Labour Cycles - Manchester 3rd Feb

Cyril Haearn

Re: Labour Cycles - Manchester 3rd Feb

Post by Cyril Haearn »

RickH wrote:I note that the booking page says "The event is for members of the Labour Party and affiliated organisations" but there is nothing explicit on the webpage. I've sent a message to check as it is something I'm interested in but I am not (yet) a member of the Labour Party.

May outsiders take part, is there a charge?
Other politrickial parties are available, I think many of us would tend to the greens
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
PH

Post by PH »

RickH wrote:I note that the booking page says "The event is for members of the Labour Party and affiliated organisations" but there is nothing explicit on the webpage. I've sent a message to check as it is something I'm interested in but I am not (yet) a member of the Labour Party.

Sorry, the OP could have been clearer, yes open to Labour Members and affiliates (Union member for example) It's purpose it to influence Labour policy and get some commitment into the manifesto.
I see no reason why they wouldn't welcome independent observers without membership, hope you get a place.
pga

Post by pga »

I am not so sure I like being called scum.
Cycling needs government support, nationally and locally, to survive, let along flourish.
I welcome the Labour Party initiative and will be going with my daughter and we are looking forward to a good conference.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pga wrote:I am not so sure I like being called scum.
Cycling needs government support, nationally and locally, to survive, let along flourish.
I welcome the Labour Party initiative and will be going with my daughter and we are looking forward to a good conference.

You could invite l.... r to join you so he could form his own opinion :)
Are there secure cycle parking places at the venue?
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Just in case anyone would like to ask the following question.

Could Labour (or a member of the House of Lords) requests a higher priority and available funding for providing cycle paths alongside rural A roads, (that are not already part of the Strategic Road Network, the SRN already has funding provision for providing cycle paths). Also requested is information on the number of miles on rural A roads that have cycle paths already and the extra number of miles that are being provided per year.

Reason
Rural A roads for cyclists have a fatality rate approximately 7 times higher than other rural roads per km cycled (in GB rural ‘A’ type roads have a fatality factor of 236 compared with 34 for other rural roads, per billion km). They are usually away from built up large areas and often have relatively low levels of cycle usage. Subsequently they do not easily qualify for funding bids where city locations have more people living close by and may gain funding. Without providing cycle paths on rural A roads they become for many people too dangerous to use and deter cycling, thus cutting off routes that often connect villages and towns by the most direct means. Approximately 20,000 miles of rural A roads are involved and need improvements. A specific target of providing perhaps 1000 miles per year could be aimed at. A design standard specifically applicable may be of benefit to reduce design costs and allow for low levels of use in some locations plus a verge width of 1.8m - 2.0m (between the road and cycle path).
RickH

Post by RickH »

No reply from the organisers & I now need to be somewhere else.

I'll look forward to any account of proceedings from anyone who's there &/or a link to anything online elsewhere.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
PH

Post by PH »

Brilliant day - I thoroughly enjoyed it, enough to want to get more involved. The purpose of the day, if it wasn't initially clear (I didn't quite get it, I'd just seen a list of great speakers who I wanted to hear) was to set up a group to lobby Labour politicians locally and nationally on what they should be doing to encourage more cycling and to have this included in the next general Election Manifesto. Lobby not just to harangue them, but to ensure they have all the information, research and examples of best practice to ensure they'll support it. This launch went smoothly, a constitution passed, committee formed and membership established, it'll affiliate to the Labour Party when the membership reaches the required number. I expect all the details will be on the website before long
https://labourcycles.wordpress.com/

Even if I had no interest in the outcome, it was a fantastic day. A fair smattering of people I know, some if different guises, some familiar Cycling UK faces, and as expected a great line up of speakers. Chris Boardman kicked it off, I thought he was a good cycling ambassador a year ago, his role as Manchester's Cycling and Walking Commissioner has taken that to a new level, he has the knowledge and examples from around the world and an entertaining straightforward way of presenting it. The representatives from several councils/regions gave good account of what can be achieved, the barriers and ways to try and overcome them. Rachael Maskell MP -Shadow Minister for Transport, and Dr Rachel Aldred – A Senior Lecturer in Transport, University of Westminster stood out for me, so much enthusiasm. Plenty of other speakers and all taking Q&As, though kept to a tight schedule by the chair.
Reasonable lunch, free book (Bike Nation) and the ticket was only a tenner! Train ride on the scenic Trans Peak in the snow, all in all a good day out.

But of course far more than that, this could be the first time a major political party puts a cycling commitment of this magnitude into a manifesto. Wouldn't really matter what party did it, establish it as part of the agenda and it'll be here to stay.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Was anyone else there, other opinions?
How was it reported in the media?
What happens next?
PH

Post by PH »

If anyone would like to know more, there's a report of the day from Carlton Reid
https://www.bikebiz.com/news/labour-cyc ... 3bda20d075

The Labour Cycles website has also been updated with full reports on all the presentations, the slides used and some links to further resources.
https://labourcycles.org/
pga

Post by pga »

A well run successful meeting with excellent speakers and plenty of Q and A's. Chris Boardman and Rachel Aldred were as committed as ever but Rachael Maskell MP, Shadow Transport Minister, stole the show. She will do a brilliant job in government.