The Tragic Proliferation of ‘Drive-Cycling’

Cyril Haearn

Re: The Tragic Proliferation of ‘Drive-Cycling’

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Decided to avoid TDC, the tragedy of drive-cycling, by taking a train, or rather a bus (the line is closed for repairs). The journey takes longer but one can have a look at the scenery, +1 in theory

The bus driver was playing loud music, I asked him to turn it off. He turned it down a bit, I asked him again, he turned it off. His driving was poor, instead of coasting before a red light he kept his foot on the throttle, then braked, what a ***

I think I shall stick to cycling only as far as possible in future to avoid any sort of tragedy
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Avoided TDC again by taking my cycle by train (2 trains out, 2 trains back) to visit a museum of flour sacks

Had an entertaining conversation with three strangers on the way home, that does not happen when driving :wink:

Hope to repeat the trip soon
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Avoided TDC again by taking my cycle by train (2 trains out, 2 trains back) to visit a museum of flour sacks

Had an entertaining conversation with three strangers on the way home, that does not happen when driving :wink:

Hope to repeat the trip soon

Public transport does have that advantage of meeting and talking. Well ... unless you're in that London, where talking to someone you don't know on the tube will get you had-up for being mad or some kind of stalker.

In my earlier years I was dragged up in Tyneside, where buses and later metros were the norm for A to B. It was a standing joke that during any such journey, two grans going shopping would have your life story out of you within ten minutes and you'd have theirs over the next ten, whether you wanted them or not!

I first grasped the concept "alienation" when walking along a deserted prom in Morecambe, with only the passing cars exhibiting a human presence. But the humans therein were remote, separate, regarding me as if I were something on a tele screen, not real; and soon left behind, forgot.

Cugel, contemplating the curse of the car.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cugel wrote:Public transport does have that advantage of meeting and talking. Well ... unless you're in that London, where talking to someone you don't know on the tube will get you had-up for being mad or some kind of stalker.

Has it gone back to that? People seemed to make a real effort in the run up to the Olympics to be friendlier and it was still OK a year ago, but I usually cycle around London so I've not had cause to use the tube since.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

mjr wrote:
Cugel wrote:Public transport does have that advantage of meeting and talking. Well ... unless you're in that London, where talking to someone you don't know on the tube will get you had-up for being mad or some kind of stalker.

Has it gone back to that? People seemed to make a real effort in the run up to the Olympics to be friendlier and it was still OK a year ago, but I usually cycle around London so I've not had cause to use the tube since.

Perhaps this is the problem: friendly people, such as cyclists, tend to avoid the tube! :?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

For worthy reasons I drive a very small vehicle, not sure if my bike would fit in, would have to take both wheels off, TDC is just hassle, trouble, cost, I cycle from home instead, rarely cycle anywhere new, I gladly make that sacrifice :?

Did have to do TTC, tragedy of train-cycling once, couldnae find a place to leave my bike at the train station, the only thing to do was buy a cycle ticket and take it with me on the train
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
mjr wrote:

Perhaps this is the problem: friendly people, such as cyclists, tend to avoid the tube! :?

Did anyone see the episode of the Mash Report, where Londoners were traumatised by a Northerner going around and saying Hello/Good Morning to them?

https://www.facebook.com/bbctwo/videos/ ... 13?sfns=mo
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Soon the ultimate TDC event shall be held, the TdF
A handful of cyclists, thousands of vehicles, Minus One
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

The WIMPS are off for another TDC epic in September, the CtC .. Whitehaven to Geordie Land .. somewhere ...
People driving from Exeter and Bristol, Rotherham .. all over ...
AND ...
A van coming with us carrying tents and stuff ...
Huzzah for TDC .... :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

landsurfer wrote:The WIMPS are off for another TDC epic in September, the CtC .. Whitehaven to Geordie Land .. somewhere ...
People driving from Exeter and Bristol, Rotherham .. all over ...
AND ...
A van coming with us carrying tents and stuff ...
Huzzah for TDC .... :D

Please to calculate a TDC ratio for your Cycling Adventure
Km cycled/km driven :?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I have to confess, the one and only time we went to watch the TdF, in France, we drive-cycled. Reason: the distance from our French house to the nearest viewing-point was too far to cycle all the way, and too hilly (notwithstanding this was one of the flat stages). So we drove about 2/3 of the way, and cycled the rest. Even that was quite an effort for us...

But we don't drive-cycle as a rule. Our cycling is mostly utility rather than recreational.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The TdF visits almost every corner of l'hexagon, one just has to wait a few years :wink:
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Please to calculate a TDC ratio for your Cycling Adventure

Pointless ... almost as pointless as a major Country going carbon neutral while 3 massive Nations continue to build thermal coal power stations ..

While the hundreds of Sportives, Road Races, Time Trials draw in thousands and thousands of participants that drive to the venue, generate millions and millions of TDC miles, our little event is as a grain of sand on the floor of the ocean.

I have added to this post on a number of occasions but still find it strange that the OP, a cyclist i assume, wishes to campaign for the ending of all competitive cycling, touring and long distance cycling events.
:roll:
Be more Mike.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

landsurfer wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Please to calculate a TDC ratio for your Cycling Adventure

Pointless ... almost as pointless as a major Country going carbon neutral while 3 massive Nations continue to build thermal coal power stations ..

While the hundreds of Sportives, Road Races, Time Trials draw in thousands and thousands of participants that drive to the venue, generate millions and millions of TDC miles, our little event is as a grain of sand on the floor of the ocean.

(snip)

Wellllll ..... I'd still like to know why you feel that the rest of the world must do the right thing before you will consider doing so. Also, the reasoning that drives this attitude. After all, the logic could be damning.

"Large numbers of others indulge in this damaging and even self-destructive behaviour so I can too, until every last one of those others ceases the naughtiness first".

This could justify many egregious behaviours. Indeed it does so in the minds of the self-indulgent. as anyone knows who rides a bike in traffic containing large numbers of motorists.

Now, consider a list of the many egregious and even criminal behaviours indulged in by millions which (using your excuse) we could all indulge in too, until all those others stop it. There is:

* driving like a loon (already mentioned);
* stealing the towels from hotels;
* cheating on the tax;
* beating the wife and threatening more if reported;
* abusing the children, in a variety of ways, from smacking to....

Perhaps you have got my point? Making a moral judgement upon one's own behaviour does involve guessing the reaction of others to one's behaviour, as well as employing norms of behaviour. But it also involves our supposed individual responsibility to "do the right thing". You seem to eschew the latter; and perhaps even the former?

Please feel free to reject my logic here, along with the charge that you seem to be amoral ........

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cugel wrote:
Please feel free to reject my logic here, along with the charge that you seem to be amoral ........

Cugel

Suitably rejected ..... :)
Be more Mike.