NICE advice

craigbroadbent

NICE advice

Post by craigbroadbent »

NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) guidance for local authorities
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng90/chapter/Recommendations#strategies-policies-and-plans-to-increase-physical-activity-in-the-local-environment

Amongst other things

1.2.5 Ensure pedestrians, cyclists and users of other modes of transport that involve physical activity are given the highest priority when developing or maintaining streets and roads.
Use 1 or more of the following methods:
Re-allocate road space to support physically active modes of transport
Restrict motor vehicle access
Introduce road user charging
Introduce traffic-calming schemes to restrict vehicle speeds

IS the car is in retreat?
gaz

Re: NICE advice

Post by gaz »

I'm preparing a response to a Highways England consultation on "junction improvements" for the local cycle forum. I've now added a few references to the latest NICE guidance.

craigbroadbent wrote:IS the car is in retreat?

If it is then it still has powerful friends that will fight for every inch of ground that the car is asked to concede.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Unfortunately, this advice isn't some sort of medial breakthrough of the golden bullet type, but rather it's long been common knowledge.

A couple of decades ago, I was a party to a public inquiry in Leeds into a traffic scheme so I was served loads of documentary evidence which had been offered by other parties. One of these was the Medical Officer of Health for the city. (I hope I've got the title right.) His deposition began by listing his qualifications and experience and went on to explain his role in advising the local authority on public health matters.

He then went on to write on the lines "I am surprised that I am never consulted over traffic schemes and seem to be ignored when I submit my concerns about the effect of traffic on public health." (That's all from memory, the paperwork is long-gone.)

That's not to say it's not worth knowing. If the OP link had been avallable in those days, it would have figured high in all my correspondence to highwaymen and I'm pleased to see that gaz is in there already, but not counting any unahatched chickens.
esuhl

Post by esuhl »

Nah -- it's Orwellian Newspeak from the Ministry of Truth. Looks doubleplusgood on paper, eh?

craigbroadbent wrote:Re-allocate road space to support physically active modes of transport

Remove bus-stop lay-bys and widen the pavement.
Paint bike symbols in the gutter every 100 metres.

craigbroadbent wrote:Restrict motor vehicle access

Add the words, "All through traffic" to a directional sign in the hope that motorists will ignore their maps, sat-nav, and local knowledge and take a longer route.

craigbroadbent wrote:Introduce road user charging

Ha ha! That must be a tacit acknowledgement that no one influential is ever going to read their advice! I swear they must've been giggling when they wrote that!

craigbroadbent wrote:Introduce traffic-calming schemes to restrict vehicle speeds

Put up a sign up saying, "Welcome to Quaintsville" and paint white circles on the road with the speed limit. Just in case drivers aren't actually looking around for road signs.
Last edited by esuhl on 23 Mar 2018, 11:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

esuhl wrote:

Nah -- it's Orwellian Newspeak from the Ministry of Truth. Looks doubleplusgood on paper, eh?

craigbroadbent wrote:Re-allocate road space to support physically active modes of transport

Remove bus-stop lay-bys and widen the pavement.
Paint bike symbols in the gutter every 100 metres.

craigbroadbent wrote:Restrict motor vehicle access

Add the words, "All through traffic" to a directional sign in the hope that motorists will ignore their maps, sat-nav, and local knowledge and take a longer route.

craigbroadbent wrote:Introduce road user charging

Ha ha! That must be a tacit acknowledgement that no one influential is ever going to read their advice! I swear they must've been giggling when they wrote that!

craigbroadbent wrote:Introduce traffic-calming schemes to restrict vehicle speeds

Put up a sign up saying, "Welcome to Quaintsville" and paint white circles on the road with the speed limit. Just in case drivers aren't actually looking around for road signs.

Trouble is the paint wears away and is not renewed
A road near me has a maximum speed limit of 3 kmh :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies