Bmblbzzz

Re: Minimum Noise Requirements for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Steady rider wrote:
by Bmblbzzz » 9 Feb 2018, 1:40pm

Steady rider wrote:
Bird protection is an issue to consider

Sorry for not explaining properly. I was thinking more birds will get hit by vehicles due to the vehicles making less noise.
This week a bird was stunned and needed moving to the road side, I have come across other birds, needing moving. The tyre noise and engine noise of ICE's will probably be higher than Hybrid and Electric Vehicles tyre noise alone. I note birds react to noise sooner than being in visual sight.

Thread drift
What about insects, there are apparently many fewer of them now

The decline in insect numbers is down to agricultural changes, mostly; insecticides, different crops (or different disposition of crops within an area), etc. And industrial pollution. We notice cleaner windscreens but it's not the windscreens that are wiping them out.

I'm not sure about birds though, but I'd have thought similar factors; pollutants and land use.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

323.7 billion miles were driven on Great
Britain’s roads in 2016,

Assuming this results in killing insects and birds, how many years before hardly any are left?

According to the report, carried out by experts from organisations such as the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) and the British Trust for Ornithology, there are an estimated 166 million birds nesting in the UK compared with 210 million in 1966.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourcei ... mMECpWNUgc

21% fewer than in 1966, reducing perhaps at about 0.4% per year, perhaps in 200 years very few left.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The decline in insects is likely caused by intensive agriculture, glysophat &c
I would not be surprised if there is an ecological disaster soon, bees and other insects are so important for the balance of nature

I think bird populations fluctuate a lot, in bad winters for example, that is normal
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
RickH

Post by RickH »

reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:How might one get drivers of electric vehicles to be more careful, suggestions please

What would apply to all drivers of all vehicles would be enforcing the laws we already have,and harsher penalties,especially for repeat offenders.

How may I identify blind or partially sighted people when I am driving? Do they always have a guide dog, are they required to wear a white armband?

Blind people don't all have a guide dog,but if they don't they do need a white stick to feel their way,they don't have to wear a white arm band,blind and hearing impaired people have a red and white stick.

Clare, my sight impaired tandem stoker, has (as well as a guide dog, that she adores, & a long cane, not so keen*) a short white cane (known as a symbol cane) that is purely carried to alert people to the fact that she is sight impaired.

(*& she likes the tandem she bought off you a lot too R2. :D )
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

RickH wrote:Clare, my sight impaired tandem stoker, has (as well as a guide dog, that she adores, & a long cane, not so keen*) a short white cane (known as a symbol cane) that is purely carried to alert people to the fact that she is sight impaired.

(*& she likes the tandem she bought off you a lot too R2. :D )

I'm glad the Cannondale went to such an appreciable owner who'll put it to good use,pass on my best wishes next time you see her,it was great meeting you both :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden