TdeF Legacy.

thirdcrank

TdeF Legacy.

Post by thirdcrank »

Apparently there have been more crashes where cyclists were killed or injured in part of North Yorkshire, summarised in one BBC report :-

The number of people killed or seriously injured on the district's roads has fallen but cyclists seem to be bucking the county's improving road safety record.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-engla ... 0685eb449b

A slightly different slant here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-yo ... e-43581419
TrevA

Re: TdeF Legacy.

Post by TrevA »

Is this down to there being more cyclists, or the new breed of cyclists whose enthusiasm exceeds their skills and experience?

The modern breed of sporting cyclist hasn't grown up in the club environment, where you learned how to ride in a group on club rides, before you started racing or doing big group rides.

Nowadays, people buy a bike and just ride with their mates, then try something like the Fred Whitton. Don't they have a queue of ambulances on the Whitton, at the bottom of one of the trickier descents?

I've seen it in 3/4 cat road racing where there seems to be a crash every week. When I was road racing in the 80's there were hardly any crashes.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Thing TrevA has answered it perfectly.
How often are you passed by a group of 40 something mails puffing away , usually by the third or fourth in the line they're struggling to hang on , the roadcraft is out the window, they cut you.up
NUKe

Post by Audax67 »

I wouldn't worry. Cycling in Germany fell off sharply after Ulrich et al confessed to taking EPO & C°. Now that Froome & Sky are under the microscope, enthusiasm is due to wane.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

How is it in France? Just been reading about Paris-Roubaix, won 58 times by Belgians

I do wish the laws of physics could be changed so that one might cycle uphill without having to ride down again :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

No idea. I don't follow cycling that much. We do have excellent pharmacologists so I shouldn't think French teams would be any cleaner than anyone else.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

TrevA wrote:Is this down to there being more cyclists, or the new breed of cyclists whose enthusiasm exceeds their skills and experience?

The modern breed of sporting cyclist hasn't grown up in the club environment, where you learned how to ride in a group on club rides, before you started racing or doing big group rides.

Sadly, many of the new clubs set up for the MAMILs and similar have no tradition of good cycling practice to refer to. Worse, some older clubs are now overrun with hordes of wannabees who eschew such club traditions as the old-fashioned blather of daft old gimmers. They prefer Strava-striving and will often do anything to get some foolish virtual prize.

Many will become very aerobically fit on their turbos, as they go a-zwifting-oh. Sadly this does not inculcate 99% of the other cycling skills required when cycling in the real world. But they can keep up with the club rides albeit they tend to dart of the front, in and out the crocodile and all over the road. No roadcraft. No sense, really. All the sprog sins X ten!

I know of a new cycling club without traditions, of either touring or racing (they do neither) whose members go about in an undisciplined mob, all over the road and committing every cycling sin known to club-kind. Many are Stava strivers desperate for status in the virtual lists. Some will just cheat but others will take desperate risks to climb the greasy prize pole. I know of one such who killed himself going far too fast in order to get back his kom or whatever they are for a well-known dangerous descent. He is an emblem for all the others of his ilk.

There's a lot to be said for old-fashioned club disciplines and the skills they eventually produce, including the skill of pushing one's envelope of ability - down descents, in traffic, in a bunch and in other dangerous places - without paying a high price. But wannabees want to be "a racer" toot sweet ... preferably overnight and by means of buying some expensive technology and clothing that will somehow automatically recreate them as the desired "racer" as they pull on the Sky jersey and cock a leg over the Dogmatic.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

BBC wrote:Department for Transport records for North Yorkshire show in 2005 there were 34 cyclists killed or seriously injured on the county's roads. In the three years before the Grand Depart, the number had risen to 186 and in the three years after to 246.

I can't help feeling that this has rather more to do with the end of the War on the Motorist than a few more cyclists post 2014.
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

Perhaps somebody more local can comment on how local traffic levels are since the upgrading works to the nearby A66 and A1, are they all complete yet? I have ridden some roads around there in the past on a moderately regular basis for one summer, I don't recall seeing many other cyclists but traffic count data for the are suggests that there were rather more of them on the roads then compared to now (despite their huge increases in number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

IMO the stats need close examination for individual causes before any real world analysis can be reached
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden