Scofflaw bicycling: Illegal but rational

Wanlock Dod

Re: Scofflaw bicycling: Illegal but rational

Post by Wanlock Dod »

It often seems to me that our approach to getting cyclists out of the way of the important traffic for the last quarter of a century has largely been based on re-designating pavements as combined use footpath and cycleways, often without any improvement over what was originally a rather substandard pavement. It is also rarely mentioned as a potential factor although . I am sure that it has increased confusion for both cyclists and pedestrians. I very rarely cycle on pavements, but I am regularly reprimanded for cycling on shared use pedestrian and cycleways which look similar to pavements.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Wanlock Dod wrote:Pretty much anybody, anywhere, riding on the pavement

A classic divergence with the Association of Bad Drivers

On the subject of cyclists on pavements, they want the whole panoply of the law to descend upon the evil perpetrators of the Heinous crime.

Yet the same organisation feels that ticketing a motorist on teh same pavements is a Jihad against motorists, simply done for the money, persecution, and all the usual bleating
pwa

Post by pwa »

Ben@Forest wrote:
pwa wrote:I'd like to do both. I can understand some cyclists in some circumstances resorting to pavements, but I want them to be careful when they do. Some are. Some aren't.

A good few years ago I was walking down Ashby-de-la-Zouch High St (well away from my normal manor) on the pavement. A bloke on some breed of mountain bike was powering up it and was skittling pedestrians like ninepins, they were jumping out of the way. He had the face of a lout and an expression which said something I wouldn't be allowed to repeat here. His bike, dress, actions and demeanour said to me 'bloke on a bike' rather than 'cyclist' - a chestnut which has often been discussed here. But he wouldn't have been thinking about discussing cycling manners on a forum like this.

And I doubt my concerns about how some cyclists behave on pavements apply to folks here.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

reohn2 wrote:
pwa wrote:
MikeF wrote:I sometimes "break the law", but not in a way to cause danger either to myself or to others, eg riding across a non toucan light controlled crossing. Motorists breaking the law can frequently be dangerous, but a cyclist breaking the law is often more of an irritation rather than a danger, especially to motorists who see the "slower" vehicle being faster!

I agree with the gist of what you say, but I would add that someone cycling on a pavement with pedestrians on it can be a hazard, especially to the elderly. I know you are not that sort of cyclist.

It's all to do with context.
There's a mile of fast busy A road I use regularly to connect two quiet minor roads.It's four lanes wide without a central reservation that I'd be mad to ride on,especially as there's a smooottthhh 2m wide footway running alongside that in 20 years using it,I've yet to see anyone walking on,perfectly safe lawbreaking territory :)
Similarly here. I always cycle uphill on this section of the A26 to the junction that can just be seen. All that money recently spent on creating a motorised race track without any facility for cyclists. :evil: It should have been made a link for NCN21 but Sustrans seems to decided on a nearly uncycleable route instead. I've never seen a pedestrian use this path when I've been there.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I would love to obey the law when cycling but it is not possible
Oncoming motons do not give me enough room so I 'have' to ride on the pavement
Fortunately almost no-one walks here

Toad wrote:I would love to obey the law when driving but it is not possible
Oncoming drivers do not give me enough room so I 'have' to park on the cycleway
Fortunately almost no-one cycles here

Most criminality is "rational" from the perspective of the perpetrator. They are simply placing their own selfish wishes above those of their victims.