Fine Idiot Drivers

661-Pete

Re: Fine Idiot Drivers

Post by 661-Pete »

gaz wrote:Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti.

But they don't call it møøse in Sweden. It's älgkött - often served up in restaurants there. We didn't try it... :?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

661-Pete wrote: ... The Spanish for 'billy goat' is cabrón. Anyone with a smattering of Spanish will certainly know that the word has another meaning. You could risk yelling it out at any Spanish motorist who close-passes you. But be circumspect - or else the next pass he makes will be a lot closer than close!

My Spanish is about as good as Manuel in Fawlty Towers, although I do know - or believe -that a question begins with an inverted question mark: ¿Que?

With a bit of googling I found this, which I presume is a wind up, in an attempt to spoil some holidays on the Costas.

It is a term of respect in Spanish, much like Sir in English. For example, you might say, “Nice to meet you , Cabron.” or “Cabron, please take my order.” When you travel to Spanish speaking countries, your old world courtesy, displayed by the use of this word, will get you much attention. You can certainly expect reciprocity.

https://www.quora.com/What-does-Cabrón- ... -in-Mexico

Plenty of other explanations in there which I won't quote, which make it clear it's a term of abuse.

PS. They do say a nod's as good as a wink but I can't get a three billy goats gruff of any sort to download :(
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

You know, I've been thinking a bit about this thread's title. Then it dawned on me:
Tommy Cooper (just like that!) wrote:"So somebody actually complimented me on my driving today. They left a little note on the windscreen, it said 'Parking Fine.' So that was nice."
Explains a lot. :twisted:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
hemo

Post by hemo »

Nice to see good humour when things start to get silly :D, though not as silly as the OP's initial post.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

There's lots of words to describe idiot drivers but fine isn't one of them.....
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Criminal
Terrorist
Moton
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I should perhaps add a 'not-so-silly' rider to all this.

I did, as I said, 'report' the petition for being misleading. To do that I had to sign up to change.org. Now I've got an E-mail urging me to 'sign' that same petition :evil: . Rest assured I shall not comply... :)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

661-Pete wrote:I should perhaps add a 'not-so-silly' rider to all this. ...

Dangerous territory describing any rider as silly. :wink:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

661-Pete wrote:
gaz wrote:Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti.

But they don't call it møøse in Sweden. It's älgkött - often served up in restaurants there. We didn't try it... :?

älgkött is the word for the meat.

The animal is älg
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Criminal
Terrorist
Moton

There are lots of words to describe descriptions of idiot driver. Over and reaction are two of them.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:I should perhaps add a 'not-so-silly' rider to all this.

I did, as I said, 'report' the petition for being misleading. To do that I had to sign up to change.org. Now I've got an E-mail urging me to 'sign' that same petition :evil: . Rest assured I shall not comply... :)

Can one vote AGAINST a petition, or is '+1' the only option?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies