Broken windows policy - STOP signs!

Should the cops stop drivers + cyclists who ignore STOP signs and give them a brief talking to?

Yes
34%
Yes, stop means stop
47%
Yes, drivers must be taught to read
9%
No
No votes
No, crawling over the line is ok
No votes
No need to stop, despite the law
4%
No, they have better things to do
6%
Dont matter,signs are unnecessary
No votes
No, the signs were put up for fun,1.4!
No votes

Total votes: 47

Bonefishblues

Re: Broken windows policy - STOP signs!

Post by Bonefishblues »

Way too big for its boots that one :)
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Jdsk wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:The modern hexagonal stop signs are distinctive too of course, 'Signs giving Orders': you MUST/MUST NOT

Certainly one of the most distinctive hexagons that I've ever seen.

Jonathan

LOL
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mikeymo wrote:
Jdsk wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:The modern hexagonal stop signs are distinctive too of course, 'Signs giving Orders': you MUST/MUST NOT

Certainly one of the most distinctive hexagons that I've ever seen.

Jonathan

LOL

The reason that sign is a unique shape is so it can still be recognised even if the wording is obscured or can't be read for some reason like being covered by snow. A Give Way sign is the other with a unique shape a down pointing triangle. All the rest of the "order" signs are round.

I like this version better though

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pete75 wrote:The reason that sign is a unique shape is so it can still be recognised even if the wording is obscured or can't be read for some reason like being covered by snow.

Or everyone driving a motor vehicle being immediately rendered illiterate?

; -)

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

With my apologies for having started a futile sidetrack, here's the other uniquely-shaped pre-Warboys sign.

SLOW MAJOR ROAD AHEAD
SLOW MAJOR ROAD AHEAD
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

That's much more interesting than policy proposals that are ill-informed, futile and repetitive.

Now reading about the Warboys Committee, thanks.

Jonathan
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote:With my apologies for having started a futile sidetrack, here's the other uniquely-shaped pre-Warboys sign.

OIP (2).jpg

The equivalent of the current give way sign. I love those old road signs and even bought a box of these at a village jumble sale last year. Was surprised to find a set in the original toy box as they must be over 50 years old.

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I'm in favour of the Idaho stop but not the California rolling stop. These options do not appear in the poll.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Changing the poll would zero all votes, there are already nine choices, ten is the maximum

Those sort-of stops from trumpland are complicated. I think traffic law should be as simple as possible

Stop means Stop!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pete75 wrote:The equivalent of the current give way sign. I love those old road signs and even bought a box of these at a village jumble sale last year. Was surprised to find a set in the original toy box as they must be over 50 years old.

I can't see that image. Safari on macOS.

Jonathan
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Stop means Stop!

This is what the highway code says:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/using-the-road-159-to-203 It's rule 171.

It's probably 20 years since I owned a manual transmission vehicle. But as far as I remember, I always applied the handbrake at Stop signs.

However:

https://www.diaryofanadi.co.uk/?p=4700#:~:text=Should%20I%20always%20use%20the,stopped%20when%20they%20haven't.

I now drive automatics. Where it's a bit easier to "stop" without using the handbrake, especially on an upwards hill.

I very much doubt that your proposed campaign of Stop sign enforcement will take place. But if it did we could expect to see some cases being decided upon some sort of definition of "creeping forward". And/or, possibly, "rolling backwards".
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Many cars, including mine, don't have a manual handbrake. I use the stop pedal and the parking break engages when I am stationary. Very easy but the manoeuvre is momentary if the road is clear. I suspect Cyril, if he were monitoring the junction, would mark me down as an illiterate criminal as the pause would be minimal.
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I believe the law says, ALL wheels must stop [even if just for a moment]

If one has a handbrake, it would be best to discipline oneself, apply, handbrake, start again, simples
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I believe the law says, ALL wheels must stop [even if just for a moment]

In England and Wales? Have you got a source for that, please?

Thanks

Jonathan

PS: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/362/schedule/9/made
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Jdsk wrote:
pete75 wrote:The equivalent of the current give way sign. I love those old road signs and even bought a box of these at a village jumble sale last year. Was surprised to find a set in the original toy box as they must be over 50 years old.

I can't see that image. Safari on macOS.

Jonathan

Serves you right for using an expensive toy instead of a proper computer. :wink: