RAC says new headlights 'blinding drivers'

thirdcrank

RAC says new headlights 'blinding drivers'

Post by thirdcrank »

Only a BBC summary so perhaps the study's authors mention that it's not just other drivers who suffer. On the contrary, automatic dipping systems seem oblivious to anything other than an anti-aircraft searchlight coming the other way, although that may be why so many cyclists have joined this arms race

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43525525
Cunobelin

Re: RAC says new headlights 'blinding drivers'

Post by Cunobelin »

Cyclist suffer from poor design.

Vehicle headlights are filtered and focussed which lessens the issue

Most bike lights are simply a full conical beam
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Can we have a dishonourable mention for those motorcyclists who feel it is acceptable to ride around with their headlights on full beam?
gaz

Post by gaz »

thirdcrank wrote:Only a BBC summary so perhaps the study's authors mention that it's not just other drivers who suffer.

https://www.rac.co.uk/press-centre#/pre ... ts-2458363
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

gaz wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:Only a BBC summary so perhaps the study's authors mention that it's not just other drivers who suffer.

https://www.rac.co.uk/press-centre#/pre ... ts-2458363

Thanks for that. Unless I've missed something - "I was dazzled M'Lud" - no consideration at all for the rest of society having their eyeballs burned.

Considering how many drivers are apparently vulnerable to being dazzled by the sun, this attitude is understandable, if deplorable. :evil:
gaz

Post by gaz »

Asked if there should be better regulation in place to prevent manufacturers fitting vehicles with headlights that are too bright 80% of motorists questioned by the RAC felt this was necessary. Twelve per cent were undecided, and only 8% disagreed.

There are regulations and standards on vehicle lighting to ensure that they are not "too bright". Manufacturers fit lights that meet the regulations.

Is this a suggestion that as well as cheating exhaust emission tests manufacturers are cheating light emission tests too? Do headlights give off more glare in real world use than when they are on test? :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

gaz wrote:
Asked if there should be better regulation in place to prevent manufacturers fitting vehicles with headlights that are too bright 80% of motorists questioned by the RAC felt this was necessary. Twelve per cent were undecided, and only 8% disagreed.

There are regulations and standards on vehicle lighting to ensure that they are not "too bright". Manufacturers fit lights that meet the regulations.

Is this a suggestion that as well as cheating exhaust emission tests manufacturers are cheating light emission tests too? Do headlights give off more glare in real world use than when they are on test? :wink:

I do suspect that in the real world, with bumps & gradients in the road, that the tests may not be truly illustrative of the lights' behaviour.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

gaz wrote:

Quite possible
I saw a vw with huge letters on the side, in the font used by vw:
Das Luegenauto
The car of lies

I have just upgraded from vw to seat to avoid getting involved :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
gaz wrote:

Quite possible
I saw a vw with huge letters on the side, in the font used by vw:
Das Luegenauto
The car of lies

I have just upgraded from vw to seat to avoid getting involved :wink:

You have just bought another car from the Volkswagen Audi Group to avoid getting involved exactly how? :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

It comes from Spain surely %)

The vw plant is in Wolfsburg (number plate WOB), we say that means 'Wessi ohne Bildung' (uneducated West-German)

Quite a funny bit of German humour IMHO
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

We have just had the headlights of a local muppet changed!

He has two sets, one ultra bright and the other blue

Sent a rear dashcam video into the local Constabulary showing one of their cars with flashing blue lights ( in reality just a bad road surface) tailgating and speeding

We had assumed that it was a Police vehicle, and the fact it was some local muppet never occurred :o

A week later he has new lights, new number plates and new wheels
ThePinkOne

Post by ThePinkOne »

I think the increasing number of SUVs and other stupidly-big-ego-bricks-on-wheels is also a factor.

Sitting higher than "normal" cars, they are not as affected by misaligned headlights. In addition, the LED/HID type headlights are a much bluer light, which seems to be more dazzling. The Mercs and Landrover/Rangerovers seem to have the lights which are both blue-toned and mounted higher up.

TPO
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

ThePinkOne wrote:In addition, the LED/HID type headlights are a much bluer light, which seems to be more dazzling. The Mercs and Landrover/Rangerovers seem to have the lights which are both blue-toned and mounted higher up.

TPO

There are strict regs on light colour - I don't find LED/HIDs bluer, I find them whiter, as opposed to the slightly warmer hue of a regular bulb.
nickp

Post by nickp »

Isn't at least part of the problem with headlights is the regulations that specify minimum wattages for different classes of vehicle? This was all very well in the days of incandescent bulbs but now with LEDs, the light they output per watt of electricity input has increased enormously.

We now light our whole house with LEDS. With them all switched on they use about 250 watts. Previously it would have taken a couple of kilowatts with them all lit up.

Legislation needs to keep up with the technology, and move from input specification to output.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
ThePinkOne wrote:In addition, the LED/HID type headlights are a much bluer light, which seems to be more dazzling. The Mercs and Landrover/Rangerovers seem to have the lights which are both blue-toned and mounted higher up.

TPO

There are strict regs on light colour - I don't find LED/HIDs bluer, I find them whiter, as opposed to the slightly warmer hue of a regular bulb.

There's strict laws on all kinds of things on motors which aren't being enforced.
A couple of examples:- this week I've witnessed umpteen cars with serious lighting faults(in the past I've done a count on a regular 20mile motorway jouney counted between 15 and 25),mainly one headlight jobs or one out of three stop lights working,or one light on the rear not working but also misaligned headlights.
Big HGV's festooned with blue or green or a mixture of both,forward facing LED's all over the front of them.
A couple of others:-
Italic script,or wrong sized reg plates.
The occasional car or more likely vans with one tyre seriously underinflated.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden