Community Cycle Clubs - the death of.....

Ben@Forest

Re: Community Cycle Clubs - the death of.....

Post by Ben@Forest »

slowster wrote:"Birmingham City Council loves the CCCs", but most of the funding came from the DfT. What was done and is being done to convince and persuade the DfT to maintain funding? If it's the Conservative controlled central government that is paying, I can well imagine that 'Community Cycling Clubs' (especially in predominantly Labour controlled cities returning mostly Labour MPs) will have little appeal to them. Boris Johnson was closely identified with cycling in London, and gained publicity and political capital from it. Was any effort made to provide the relevant junior minister from the DfT with opportunities for positive publicity associated with the scheme, such as a favourable article in the national press with a photo opportunity for the minister?

I wonder if the above comment is overly cynical, all government departments will have multiple pressures and funding demands and we don't know where the money that was allocated might be going instead e.g. - better cycle lanes, more charging points for electric cars, better funded rural bus services.

I write this knowing nothing about CCCs but knowing that money for nature/conservation projects is always time-limited (and not just from government/councils but from agencies like lottery funds or big business) and though it can be disappointing to lose it usually the money is going to a different project which has been screaming for funds for the last however many years, the pie has to be shared out equitably.
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

Ben@Forest wrote:...the money is going to a different project which has been screaming for funds...

like subsidising sales of electric cars?
Si

Post by Si »

I sort of agree about using the word "club" - when we started up the first one I made sure that no one called it a club as I didn't want to to appear in any way exclusive. There is a AG down the road that calls itself a "Collective" - it, I believe, has no subs or actual membership process, you can just turn up and ride. It's been very successful for the more 'advanced' cyclist, although it's begineer's rides are still out of the question for most CCC riders - horses for courses. It's certainly grown bigger and faster than the local traditional clubs.

As for the relevance of CCCs to long term CTC members. As noted - more bums on saddles means things get better for everyone. You might not ride with a CCC but if you commute into the city centre you might appreciate some of the new infra (when it gets built) that they are influencing, or the more cycle-friendly attitude of the police.

As for actually getting involved - we do have quite a few trad 'club' cyclists who have helped out as leaders. Sure the rides are shorter and slower than what you are used to, but the feedback I have is that these riders love taking part because they feel they are making a real difference to people's lives. And, of course, some of these clubs will eventually get to the standard of MGs in terms of distance and speed so there will be more choice for experienced riders. For instance we had a group who learned to ride with us and were doing rides of up to 10km this time last year. A combination of BC and a CCC put on a "Sofa to 50km" programme to get them all to a level where they could do a 50km/30mile ride - and from here a few have gone on to do longer charity and sportif rides or gained the confidence to commute by bike more.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Wanlock Dod wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:...the money is going to a different project which has been screaming for funds...

like subsidising sales of electric cars?

That subsidy had £400 million in the pot so was I'm sure a different order of magnitude to the CCC funding. It was obviously used to pump prime the EV market but as I know that expires in March and, whenever it does finish, the money will go elsewhere.
Si

Post by Si »

Some good news....looks like some of the recently announced BBR money is going to be used here. I'm not sure coverage will be what it was but bettter than nowt.
gaz

Re: Community Cycle Clubs - the renaissance of.....

Post by gaz »

Reurrecting the thread as it seems this remains a core route by which Cycling UK seeks to achieve it's aspirations.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/announcement/ ... ng-officer

I could use a new job and I wonder what a typical day in the life of a cycling development and training officer might look like?
Si

Post by Si »

I could use a new job and I wonder what a typical day in the life of a cycling development and training officer might look like?

Interesting approach - a little different to what we've seen before. In Birmingham we have a development officer who is absolutely brilliant at inspiring and developing clubs but she doesn't do training. Thus for training ride leaders we have to either bus in a CUK trainer (who do good courses but aren't there to further support the new leaders after the course), or use the resident BC trainer (which has caused a few issues with BC training CUK leaders, and also offers little in further support for various reasons). And for training instructors we again have to rely on the resident BC trainer, and again this has been problematic in terms of on-going support. Thus having a single, resident person to do both would be good.

In terms of what the job's typical day looks like - running round like a headless chicken,trying to do six things at once, a fair amount of pulling one's hair out, but with a great feeling of satisfaction and pride in what one has achieved at the end of the day (I did a partially similar role for sustrans/bbb, and have supported the Birmingham CUK person now and then). It involves lots of riding around, meeting people, planning strategies for development, supporting volunteers, sticking your oar in at events, inspiring people to volunteer, supporting people, bringing groups together, admin, admin, admin, etc etc . If you are good with all sorts of people, have the patience of a saint, are energetic, are good at organising, can still laugh when all around you is turning to poo-poo, etc you will love the job.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Just noticed date. Forget it