The Tragic Proliferation of ‘Drive-Cycling’

brynpoeth

Re: The Tragic Proliferation of ‘Drive-Cycling’

Postby brynpoeth » 7 Oct 2018, 8:01pm

Decided to avoid TDC, the tragedy of drive-cycling, by taking a train, or rather a bus (the line is closed for repairs). The journey takes longer but one can have a look at the scenery, +1 in theory

The bus driver was playing loud music, I asked him to turn it off. He turned it down a bit, I asked him again, he turned it off. His driving was poor, instead of coasting before a red light he kept his foot on the throttle, then braked, what a ***

I think I shall stick to cycling only as far as possible in future to avoid any sort of tragedy
Cycling - of course, but it is far better on a Gillott..alternative facts welcome

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 15 Oct 2018, 10:10pm

Avoided TDC again by taking my cycle by train (2 trains out, 2 trains back) to visit a museum of flour sacks

Had an entertaining conversation with three strangers on the way home, that does not happen when driving :wink:

Hope to repeat the trip soon
Cycling - of course, but it is far better on a Gillott..alternative facts welcome

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 15 Oct 2018, 10:36pm

brynpoeth wrote:Avoided TDC again by taking my cycle by train (2 trains out, 2 trains back) to visit a museum of flour sacks

Had an entertaining conversation with three strangers on the way home, that does not happen when driving :wink:

Hope to repeat the trip soon

Public transport does have that advantage of meeting and talking. Well ... unless you're in that London, where talking to someone you don't know on the tube will get you had-up for being mad or some kind of stalker.

In my earlier years I was dragged up in Tyneside, where buses and later metros were the norm for A to B. It was a standing joke that during any such journey, two grans going shopping would have your life story out of you within ten minutes and you'd have theirs over the next ten, whether you wanted them or not!

I first grasped the concept "alienation" when walking along a deserted prom in Morecambe, with only the passing cars exhibiting a human presence. But the humans therein were remote, separate, regarding me as if I were something on a tele screen, not real; and soon left behind, forgot.

Cugel, contemplating the curse of the car.

mjr

Postby mjr » 15 Oct 2018, 11:08pm

Cugel wrote:Public transport does have that advantage of meeting and talking. Well ... unless you're in that London, where talking to someone you don't know on the tube will get you had-up for being mad or some kind of stalker.

Has it gone back to that? People seemed to make a real effort in the run up to the Olympics to be friendlier and it was still OK a year ago, but I usually cycle around London so I've not had cause to use the tube since.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 16 Oct 2018, 8:41am

mjr wrote:
Cugel wrote:Public transport does have that advantage of meeting and talking. Well ... unless you're in that London, where talking to someone you don't know on the tube will get you had-up for being mad or some kind of stalker.

Has it gone back to that? People seemed to make a real effort in the run up to the Olympics to be friendlier and it was still OK a year ago, but I usually cycle around London so I've not had cause to use the tube since.

Perhaps this is the problem: friendly people, such as cyclists, tend to avoid the tube! :?