Self driving car kills pedestrian.

squeaker

Re: Self driving car kills pedestrian.

Post by squeaker »

mercalia wrote:
Ellieb wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business-44460980/this-car-is-on-autopilot-what-happens-next
This is a bit scary

not very clever is it?

Arguably, following the car in front too closely :roll:
"42"
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

The idea of an "assisted" mode that follows the lane but has limited evasive action bothers me. I was under the impression that the reason Britain's motorways continually curve is to prevent drivers falling asleep on long journeys with clear(ish) roads. A car that effectively straightens all lanes removes that small advantage, so I can imagine even careful drivers zoning out to the point where their next reaction to change is too slow.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I think it's fair to say that self/assisted driving cars are nowhere near ready to be let loose on the roads as yet,one yes but not yet eh?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
the_twin

Post by the_twin »

So now it seems the safety driver was streaming a TV show before the collision rather than paying attention.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

squeaker wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Ellieb wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business-44460980/this-car-is-on-autopilot-what-happens-next
This is a bit scary

not very clever is it?

Arguably, following the car in front too closely :roll:

We have no information about what the cars sensors saw - the only thing we do absolutely know is that it wasn't a car that it damaged. It didn't look like it even did an emergency stop - potentially 'looking' straight through the dummy to the the car in front, and stopping nicely behind that.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

the_twin wrote:So now it seems the safety driver was streaming a TV show before the collision rather than paying attention.

Link?
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/2 ... ce_report/
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.