A tougher line on speeding?

pwa

Re: A tougher line on speeding?

Post by pwa »

mjr wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
pwa wrote:
You know best the situation in your own locality, so I won't question that, but the OP was specifically about clamping down on people caught doing just a little over the limit. So we are not really talking about those who would already be booked for doing, say, 35 or more in a 30 zone. We are talking about those who creep over by a couple of mph. I count myself as one of those. I expect all the drivers on this Forum are, occasionally. And as one of those, I do find the numbers flashing at me helpful. I have no idea whether or not I represent a small or a large part of "offenders" in that, but they work for me. Sometimes I see a red 32 flash and my foot eases off the accelerator. Sometimes I see 28 and I think "don't let it creep up". Only a sample of one, I know.

I think you're pretty representative.

Pretty representative in that the sign doesn't work and pwa still sometimes speeds up to it. These signs seem to be mostly away from junctions and houses, which I suspect is so as not to distract drivers from other hazards. They seem like a lot of cost for the tiny benefit of some slight speeders slowing down in a low-hazard point. Put cameras up and fine them - at least that shouldn't be a net cost.

Oh come on Mjr, reach for the common ground and enhance understanding and good will! I've just confessed to my own slip-ups, and I've said that for me those flashing boards have what you and I would both consider to be a desirable outcome, namely an adjustment in my speed (if necessary) and a re-focusing on that aspect of my driving which, actually, has an effect for some minutes after and possibly longer. What do those things cost? Any idea?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
pwa wrote:
You know best the situation in your own locality, so I won't question that, but the OP was specifically about clamping down on people caught doing just a little over the limit. So we are not really talking about those who would already be booked for doing, say, 35 or more in a 30 zone. We are talking about those who creep over by a couple of mph. I count myself as one of those. I expect all the drivers on this Forum are, occasionally. And as one of those, I do find the numbers flashing at me helpful. I have no idea whether or not I represent a small or a large part of "offenders" in that, but they work for me. Sometimes I see a red 32 flash and my foot eases off the accelerator. Sometimes I see 28 and I think "don't let it creep up". Only a sample of one, I know.

I think you're pretty representative.

Pretty representative in that the sign doesn't work and pwa still sometimes speeds up to it. These signs seem to be mostly away from junctions and houses, which I suspect is so as not to distract drivers from other hazards. They seem like a lot of cost for the tiny benefit of some slight speeders slowing down in a low-hazard point. Put cameras up and fine them - at least that shouldn't be a net cost.

Not sure where you get that from?

Sometimes I see 28 and I think "don't let it creep up" and Sometimes I see a red 32 flash and my foot eases off the accelerator

Would rather tend to indicate that the sign is achieving exactly what it's designed to do...

The majority, an overwhelming majority of road users are law abiding and want to make safe progress.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:I've been watching some Youtube videos by a driving instructor based in the Liverpool area,the driving standards are appalling here's one of them,but he has a lot of footage on there:- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U_82EgTd2js
Point being is that there is far worse driving going on UK roads than a couple of MPH over the limit.

One maybe worse than the other, both are illegal
It is possible now to use the satnav to stop vehicles exceeding the maximum speed limit
Anyone scared of being caught at 31 mph can do that
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:Speaks the one without spot or blemish,a perfect state of mind and being must be wonderful attainment..........

A lot of stone casting going on, you're right - but there you go :D
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I've been watching some Youtube videos by a driving instructor based in the Liverpool area,the driving standards are appalling here's one of them,but he has a lot of footage on there:- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U_82EgTd2js
Point being is that there is far worse driving going on UK roads than a couple of MPH over the limit.

It is possible now to use the satnav to stop vehicles exceeding the maximum speed limit

...if they have one, and if it's mounted or integral, and if such mounting/integrated point is in a good location such that looking at that and reducing speed by 1mph outweighs the potential cost of glancing away from the road ahead, of course.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:

...if they have one, and if it's mounted or integral, and if such mounting/integrated point is in a good location such that looking at that and reducing speed by 1mph outweighs the potential cost of glancing away from the road ahead, of course.

It can be set to make a loud noise when one approaches the maximum limit
I can think of many unpleasant songs for example that would be appropriate
pwa

Post by pwa »

I set my satnav to ping when it detects that I have either reached or exceeded a limit and it does help. But it is not as loud as I would like. If I listened to the radio while driving (I don't because I find it distracting) the ping might go unnoticed. Also, Garmin (even with regular updates) are slow to register changes that have happened to speed limits.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:One maybe worse than the other, both are illegal

Good idea, it will allow people to get up to their personal target quickly and reliably :wink:

Here's the thing. I used a mobile phone app to understand my speedo's error through its range. I now use my speedo, confident I understand what it's doing. There are some limited occasions I may drift above. I am human and fallible, but I am always, but always concentrating on the road and what is going on around me as my first priority.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:...if they have one, and if it's mounted or integral, and if such mounting/integrated point is in a good location such that looking at that and reducing speed by 1mph outweighs the potential cost of glancing away from the road ahead, of course.

Good idea, it will allow people to get up to their personal target quickly and reliably :wink:

I would set mine to peep at n - 10%
Any suggestions for awful music to deter me from reaching the maximum limit? :(
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:

I like many more,some posters on this thread will confess to making the mistake of a couple of MPH over the limit,others are perfect,I never claim that state of mind or being.
The point of my posting the link is that it shows who the dangerous law breakers are,and its not those going a couple MPH over the limit before realising their mistake.
Those aren't the ones the few law enforcement officers we have left patroling our roads need focus their attention on.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:It can be set to make a loud noise when one approaches the maximum limit

I don't use a stat nav for 95+% of my driving.I'm afraid (like the vast majority of motorists)I'm guilty of relying on my car's(unreliable according to some) speedometer which,if roadside illuminated warning signs are anything to go off,reads 2mph high.
After 54 years of driving and motorcycle riding experience,I've a pretty good idea of mine and other road user's speed particularly in 30mph zones,however not being perfect I occasionally slip 1 or 2mph over,dangerous criminal that I am :?

EDIT:- Anyway IMO the subject has been exhausted(sorry) there are those those think 1 or 2mph over the limit to be a heinous crime,and others who see the politician's announcement for what it is,an unenforceable promise,if not only for the total lack of effective policing but because efforts to prosecute 31 or 32mph lawbreakers truly would be a war on motorists.
Better with the very limited resources afforded to road traffic policing brought about by a 30% cut in police funding,to concentrate on the really dangerous drivers on our roads.
Last edited by reohn2 on 11 Feb 2018, 11:10am, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:It can be set to make a loud noise when one approaches the maximum limit

I don't use a stat nav for 95+% of my driving.I'm afraid (like the vast majority of motorists)I'm guilty of relying on my car's(unreliable according to some) speedometer which,if roadside illuminated warning signs are anything to go off,reads 2mph high.
After 54 years of driving and motorcycle riding experience,I've a pretty good idea of mine and other road user's speed particularly in 30mph zones,however not being perfect I occasionally slip 1 or 2mph over,dangerous criminal that I am :?

I am striving to be perfect but I do not know what music, sounds, jingles would deter me from speeding crime, any suggestions for unbearable noises, any puns?
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:

I like many more,some posters on this thread will confess to making the mistake of a couple of MPH over the limit,others are perfect,I never claim that state of mind or being.
The point of my posting the link is that it shows who the dangerous law breakers are,and its not those going a couple MPH over the limit before realising their mistake.
Those aren't the ones the few law enforcement officers we have left patroling our roads need focus their attention on.

But the lovely thing about speed limits and red lights is that we don't need to take up any police officer time. We could automate enforcement of these and leave the police to do the more dangerous crimes instead of the current situation where there aren't enough cameras on.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:
mjr wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I think you're pretty representative.

Not sure where you get that from?

Sometimes I see 28 and I think "don't let it creep up" and Sometimes I see a red 32 flash and my foot eases off the accelerator

Would rather tend to indicate that the sign is achieving exactly what it's designed to do...

The majority, an overwhelming majority of road users are law abiding and want to make safe progress.

Wrong!
The majority routinely break the law, just watch how many ignore STOP signs! Over here nearly all, is it different over there?
Stop means stop, right?
Alternative facts welcome :wink:
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

OK. I assert that you are wrong. There you go, that's cracked it and we can both bask in our personal moral rectitude now. :wink:

Now about this stop sign fetish of yours :D