Condition of my local cycle path

Vorpal

Re: Condition of my local cycle path

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The same here, many cycleways are still covered with grit put down during the snow weeks ago
It would be easy to sweep it up to re-use next winter
Maybe there is no overtime budget left after the snow
The motor roads are perfectly clear of course

In Norway, they gather up the gravel that they spead in winter. I believe it's reused, but I don't know how it's managed. Lots of people start complaining this time of year that the cycleways haven't been cleaned, yet, but I think they usually wait until late April in my area because it prevents slipping in the ice that happens when snow and ice melt during the day and refreeze at night.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
gaz

Post by gaz »

RecumbentRide wrote:I've put up A4 posters in various spots along the route but it occurred to me that I might be breaking the law and may need permission. I plan on taking them down in a week or so if they haven't already been removed. Anyone know what the rules are?

If you are concerned about the legal niceties* of putting up A4 posters you might want to give some thought to the legal position of voluntarily carrying out maintenance to the public highway.

*Summary, since you asked.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:The same here, many cycleways are still covered with grit put down during the snow weeks ago
It would be easy to sweep it up to re-use next winter
Maybe there is no overtime budget left after the snow
The motor roads are perfectly clear of course

In Norway, they gather up the gravel that they spead in winter. I believe it's reused, but I don't know how it's managed. Lots of people start complaining this time of year that the cycleways haven't been cleaned, yet, but I think they usually wait until late April in my area because it prevents slipping in the ice that happens when snow and ice melt during the day and refreeze at night.

It is 'verunreinigt', mixed with other rubbish, maybe only clean new gravel may be used in Germany
Roads on bridges are problematic, they cool faster than roads on land
A new bridge at Berkenthin is equipped with pipes carrying warmth from the bowels of the earth to stop it freezing, seems a good idea but quite expensive
Only works down to - 10, but then the roads are gritted anyway
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 2 Apr 2018, 9:27am, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Vorpal wrote:In Norway, they gather up the gravel that they spead in winter. I believe it's reused, but I don't know how it's managed. Lots of people start complaining this time of year that the cycleways haven't been cleaned, yet, but I think they usually wait until late April in my area because it prevents slipping in the ice that happens when snow and ice melt during the day and refreeze at night.

It is 'verunreinigt', mixed with other rubbish, maybe only clean new gravel may be used in Germany

I think they sift & wash it, but I'm not sure. Quarries do that to fresh gravel, as well, to keep the dust down. I imagine they would use the same equipment.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Username

Post by Username »

reohn2 wrote:
Username wrote:
A good idea would be to get dole people to do it. In return, they do not have to actually look for a job on the basis they are already doing one. So the dolies win by getting the JC off their backs, and the taxpayer wins by getting work done. 1 day per week isnt asking too much is it? Ofcourse as a government, its their job to be as inefficient as possible.

You seem to be advocating working for unemployment benefit,which indicates there's work needs doing and therefore there are jobs.In which case some of the people out of work could be offered a permanent job and paid a decent wage for it.

Only on the basis of doing work that otherwise doesnt get done, such as road repairs. Doing a full days voluntary work should also negate the typical requirements. Its making unemployment at least somewhat productive, or less unproductive, I dont know. Im not an economist :?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Username wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Username wrote:
A good idea would be to get dole people to do it. In return, they do not have to actually look for a job on the basis they are already doing one. So the dolies win by getting the JC off their backs, and the taxpayer wins by getting work done. 1 day per week isnt asking too much is it? Ofcourse as a government, its their job to be as inefficient as possible.

You seem to be advocating working for unemployment benefit,which indicates there's work needs doing and therefore there are jobs.In which case some of the people out of work could be offered a permanent job and paid a decent wage for it.

Only on the basis of doing work that otherwise doesnt get done, such as road repairs. Doing a full days voluntary work should also negate the typical requirements. Its making unemployment at least somewhat productive, or less unproductive, I dont know. Im not an economist :?

My point is that if there's a job needs doing it should follow that a proper wage should be paid for doing that job with people employed on a regular basis with a decent living wage paid for such work.
Working for subsistence benefit is the thin end of a slavery wedge and taken to it's logical conclusion would lead to everyone being paid subsistence benefits for working.

If prisoners were employed as part of their rehabilitation and payback to society for their crimes I would have no problem with you proposal.

The UK operates a low tax economy and as a result those jobs that need doing and investment in services especially social services are suffering as a result,turning people into work slaves isn't the way out of that problem IMO.
Last edited by reohn2 on 2 Apr 2018, 12:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Meanwhile, on another path, but still in West Sussex (the DownsLink around the northern boundary of the old Shoreham Cement Works site) encroachment of a different (concrete) kind :shock: :evil:
Attachments
that's a 2m drop into the Adur river on the other side of the wooden fence...
that's a 2m drop into the Adur river on the other side of the wooden fence...
"42"
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

MikeF wrote:
RecumbentRide wrote:Fed up of putting up with the condition of my local cycle path and prompted by the selfless action of a retired railway worked I decided to take action and canvas other cyclists and the local highway authority as well as my local MP.

I've built a free website using Google sites here and am going to put up posters along the cycle path.

Has anyone else out there taken this route or how have you got action taken when local cycle facilities are failing. My communication with the local highways officer left a lot to be desired but it was interesting in that finances was not mentioned as a primary reason for doing nothing. That had more to do with his skills of observation or the fact cyclists come very low in his list of priorities.
Well done on the website. If Matt Southern is happy with that part of the highway he won't mind you shovelling that material onto another part of the highway eg the carriageway. :wink:

Well Mike it was the retired railway worker (Ken) who did the work. His view was it would help him lose a few calories and he'd save money on joining a gym :D

When I mentioned complaining to the local council and involving MP Peter Bottomly I won't mention what his response was to that suggestion as it might offend some folks.
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

squeaker wrote:Perhaps West Sussex CC Highways need one of these? (As well as a sensible budget :roll: )

Should have gone to Specsavers Matt Southern (West Sussex Highways officer) would still say "I can't honestly see what the problem is with the cycle paths" or something to that effect. I can't be bothered to listen to the voicemail he left. If he'd been honest and said "yes I can see they need doing but we simply don't have the resources" I'd have settled for that.

Like many things cutting back now often stores up far greater problems later on (...and many many times more expensive to rectify). But government doesn't seem to get that unfortunately :? Oh and I'm talking about social issues rather than the cycle/pedestrian paths
Username

Post by Username »

reohn2 wrote:
Username wrote:
reohn2 wrote:You seem to be advocating working for unemployment benefit,which indicates there's work needs doing and therefore there are jobs.In which case some of the people out of work could be offered a permanent job and paid a decent wage for it.

The UK operates a low tax economy and as a result those jobs that need doing and investment in services especially social services are suffering as a result,turning people into work slaves isn't the way out of that problem IMO.

The UK is a "low tax economy"! That's a bit like saying space is a small place. High earners pay at least 40% of their wages in income tax alone. Petrol and deisel have god knows how much in fuel duty, plus the vat on the fuel duty, or a tax on tax. In addition to paying income tax and national insurance, we also have to pay 20% on pretty much everything that we dont eat. We then also have ****in council tax and a license to own something with a screen. Didnt they also recently increase taxes on insurance too? Dont know what taxes companies pay, but I imagine its substantial. If I were to setup a business, the taxation levels in this country would certainly make me consider whether or not to setup elsewhere.

And whats with all these cuts to funding we always hear about? Cut, cuts and more cuts. Where does that money actually go? Into a black hole for all I know, you never here of those specifically.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Username wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Username wrote:

The UK is a "low tax economy"! That's a bit like saying space is a small place. High earners pay at least 40% of their wages in income tax alone. Petrol and deisel have god knows how much in fuel duty, plus the vat on the fuel duty, or a tax on tax. In addition to paying income tax and national insurance, we also have to pay 20% on pretty much everything that we dont eat. We then also have ****in council tax and a license to own something with a screen. Didnt they also recently increase taxes on insurance too? Dont know what taxes companies pay, but I imagine its substantial. If I were to setup a business, the taxation levels in this country would certainly make me consider whether or not to setup elsewhere.

And whats with all these cuts to funding we always hear about? Cut, cuts and more cuts. Where does that money actually go? Into a black hole for all I know, you never here of those specifically.

And you would have people work for their benefits?
Benefits that provide only subsistence living.
This country is the 5th richest in the world,and we can't mend the roads cycle paths and footways to anything like a decent standard.Please don't tell we're a high tax economy,we simply aren't,and if you think leaving the EU will be a silver bullet,think again.
Do some googling on comparison taxes paid in the EU
Last edited by reohn2 on 2 Apr 2018, 8:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
Username

Post by Username »

reohn2 wrote:
Username wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

This country is the 5th richest in the world,and we can't mend the roads cycle paths and doorways to anything like a decent standard.Please don't tell we're a high tax economy,we simply aren't,and if you think leaving the EU will be a silver bullet,think again.

I need to be more specific, working for benefits would be optional, and the amount of work done would be so that the amount you receive in benefits for said work would be at or above the living wage. I believe JSA or UC is about £70 per week. So for 1 8 hour day that would mean £8.75 per hour. Doing this would also make other requirements non mandatory, basically they would not be able to sanction you for not looking for work that week. I say this as something I wouldn't have minded doing when I was on the dole going out of my mind, plus it would give me experience. You do have a valid point with regards to the possible impact it would have. Its not a perfect solution but then I dont think there is one.

With regards to the EU, I never even voted. I have no idea of what happens, or the benefits and cons of either outcome so I was not in a position to vote. Should I have tried to research it? Probably, but I believe that any information would be biased one way or the other. I do think people voted because they wanted to end immigration, kind of like America voted Trump because he said he would ban muslims.

What would you consider a high tax economy? I only earn 20k, so no I dont pay substantial amounts in tax because I earn not that much, but like I said about higher earners. That is a huge proportion of their wages however you look at it.

Back to the cycle paths issue, one of the canal tow paths near me is being resurfaced, however it has been that way for about 2 months now, and its only last week that part of that section has been opened again. Thats a good sign :) if a little slow. There arent too many cyclepaths my way that are great for road only type bikes. However I dont live in a city so there isnt a huge need for them. The 1 cyclepath I do use into a city does seem to be in reasonable shape and not too bad in obstructions etc.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Username wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Username wrote:

This country is the 5th richest in the world,and we can't mend the roads cycle paths and doorways to anything like a decent standard.Please don't tell we're a high tax economy,we simply aren't,and if you think leaving the EU will be a silver bullet,think again.

I need to be more specific, working for benefits would be optional, and the amount of work done would be so that the amount you receive in benefits for said work would be at or above the living wage. I believe JSA or UC is about £70 per week. So for 1 8 hour day that would mean £8.75 per hour. Doing this would also make other requirements non mandatory, basically they would not be able to sanction you for not looking for work that week. I say this as something I wouldn't have minded doing when I was on the dole going out of my mind, plus it would give me experience. You do have a valid point with regards to the possible impact it would have. Its not a perfect solution but then I dont think there is one.

With regards to the EU, I never even voted. I have no idea of what happens, or the benefits and cons of either outcome so I was not in a position to vote. Should I have tried to research it? Probably, but I believe that any information would be biased one way or the other. I do think people voted because they wanted to end immigration, kind of like America voted Trump because he said he would ban muslims.

What would you consider a high tax economy? I only earn 20k, so no I dont pay substantial amounts in tax because I earn not that much, but like I said about higher earners. That is a huge proportion of their wages however you look at it.

Back to the cycle paths issue, one of the canal tow paths near me is being resurfaced, however it has been that way for about 2 months now, and its only last week that part of that section has been opened again. Thats a good sign :) if a little slow. There arent too many cyclepaths my way that are great for road only type bikes. However I dont live in a city so there isnt a huge need for them. The 1 cyclepath I do use into a city does seem to be in reasonable shape and not too bad in obstructions etc.

Around here, if you pay above the minimum wage you are going to be paying more than a lot of employers pay their staff.

I led teams of unemployed people working on projects such as improving public rights of way from about 2000 to 2015 and we did a lot of good work. But the idea was to pay a low wage so that participants did not get so comfortable in the role that they would not continue to look for a proper job.

There are problems. One is that the participants have a high turnover and therefore at any one time most will be new to the job, not experienced, and in need of a lot of supervision. Until they have been on expensive courses they cannot be handed some power tools or a knapsack sprayer. It is cheaper and a better use of public money to pay a professional team of longer term employees to do jobs they know well. Using unemployed people actually works out more expensive per km of verge strimmed or whatever.

With my own team I could have done more work with the same money if I had been able to actually properly employ a small number of the best motivated participants on a better wage. In other words, run it as a professional enterprise with real employees,
Last edited by pwa on 2 Apr 2018, 7:53pm, edited 2 times in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Username wrote:I need to be more specific, working for benefits would be optional, and the amount of work done would be so that the amount you receive in benefits for said work would be at or above the living wagections etc.

That to my mind is commonly termed as have a job and earning a living and rightly so.

I'm not going to go into the EU debate here other than link to this:- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_rates_in_Europe
You mentioned high earners taxes rates check out where the UK stands on income tax and particularly higher earners tax rates.

The idea is to get the job done to a high standard by a competent workforce at a competitive rate,PWA has beaten me to it as to why an inexperienced workforce are inefficient.
W H Auden
Username

Post by Username »

pwa wrote:
Username wrote:
reohn2 wrote:And you would have people work for their benefits?

Around here, if you pay above the minimum wage you are going to be paying more than a lot of employers pay their staff.

I led teams of unemployed people working on projects such as improving public rights of way from about 2000 to 2015 and we did a lot of good work. But the idea was to pay a low wage so that participants did not get so comfortable in the role that they would not continue to look for a proper job.

There are problems. One is that the participants have a high turnover and therefore at any one time most will be new to the job, not experienced, and in need of a lot of supervision. Until they have been on expensive courses they cannot be handed some power tools or a knapsack sprayer. It is cheaper and a better use of public money to pay a professional team of longer term employees to do jobs they know well. Using unemployed people actually works out more expensive per km of verge strimmed or whatever.

With my own team I could have done more work with the same money if I had been able to actually properly employ a small number of the best motivated participants on a better wage. In other words, run it as a professional enterprise with real employees,

Thats a textbook example of our government trying to implement the idea I suggested. If I suggested colonising mars they would end up neutralising sheep in Wales.

reohn2 wrote:
Username wrote:I need to be more specific, working for benefits would be optional, and the amount of work done would be so that the amount you receive in benefits for said work would be at or above the living wagections etc.

That to my mind is commonly termed as have a job and earning a living and rightly so.

I'm not going to go into the EU debate here other than link to this:- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_rates_in_Europe
You mentioned high earners taxes rates check out where the UK stands on income tax and particularly higher earners tax rates.

The idea is to get the job done to a high standard by a competent workforce at a competitive rate,PWA has beaten me to it as to why an inexperienced workforce are inefficient.

Fair enough, I stand corre..........how the hell do you get a corpse to stand??