cars buck falling CO2 trend

NUKe

cars buck falling CO2 trend

Post by NUKe »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43308567

But Paul Morozzo, from Greenpeace, told BBC News: "SUV sales have had more of an impact on average CO₂ emissions than the shift away from diesel.

think this is one of the most telling comments in the whole article
NUKe

Re: cars buck falling CO2 trend

Post by Bonefishblues »

I think this is the most telling one:

Britain's carbon emissions have sunk to the level last seen in 1890 – the year before penalties were first awarded in football.

Now we've rejoiced in that news, let's knock some other things over. The targets are obvious, and we know how to do it.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Bonefishblues wrote:I think this is the most telling one:

Britain's carbon emissions have sunk to the level last seen in 1890 – the year before penalties were first awarded in football.

Now we've rejoiced in that news, let's knock some other things over. The targets are obvious, and we know how to do it.

That is sloppy journalism The peak was 1990, I had just ignored that fact when I read the article.
NUKe

Post by Bonefishblues »

NUKe wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I think this is the most telling one:

That is sloppy journalism The peak was 1990, I had just ignored that fact when I read the article.

So I shouldn't be pleased?
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Obviously good that CO2 emissions from these islands is falling but remember this is only half the story. In 1890's we were making lots of steel and other stuff... now we import it, simply shifting the emissions elsewhere.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

NUKe wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43308567

But Paul Morozzo, from Greenpeace, told BBC News: "SUV sales have had more of an impact on average CO₂ emissions than the shift away from diesel.

think this is one of the most telling comments in the whole article

+1

Tackling the scourge of the ***panzer should be the governments next focus
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Icsunonove wrote:Obviously good that CO2 emissions from these islands is falling but remember this is only half the story. In 1890's we were making lots of steel and other stuff... now we import it, simply shifting the emissions elsewhere.
Spot on.

I remember as a kid, seeing row upon row of terraced houses with coal fires and their smoke filling the sky.
These days, most folk use gas.

Just think what it was like in 1890.
Mick F. Cornwall
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I do not believe for 1 minute that the Peak was 1890, and a quick search through the data reveals for the UK, they probably mean 1990, carbon into the Atmosphere generally refers to CO2 and is not really referring to smoke. CO2 is generated a number of ways burning of fossil fuels for power production and travel. Concrete production is very high producer of CO2.

China is looking at peak fossil fuels by 2030, but they are still a developing nation.
NUKe

Post by Bonefishblues »

Unalloyed bad news and poor journalism I guess. :(
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

This simply reinforces the fact that the diesel agenda is a placebo to make it look as if we are doing something about pollution. Electric Vehicles are the same, their particulate emission is only a couple of percent below that of a diesel or petrol vehicle

There needs to be serious examination of the use of ALL vehicles and reduce use across the board
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Agree completely.

The diesel issue is a separate one though, and a local one. Not the CO2 but the muck and the particulates.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What sort of muck that can not yet be measured are the engines spewing out?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

As far as I know, the particulates and the smoke CAN be measured.
Only a week or two ago, we were behind a car that pulled away off a roundabout, and it left a big black trail on the road behind it. This stuff can be measured, and locally too. Air quality is measured on a regular basis just on the main road near here.

CO2 on the other hand, is a totally different thing and affects the whole planet.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cunobelin wrote:This simply reinforces the fact that the diesel agenda is a placebo to make it look as if we are doing something about pollution. Electric Vehicles are the same, their particulate emission is only a couple of percent below that of a diesel or petrol vehicle

There needs to be serious examination of the use of ALL vehicles and reduce use across the board

What's the "diesel aganda"?

Why will it not make a difference?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I've worked in car R&D, so can offer some insight - with a personal opinion as well :roll:
Old diesels (from 80's) appeared to give out a lot of harmful smoke, but in reality the human body wasn't affected too badly - nasal passages trapping the large particles, and preventing any bad contamination to the lungs. Scroll forward to newer diesels, and the situation became worse, with very small particles (invisible) able to get through the nasal 'trap' and cause real damage to the lungs and upper respiratory tract - hence the introduction of diesel particulate traps more recently, which reduce the small particles considerable. These can purge (I've seen very new cars doing this when pulling away quickly) putting a huge cloud of smoke out, which appears dreadful, but is not as injurious as the small particles.
My personal take on it is that we are (as a government and manufacturers) doing mostly what 'appears to be good' but all the while moving to larger cars which give worse economy (and hence emissions) than the same tech would give in lighter/smaller cars. The move to electric may not be the golden goose (politically motivated? not reliant on middle east supply) that it appears - there's the horrible chemicals in batteries, lots of weight to carry around, infastructure of charging supply etc etc. These factors seem to be conveniently 'missed' by the advocates of electric, and the 'tailpipe zero emissions' is used to convince the populace that they are zero emissions. Most of the parts for elec cars will be made in China, powered by old gas and coal fired stations, so is that good? If the governments of the World were seriously tackling pollution they'd insist we all rode bikes! It's all about selling new product :(