ban and delivered almost 10,000 letters of protest to Highways England in Leeds last March.

Duncan Dollimore, Cycling UK’s Head of Campaigns, said: “We have been fighting for 140 years for the rights of cyclists, and we couldn’t let Highways England impose a ban when there was no real basis or justification.

“One of the arguments put forward was that cyclists couldn’t keep up with traffic, but on that basis they would have been banning cyclists on every A-road and many sections of B-road across the country.

“I’m delighted that common sense has prevailed and pleased that Highways England listened to our arguments.

“I’d like to thank all our supporters who took time to take part in the campaign and respond during the consultation period.”

In a statement, Highways England said: “We want people using our roads to be safe and alongside Humberside Police were particularly concerned about how safe cyclists would be with increasing volumes of fast moving traffic on the A63 between North Cave and Hull.

“We’re really grateful to everyone who commented on our proposed ban, especially from cyclists themselves.

“We are already developing more cycling and safety improvements for the A63 and in the meantime we urge all road users to use this route safely.”
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I should wear my glasses more often - I thought the title of this thread was Time Travelling to be Banned :lol:
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.