A reasonable sentence for killing a cyclist?

Vorpal

A reasonable sentence for killing a cyclist?

Post by Vorpal »

https://www.west-midlands.police.uk/new ... -collision

7 years in jail, plus a 3 year ban to commence after the jail term. I expect that it is partly or mostly because he left the scene of the accident. But it shouldn't take that to get justice.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Re: A reasonable sentence for killing a cyclist?

Post by thirdcrank »

As I've posted before, deciding the length of a prison sentence is subject to detailed guidelines. The only report of the judge's sentencing comments I've been able to find are here, but I fancy he will have said more about the factors taken into account:

Reading a statement on (the defendant's) behalf, solicitor Theresa Hunt said Scrivens was "wholeheartedly remorseful" for what he had done and that the only reason he had not immediately called the police was out of fear and panic.

But Judge Ward dismissed this, and said he believed Scrivens had waited so long to turn himself in was because he had been driving either under the influence of drink or drugs.

Sentencing him, the Judge said: "Nicholas Harrison was a regular cyclist, he was as safe as any cyclist thought they could be. He was careful and responsible. You gave no thought to the safety of other people.

"You took off the last remaining number plate and lay low. Saying it was a tragic accident is a lie and you know it. I can only imagine how much Nicholas' friends will miss him."

Read more at https://www.expressandstar.com/news/loc ... WQDs6E4.99

My summary

1 I believe you were as high as a kite and that's the explanation both for your bad driving and scarpering to avoid detection
2 No discount for remorse, beyond what you are entitled to for pleading guilty and saving everybody from having to listen to a load of garbage.

On a point of information, he was sentenced to seven-and-a-half years impt. The six months may seem to be neither here nor there, especially with 50% remission but it's almost another 90 days to be counted off. (Before anybody reminds me, I know the deceased has no more days to count.)

How much better it would be if intoxicated drivers were stopped before they crashed into anybody, cyclist or otherwise
The utility cyclist

Re: A reasonable sentence for killing a cyclist?

Post by The utility cyclist »

Why isn't it manslaughter, what does it take for the maximum sentence to be handed out?
In answer to the question, no it isn't but it's more reasonable than the vast majority.