The Tragic Proliferation of ‘Drive-Cycling’

pwa

Re: The Tragic Proliferation of ‘Drive-Cycling’

Post by pwa »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:You don't mind air pollution in the name of pleasure?

Not here, no. I live in a quiet spot with relatively little traffic so the odd extra car makes no real difference to the generally very good air quality. The only time I worry about vehicle exhausts is when a school bus goes past.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

If all the cyclists in all the world stopped using a car it wouldn't add up to very much reduction in pollution.

However if all the motorists in all the world were prevented(by the many means available to governmental authorities)from using their cars for journeys of 5miles or less it would add upto quite a reduction in pollution.

Also if cyclists were prevented from using their car to transport it to a place where they can enjoy a ride,their pleasure renewal of mind body and spirit and possibly their physical health could be at risk.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

pwa wrote:

Not here, no. I live in a quiet spot with relatively little traffic so the odd extra car makes no real difference to the generally very good air quality. The only time I worry about vehicle exhausts is when a school bus goes past.

An honest response ;)
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:
pwa wrote:

An honest response ;)

The pollution is blown back to Caerdydd where the visitors likely come from :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mmcnay

Post by mmcnay »

I like getting out on my bike. I usually ride from the house. But, for a change I get on the train and cycle home from somewhere more distant. I've taken the bikes out in my car - the boy is seven - and then we've cycled the last couple of miles into the city to do a bit of shopping. I drove down to Dorset recently. Dropped the boy at his grandparents and went for a three day tour. It was lovely.

I've read a lot about air quality on this thread -and car drivers, unnecessary driving etc. To really think about air quality think about the cities in China and India where they produce most of the rubbish we get through. We've mostly exported terrible air quality. So, if you own anything made in these countries, or others with similar lax laws on pollution - you've made bad air quality for Chinese children. Not to mention been part in slave like working conditions for other human beings.

Talking of the labour conditions of the Chinese factory workers reminds me of the even worse tragedy. The African children down mines to supply the metals necessary to make our computers go. Proper youngsters. 5, 6, 7 years old. Now that is a tragedy. And one every member of this forum is complicit in. (Me included.)

Some of the non-car drivers live in cottages and burn wood. They might have TVs. They might fly to Spain for a holiday. If they life and breath a normalish life, then they are contributing to pollution, to bad air quality, to slavery, to the exploitation of children etc etc.

Basically, we are all sinners. And there are some terrible tragedies out there. If we focus on our own part in those tragedies, rather than pointing the finger at others, we might be able to do something about them.

Anyway, goodnight all,
Mark
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Don't just focus on it, but take some action.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

reohn2 wrote:There's non so boring as those who claim a holier than thou approach to whatever the subject.......

We virtue signallers cannot help it if you secretly find our superior modes and immaculate behaviours enviable, then cover your longing to emulate us with irrelevant criticisms. No, we can't.

Anyway, I know that my pearls of wisdom are fascinating to all right-thinking folk and only of no interest to the porcine, who are bored with everything except a muddy root or the swill bucket! :-)

Cugel, from a wobbly soapbox.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cugel wrote:
reohn2 wrote:There's non so boring as those who claim a holier than thou approach to whatever the subject.......

We virtue signallers cannot help it if you secretly find our superior modes and immaculate behaviours enviable, then cover your longing to emulate us with irrelevant criticisms. No, we can't.

Anyway, I know that my pearls of wisdom are fascinating to all right-thinking folk and only of no interest to the porcine, who are bored with everything except a muddy root or the swill bucket! :-)

Cugel, from a wobbly soapbox.

Oink :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Tolerance? Do driving cyclists, do you, belong to the tiny minority of motorists who observe traffic law, stop signs, maximum speed limits?

I belong to that tiny minority, do not drive much now :wink:
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I'm driving to Lincoln on Saturday morning, about 0630 and parking up near RAF Scampton.
I will then have an enjoyable few hours riding a 62 mile loop before loading my bike onto the big diesel truck and driving home .... HUZZAH !
Absolutely nothing tragic about my day ..... :)
It gets better, on Sunday, having loaded up the kayaks, my grandson and I will drive the 73 miles to Bridlington, park up at the north beach and paddle off to explore the cliffs ....
The weekend may even end with some "Drive- Shopping" .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I have to ask - given the title of this thread, and its location (Campaigning and Public Policy) - is it the OP's intention to kick off a campaign to ban "Drive-Cycling"?
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

recumbentpanda wrote:Well, I guess this thread went pretty much as I suspected it might. I can see the logic in many of the points, but still, every time I ride past a car with bike racks parked near to a cycle only route, I can’t help feeling depressed. Somehow, by creating off road infrastructure we have ended up turning cycling from a fuel free way of getting around to just another reason for burning gas.

True, many people, including me, like to ride without the ever present threat of the motor car, but for that to result in yet more car journeys just seems wrong, and more than slightly mad, even if on the surface, for each individual, it seems a logical thing to do.

Anti-car? Yes, yes I am. There will always be legitimate uses for powered vehicles, but currently I think we are ‘car-sick’ and drive-cycling is just another symptom.

Plus One

A lot of people drive with bikes on the roof or back of the car, looks hazardous, maybe the cops could pull them over to check whether the machines are properly secured
Fixing belts often loosen after a while
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 21 Sep 2018, 11:28am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

rmurphy195 wrote:I have to ask - given the title of this thread, and its location (Campaigning and Public Policy) - is it the OP's intention to kick off a campaign to ban "Drive-Cycling"?

S/he has not posted for a while, you could send a pm to ask, hope the answer appears here

I rather wish I lived in Birmingham and could cycle the fascinating canal towpaths by cycle only (fixie) :wink:
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
rmurphy195 wrote:I have to ask - given the title of this thread, and its location (Campaigning and Public Policy) - is it the OP's intention to kick off a campaign to ban "Drive-Cycling"?

S/he has not posted for a while, you could send a pm to ask, hope the answer appears here

I rather wish I lived in Birmingham and could cycle the fascinating canal towpaths by cycle only (fixie) :wink:

You woldn't want to use a fixie - lots of people and children (on and of bikes (ok), mobility scooters (ok), unrestrained and badly-controlled dogs (not OK), kids on motorbikes (not OK) so you have to keep slowing down!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

rmurphy195 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:

You woldn't want to use a fixie - lots of people and children (on and of bikes (ok), mobility scooters (ok), unrestrained and badly-controlled dogs (not OK), kids on motorbikes (not OK) so you have to keep slowing down!

Positive thread alert, +1!
I am an old-fashioned fixie rider, have a 59" gear now, maybe I would gear down
Riding fixed means control and simplicity and safety for me, not going fast
I love children too and am quite tolerant of dogs, could be a new type of cycling with lots of encounters and the lovely local accents
Alternative facts welcome