The Tragic Proliferation of ‘Drive-Cycling’

Labrat

Re: The Tragic Proliferation of ‘Drive-Cycling’

Post by Labrat »

A lot of this does appear to come across as people looking down their noses claiming to be more “pure” to the ethos of how to be a “proper cyclist” than people who drive to where they ride.

All very reminiscent of Vegans sneering at Vegetarians because they’re not really committed to the cause...

Personally, I don’t think that telling other people that they are doing cycling “wrong” is helpful to our cause at all. Instead let’s be bloody thankful that they are on a bike at all, let them do it their way, as they hopefully build confidence and a feeling of security, and become more willing to ride other places - and the more we can do to help make them feel safe and comfortable doing that the better, instead of berating them for doing cycling wrong.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Labrat wrote:Personally, I don’t think that telling other people that they are doing cycling “wrong” is helpful to our cause at all. Instead let’s be bloody thankful that they are on a bike at all, let them do it their way, as they hopefully build confidence and a feeling of security, and become more willing to ride other places - and the more we can do to help make them feel safe and comfortable doing that the better, instead of berating them for doing cycling wrong.

Yes. Maybe it's better not to blame them but to gently point out the absurdity, possibly by putting up posters where they park, in the hope that they'll apply pressure to MPs and county councils to build better routes from where they live to where they cycle.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Labrat wrote:A lot of this does appear to come across as people looking down their noses claiming to be more “pure” to the ethos of how to be a “proper cyclist” than people who drive to where they ride.

All very reminiscent of Vegans sneering at Vegetarians because they’re not really committed to the cause...

Personally, I don’t think that telling other people that they are doing cycling “wrong” is helpful to our cause at all. Instead let’s be bloody thankful that they are on a bike at all

It would be better if they cycled from home or walked. I do NOT want more cycling if it increases driving too, indeed I do not particularly want more cycling, just less motoring

I could drive to cycle and thus have more variety and interest, but driving is expensive, aggravating, tiring

I only have a few different rides into the country, but I do not find this limiting, not driving makes up for it

When cycling beside a road it is sickening to see so much motor traffic, early, late, Sundays, including driving cyclists who cause noise and pollution like any other motons

Planning a day-trip by train, wanted to take my bike and cycle the last 10 km, but the cycle area is often full, so I shall choose the TBC, Tragedy of bus-cycling :? (Cycle to the station, train, bus)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Labrat wrote:A lot of this does appear to come across as people looking down their noses claiming to be more “pure” to the ethos of how to be a “proper cyclist” than people who drive to where they ride.

Personally, I don’t think that telling other people that they are doing cycling “wrong” is helpful to our cause at all. Instead let’s be bloody thankful that they are on a bike at all

It would be better if they cycled from home or walked. I do NOT want more cycling if it increases driving too, indeed I do not particularly want more cycling, just less motoring

I could drive to cycle and thus have more variety and interest, but driving is expensive, aggravating, tiring

I only have a few different rides into the country, but I do not find this limiting, not driving makes up for it

When cycling beside a road it is sickening to see so much motor traffic, early, late, Sundays, including driving cyclists who cause noise and pollution like any other motons

Planning a day-trip by train, wanted to take my bike and cycle the last 10 km, but the cycle area is often full, so I shall choose the TBC, Tragedy of bus-cycling :? (Cycle to the station, train, bus)

In truth a modern lifestyle is quite difficult to manage without resorting to a car occasionally. Well, it is if you don't make an effort to recreate the modern lifestyle you prefer.

I didn't own a car until I was 39, although I (very) occasionally drove one belonging to someone else. I got one because the job moved 28 miles away and involved having to drive to "meetings". In the event, I found I was able to do the 60 mile 'round trip to work & back most days on the bike. It was good training for racing (which I was then in to quite heavily) and possible because work had showers and changing rooms, along with secure bike storage.

The car we have now is often on the drive for days at a time albeit it does get used for this and that so I don't claim any "purity" in the no-car-virtue parade. On the other hand:

* I can shop easily for all sorts employing the cyclo-cross bike with guards & 4 panniers. The longest 'round trip would be 14 miles - a nice wee ride, even in the rain. The shortest is about 4 miles. One can walk shorter 'round trips. So that's several potential car journeys nipped in their buds.

* A couple of weeks ago I had a dental appointment 12 miles away. This was an opportunity for the usual 30 mile scenic 'round trip, the dentist now having got used to my hot sweaty body on her nice dental chair.

* The ladywide et moi decided to have a meal out last night. We habitually do so about once a month, always via walk of between 5 and 10 miles there-back. One may drink and also feel virtuous for having spent some calories as well as consuming probably too many. Also, the dogs get an extra walk and we all enjoy the fab scenery and wildlife. (It's usually a walk via the local canal).

There are many lifestyles possible. A lot of it is a free choice. I have neighbours who habitually drive 400 yards up the road to see their relatives. Many also drink and smoke too much, watch "reality" TV and slag-off immigrants, despite never having met one. Naturally I tolerate their differences albeit I extract the micturate from them, as they do from me.

But some free choices cost someone else. Car use creates a huge amount of damage of many kinds. Whoever consumes car-pleasure (Including me) is getting others to pay a goodly proportion of the considerable costs. Say it ain't so!

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

A modern lifestyle, what is that please, is it a good thing?

Plenty of people in London have a modern diverse lifestyle, no need for a car, it would be a burden to have one
Not only in London...

Plus One for Cugel, 60 miles a day to and from work, sweating at the dentist

Just make sure you can park your motor on a slope at your new home, then you can leave it unused for months and sell it as a low-mileage youngtimer when you give up driving :wink:
CyclingGuy

Post by CyclingGuy »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Labrat wrote:When cycling beside a road it is sickening to see so much motor traffic, early, late, Sundays, including driving cyclists who cause noise and pollution like any other motons..

As a driving cyclist I think the mantra here should to be one of tolerance - I have to transport my bike to places by car to ride because I'm maybe attending a cycling event that I cant cycle to because of distance or get to by train because there isn't a service etc. Also I spend a number of weekends away camping when I take my bicycle, and I have to drive as my camping gear is more than I can carry on a bike, but allows me to set up a base for a few days cycling in a new area where I will hardly use the car.

Surely as enthusiastic cyclists we should be encouraging people to ride no matter how they go about it - if some of those car drivers turn in to cyclists then maybe they will appreciate what we have to put up with on the roads and treat us better next time they're in their cars.

I'm neither pro-car, anti car, or pro-cyclist (I'm certainly not anti-cyclist), but every means of transport has its place and we should all learn to live with each other. After all if it wasn't for the car drivers would we have the relatively convenient road network we currently have that allows us to pursue our passion like we do? I suspect not, 'roads' would still be rough dirt cart-tracks which would be fine for those on the fatter tyred steeds but not so good for those of us that prefer to use skinnier tyred equipment.

We're quick to moan about motorists giving us a hard time but with views such as this maybe we need to look at ourselves on occasions.
Read about my adventures on the British Cycle Quest at: http://www.quest.nwarwick.co.uk
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Tolerance? Do driving cyclists, do you, belong to the tiny minority of motorists who observe traffic law, stop signs, maximum speed limits?

I belong to that tiny minority, do not drive much now :wink:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

There's non so boring as those who claim a holier than thou approach to whatever the subject.......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Boring is good :wink:
Labrat

Post by Labrat »

Cyril Haearn wrote: indeed I do not particularly want more cycling, just less motoring

My point proven I think...

Typical townie, self centric view I reckon.

Wait till you’ve tried living in the countryside through a proper winter - and by this I mean rural Northumberland, 25 miles from the nearest supermarket. Let alone raises kids there.

Then maybe come back lecturing people about not needing a car.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Labrat wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote: indeed I do not particularly want more cycling, just less motoring

My point proven I think...

Typical townie, self centric view I reckon.

Wait till you’ve tried living in the countryside through a proper winter - and by this I mean rural Northumberland, 25 miles from the nearest supermarket. Let alone raises kids there.

Then maybe come back lecturing people about not needing a car.

I am not a townie, I chose to live on the edge of a large city. Used to drive a lot

I did live in the country in a proper winter, Mid-Wales, 1981, - 24° at Shawbury, could not go out at all for a few days, hitched into town for food, it was easy to get a lift

If I lived 25 miles from a food store I would shop every three weeks and stash plenty of food at home

Why do you live there, are you a farmer, is there a village shop? Only a few people live so far out
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Why do you live there, are you a farmer, is there a village shop? Only a few people live so far out

Hundreds of thousands of people live that far out ...... if not millions in the UK ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Cycling for pleasure is ok I think, I do it for other reasons too, mind

Damn right it is! When the petrol runs out or is priced out of our reach, and people wake up to the fact there aren't enough rare earth metals to replace all the ICE cars like for like with leccy ones, then it'll be all the more pleasurable for us.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I live in a village a few miles from the nearest town and sometimes, usually by the village green, I see one or more cars parked up and the occupants getting ready to go on a hike or a bike ride. And I welcome that. I'm lucky enough to live here and can enjoy the walking and cycling directly from home, but others live in more built up locations and while they enjoy the same things I do they have further to go to find it. They don't usually litter and I've not noticed them speeding, so I hope they enjoy their day out and come back some other time.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

You don't mind air pollution in the name of pleasure?
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.