Mersey Gateway

ferrit worrier

Mersey Gateway

Post by ferrit worrier »

Yesterday Mrs FW and I went to Widnes, Sat Nav took us over the Runcorn Bridge, never been over this before but had an idea it was a toll bridge. On the approach road we saw a sign giving the tariff for the vehicles using the crossing. Mrs FW had a rummage in her purse and found the required £2.00 for the car. on we went over the bridge following the Sat Nav until we lost the satellite connection fortunately we'd seen the sign for Widnes and followed it until Sat Nav picked up the satellite again. Curious we said no toll booths? back at work this morning I mentioned to one of my colleagues that we'd used the toll bridge, "how did you pay? " " we didn't, no toll booths!" " You have to pay on the net he tells me" you have until midnight tonight to pay or you get fined. "

I came home from work and eventually found the web site which decided to lock up at the payment stage three goes later I found a telephone number and paid via my phone. according to the website it's been widely publicised how it works. ... Last year! don't recall seeing anything in our local papers or such like. even if it was why would I want to take any notice of something that I'm not likely to use, certainly wont be using it again. If it wasn't for the fact I'd get very wet I'd B****Y well walk first :twisted:

Looking at the net there are a lot of innocent people been caught by this. not impressed at all. If I hadn't spoken to my colleague at work I'd be in line for a £30.00 ticket. I'll stop short of expressing what I really think. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Thanks guys rant over :roll:
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
kwackers

Re: Mersey Gateway

Post by kwackers »

I've only ever been over it once, my missus uses every day.
I already knew it was a toll bridge so I can't comment on how easy it is for someone without prior knowledge.
I did spot lots of signs but then I'd been looking for them after all the fuss about people being caught out.

I think toll bridges are on the way out everywhere. Overall I think that's a good thing. Queueing is a poor system...

Overall I think it's horses for courses, for Ms Kwackers it's 40 minutes through Warrington vs 20 via the bridge. I guess it depends how you value your time.

Currently I think the old bridge is shut so you could take your chances going through Warrington, but Bridge Foot during the rush hour would I suspect only make the bridge seem cheap at twice the price.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Whenever I hear motorists whinging about the tolls I point out that they should stop complaining. At least they are allowed to use it. The OP mentioned the signs he DID see; he didn't mention the one he didn't - the one that is actually relevant to readers of a cycle forum.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Pete Owens wrote:Whenever I hear motorists whinging about the tolls I point out that they should stop complaining. At least they are allowed to use it. The OP mentioned the signs he DID see; he didn't mention the one he didn't - the one that is actually relevant to readers of a cycle forum.

Supposedly the old bridge will be nice and quiet and have dedicated cycle lanes when it reopens...

I did once cycle across the old bridge on the carriageway - what a mistake that was...
Foolishly I did it again about 6 months later thinking it couldn't have been as bad as I remembered.
It was.

So it could be that we'll go from a system that required you to either risk your life or use the footpath to one where you can actually safely cross on the road.

For now I'll take the optimistic view. :lol:
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Pete Owens wrote:Whenever I hear motorists whinging about the tolls I point out that they should stop complaining. At least they are allowed to use it. The OP mentioned the signs he DID see; he didn't mention the one he didn't - the one that is actually relevant to readers of a cycle forum.

I'm not whinging about paying the toll I was quite prepared to pay it without any problem. It's the collection method that annoyed me. What does Joe blogs from miles away do when he comes up to Speke airport crosses over the bridge goes on holiday and comes home to find a Fixed penalty ticket on his door mat.
I've no doubt that it's very useful to the locals who know how it works. Can you enlighten me as to the sign that I missed :D
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Except that if I want to ride from Daresbury to Widnes that is an extra 2km detour. OK if I have plenty of time for a leisure ride then I would probably choose to go that way (when it eventually reopens), but if I just want to get to work on a wet day in the Winter I want to be able to use the most direct route - just as I would if I was commuting to Hull from the west.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

ferrit worrier wrote:Can you enlighten me as to the sign that I missed :D

ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Pete Owens wrote:
ferrit worrier wrote:Can you enlighten me as to the sign that I missed :D

ah that one
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

ferrit worrier wrote:... What does Joe blogs from miles away do when he comes up to Speke airport crosses over the bridge goes on holiday and comes home to find a Fixed penalty ticket on his door mat. ...

Funny you should mention that. Last Sunday I had to operate Dad's taxi to John Lennon :lol: Airport. I like to do my homework and google maps offered this route as an alternative, although I don't know why, because it's further than via the M62 and when I clicked on "details" it flashed up a warning about tolls. Fortunately, I also checked the airport parking with streetview. The airport roads are plastered with "NO STOPPING" signs, penalty £100 with camera enforcement.

You'd need to be a very quick reader to read and understand this airport Car Park sign without stopping:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.33863 ... 312!8i6656

But cheer up: there's nothing new about paying to cross the Mersey at Runcorn

RUNCORN FERRY
(TUPPENCE PER PERSON PER TRIP.)
Marriott Edgar, 1933
On the banks of the Mersey, over on Cheshire side,
Lies Runcorn, that's best known to fame
By Transporter Bridge as tak's folks over its stream,
Or else brings 'em back across same.

In days afore Transporter Bridge were put up,
A Ferry Boat lay in the slip,
And old Ted the Boatman would row folks across
At tuppence per person per trip.

Now Runcorn lay over on one side of stream,
And Widnes on t'other side stood,
And as nobody wanted to go either place -
Well, the trade wasn't any too good.

One ev'ning, to Ted's superlative surprise,
Three customers came into view -
A Mister and Missus Ramsbottom it were,
And Albert, their little son, too.

'Ow much for the three?' Mister Ramsbottom asked,
As 'is 'and to 'is pocket did dip.
Ted said 'Same for three as it would be for one:
Per tuppence per person per trip.'

'Y'not charging tuppence for that little lad?'
Said Mother, her eyes flashing wild.
'Per tuppence per person per trip,' answered Ted,
'Per woman, per man, or per child.'

'Fivepence for three, that's the most that I'll pay,'
Said Father, 'Don't waste time in t'talk.'
'Per tuppence per person per trip,' answered Ted,
'And them as can't pay 'as to walk.'

'We can walk an' all,' said Father.
'Come, Mother, it's none so deep, t'weather's quite mild.'
So into the water the three of them stepped -
The father, the mother, the child.

The further they paddled the deeper it got,
But they wouldn't give in once t'begun;
In the spirit that's made Lancashire what it is,
They'd sooner be drownded than done.

Very soon the old people were up to their necks
And the little lad clean out of sight.
Said Father, 'Where's Albert?' and Mother replied,
'I've got 'old of 'is 'and, 'e's all right.'

'Twere just at that moment Pa got an idea,
And floundering back to old Ted,
'E said, 'We've walked that way -
Come, tak' us the rest for half-price, that's a penny a head.

But Ted wasn't standing for none o' that there,
And making an obstinate lip,
'Per tuppence per person per trip,' Ted replied,
'Per trip or per part of per trip.'

'All right then,' says Father,
'Let me tak' the boat and I'll pick up the others half-way,
I'll row them across and I'll bring the boat back
And thrupence in t'bargain I'll pay.'

'Twere money for nothing. Ted answered 'Right-o,'
And Father got 'old of the sculls.
With the sharp end o' boat t'wards middle of stream
'E were there in a couple of pulls.

'E got Mother out - it were rather a job -
With the water she weighed half a ton;
Then, pushing the oar down the side of the boat,
Started fishing around for his son.

When poor little Albert came up to the top
'Is collar was soggy and limp,
And with 'olding 'is breath at the bottom so long
'Is face were as red as a shrimp.

Pa took them across and 'e brought the boat back,
And 'e said to old Ted on the slip,
'Wilt row me across by myself?'
Ted said 'Aye! at per tuppence per person per trip.'

When they got t'other side Father laughed fit to bust,
'E'd got best of bargain, y'see,
'E'd worked it all out and 'e'd got 'is own way and
'E'd paid nobbut fivepence for three.

===================================================
PS: Just remembered I've posted that before :oops:
gaz

Post by gaz »

thirdcrank wrote:PS: Just remembered I've posted that before :oops:

But I missed it first time, so thanks for posting it again.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

You'd need to be a very quick reader to read and understand this airport Car Park sign without stopping:

This also applies to the very common notices giving advance warning of roadworks (advance as in in the future, not just up the road ahead).

These 4 foot square yellow signs are low on the ground, contain about 6 lines of text with the critical dates being handwritten over poorly erased earlier ones.

Can anyone claim to have read all of one of these whilst moving at any speed above a traffic jam crawl?
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Grandad wrote:

This also applies to the very common notices giving advance warning of roadworks (advance as in in the future, not just up the road ahead).

These 4 foot square yellow signs are low on the ground, contain about 6 lines of text with the critical dates being handwritten over poorly erased earlier ones.

Can anyone claim to have read all of one of these whilst moving at any speed above a traffic jam crawl?

But the consequences of failing to notice the details on an information notice are rather less severe than than failing to notice a no stopping sign while trying to spot the correct exit off a roundabout for the drop-off parking. IMO this:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3377136,-2.8587363,3a,41.1y,184.64h,91.09t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1svbN0CHurjR86GYbtqgG7vA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
is bordering on entrapment.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've only been to the grandiosely named John Lennon airport that once. I knew I'd be arriving in the dark, and I know from the experience of doing Dad's taxi duties elsewhere that the signs can be confusing. (I'm convinced that somebody who is totally familiar with the location specifies the signs, possibly getting somebody else who is familiar to review their handiwork, there's general agreement that you'd have to be blind not to see it, and nobody checks if strangers to the area can follow the information.) Having been encouraged by the airport website to pre-book it quoted me almost £40 for the 30 minutes to pick up two arriving passengers. Presumably a glitch but it may be why some people have tried to park on the service roads. Fortunately for me, the google car had been right through the airport so I was able to rehearse my trip several times and when I arrived there, it was as though I had been before.

All these seedy little places seem the same including the grandiosely named Leeds Bradford International Airport. :lol: