Next conspicuity aid.

Mike Sales

Next conspicuity aid.

Post by Mike Sales »

I wonder what conspicuity aid we will be pressured to use next.

From rear lights we have moved on through white paint on the end of the mudguard via a variety of reflectors, hiviz, flashing lights, daylight lights, to leds on the back of the helmet. Each has been proposed because the last failed to make us perceptible to drivers. What next I wonder? High power strobes (these had a short vogue)? Multicoloured flashing lights? Any ideas for the next ineffective gadget. Or even an effective gadget! Because daylight lights and helmet leds will fail too.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
gaz

Re: Next conspicuity aid.

Post by gaz »

If you can't beat them :wink: .
[youtube]sjCjbV2EnJ4[/youtube]
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

What about helium filled coloured balloons? Would also make your bike effectively lighter.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

If you don't feel the pressure then that question is irrelevant. I only use what I feel is common sense and don't listen to those who might want to apply pressure.

Don't listen to non-cyclists or campaigners.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

gaz wrote:If you can't beat them :wink: .
[youtube]sjCjbV2EnJ4[/youtube]

Excellent :lol:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Tangled Metal wrote:If you don't feel the pressure then that question is irrelevant. I only use what I feel is common sense and don't listen to those who might want to apply pressure.

I am well able to resist the pressure. I regard my lack of helmet and hiviz as setting a good example.
What annoys me is that there is so much advice from the road safety industry to cyclists, but these people always forget to mention the Highway Code advice to motorists in paragraph 126.
"Stopping Distances. Drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear. "
It's also a bit disappointing that so many cyclists swallow the nonsense.
The question is not really irrelevant. If you take the pressure seriously it seems to me there is no good reason why yet another useless item should not be added when most of us have adopted daylight lights. Today I saw a cyclist with hiviz and a flashing light as well as ****. I have seen a rider with strobe, hiviz and **** riding on the pavement!
Cycling is not an extreme sport needing all this clobber. People should feel able to ride in normal gear, so that a bike can be an ordinary way of going about one's daily life.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Sums it up perfectly, but, how do you counter it? Been shouted at by all types of cyclists and peds, to 'wear a helmet', never going to win that one :-(
Similarly, confrontations with car drivers, cycling round our local country lanes, who drive way too fast, then claim that they never expected me to be there! If they followed para 126, life would be nearly perfect :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Tangled Metal wrote:If you don't feel the pressure then that question is irrelevant. I only use what I feel is common sense and don't listen to those who might want to apply pressure.

+1 - based on what my own eyes see when I am on the road. Most of the "pressure", as far as I can see, is advertising "Brighter is Better" (not necessarily), "you need our latest xyz eyeball burner" - you don't, "you must have our flashing gizmos"- which are often too small to be of any use, or just confuse the eye or distance perception - or both.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
esuhl

Post by esuhl »

Love the BikeCar! I wonder how much it weighs?

In a similar vein, these bikes are supposed to highlight how much rooms take up on the road compared to bikes. But they're fairly conspicuous. :-)

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/ ... rs/381300/