Plymouth Cycling Conference

horizon

Plymouth Cycling Conference

Post by horizon »

Just wondered if anyone else attended. I went along expecting to be disappointed so had steeled myself for the eventuality. But I was still disappointed.

Plymouth is strangulated by an almost lunatic six lane race track which cuts off its entire centre from all of the rest of the city. Crossing it is both life threatening and injurious to day-to-day health. It didn't get a mention.

Are all cyclists really that timid when it comes to challenging the real monsters?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
fossala

Re: Plymouth Cycling Conference

Post by fossala »

Drop me a PM next time something like that is on, I'll pop along.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Plymouth is a big place (biggest in Devon & Cornwall) you would expect more.

Local (me) CTC officer and trainer to local council has to clean up the Friday night mess on shared paths himself.......................voluntarily.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Plymouth Cycling Conference?
What was that about?
Where and when was it, and when will the next one be?

I often cycling into/through Plymouth. I never have an issue with the roads or the traffic. Worst junction to cycle through is Marshmills Roundabout, followed by Manadon Roundabout. Both these can be navigated by cycle tracks if you want, though Manadon isn't so good even though you have a nice bridge to cross over that says "Cyclists Dismount" at either end.

Blue Monkey Roundabout is fun, but so long as you keep a move an and behave like a car, it's ok.
Mick F. Cornwall
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Mick F wrote:
I often cycling into/through Plymouth. I never have an issue with the roads or the traffic. Worst junction to cycle through is Marshmills Roundabout, followed by Manadon Roundabout. Both these can be navigated by cycle tracks if you want, though Manadon isn't so good even though you have a nice bridge to cross over that says "Cyclists Dismount" at either end.

Would that be the one close to the Premier Inn?

Last year I did the Devon Coast to Coast. Two of us camped at Brixton the night before and met up in the morning with two more who had stayed overnight in the Premier Inn. That roundabout isn't very cycle friendly. Not being a Local I managed to find a way round it by using the Sainsbury's car park and then the footbridge. We must have missed the cyclists dismount signs and to compound our sins, returning by the same route, we entered the car park the wrong way using the exit.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Marshmills Roundabout.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.39146 ... 867521,17z
There's a cycle track underneath that goes from the Plympton road and past Sainsbury's before following the pavement along Embankment Rd.
Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 07.20.13.png
Mick F. Cornwall