Broken windows policy - STOP signs!

Should the cops stop drivers + cyclists who ignore STOP signs and give them a brief talking to?

Yes
34%
Yes, stop means stop
47%
Yes, drivers must be taught to read
9%
No
No votes
No, crawling over the line is ok
No votes
No need to stop, despite the law
4%
No, they have better things to do
6%
Dont matter,signs are unnecessary
No votes
No, the signs were put up for fun,1.4!
No votes

Total votes: 47

pete75

Re: Broken windows policy - STOP signs!

Post by pete75 »

Jdsk wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I believe the law says, ALL wheels must stop [even if just for a moment]

In England and Wales? Have you got a source for that, please?

Thanks

Jonathan

PS: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/362/schedule/9/made

From that link
Stop sign
1. Subject to paragraph 2, the requirements conveyed to vehicular traffic on roads by a stop sign are that—

(a)every vehicle must stop before crossing the transverse line provided for at item 1 of the sign table in Part 6 of this Schedule, or if that line is not clearly visible, before entering the major road in respect of which the stop sign has been provided; and
(b)no vehicle must cross the transverse line, or if that line is not clearly visible, enter the major road in respect of which the stop sign has been provided, so as to be likely to endanger any person, or to cause the driver of another vehicle to change its speed or course in order to avoid an accident.

(b) is the important bit. As long as a driver complies with that it matters little whether they stop or not.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I believe the law says, ALL wheels must stop [even if just for a moment]

If one has a handbrake, it would be best to discipline oneself, apply, handbrake, start again, simples

Like I said, no physical handbrake. It engages when I come to a complete standstill.
John
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

and
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

pete75 wrote:(b) is the important bit. As long as a driver complies with that it matters little whether they stop or not.

Not legally. The same wording about not endangering or making another vehicle change course/speed applies to give ways as well. a) is an additional requirement and, legally, must be obeyed.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

One thing's for sure and that is that in the absence of a crash, it's infinitely easier to enforce the STOP bit than the AND GIVE WAY.

That was true of the sign's predecessor HALT AT MAJOR ROAD AHEAD. eg After the original Wetherby bypass was opened, its junction with York Road (then the B1223) was a cross roads with HALT signs. The Wetherby Road Traffic unit regularly had a patrol car there, reporting drivers for not stopping and the resulting court cases were fully reported the the local rag. I was stopped on my bike and it was only later in life that I realised I was saved a visit to court by being only 14 and not worth the hassle of reporting a juvenile.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Stevek76 wrote:
pete75 wrote:(b) is the important bit. As long as a driver complies with that it matters little whether they stop or not.

Not legally. The same wording about not endangering or making another vehicle change course/speed applies to give ways as well. a) is an additional requirement and, legally, must be obeyed.

I meant practically not legally.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote:One thing's for sure and that is that in the absence of a crash, it's infinitely easier to enforce the STOP bit than the AND GIVE WAY.

That was true of the sign's predecessor HALT AT MAJOR ROAD AHEAD. eg After the original Wetherby bypass was opened, its junction with York Road (then the B1223) was a cross roads with HALT signs. The Wetherby Road Traffic unit regularly had a patrol car there, reporting drivers for not stopping and the resulting court cases were fully reported the the local rag. I was stopped on my bike and it was only later in life that I realised I was saved a visit to court by being only 14 and not worth the hassle of reporting a juvenile.

They built an A1 bypass and had a cross roads type junction with a B road? Cost saving taken to the extreme. Even here in Lincolnshire they managed a roundabout for similar junctions. :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

My best poll result, 88%agree with me :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It seems incredible that something that happened over 60 years ago seems so recent. Re: the other recent thread about being seen in the dark, I remember riding by there in the dark when the were still sorting out a bad crash and there was a policewoman - all in black, before hi-viz, swinging one of those Pifco lanterns to warn traffic in the days before the 70mph limit. The only saving grace was a tiny fraction of modern traffic.

Since then, the bypass has been bypassed, the Great North Road has become the A1(M) and traffic policing is little more than a memory.

On a personal note, I never dreamt in 1959 that by 1979 I'd be there at Wetherby Magistrates' Court giving it "May it please your worships."