High-Viz & day-lights

pjclinch

Re: High-Viz & day-lights

Post by pjclinch »

I used to wear hi-viz, because I'd noticed that I saw people in hi-viz much further away (me both driving and cycling). But I stopped when I realised that "further away" is a moot point if I can always manage to see people well within my reaction distance. And as long as I've been looking in the relevant direction, I can.

But what's the harm? The harm is it creates a uniform that is expected of cyclists, and thus potential cyclists, including people that don't want to wear it , so it becomes a barrier to more people cycling. Like helmets, if you want to wear it I don't want to stop you, but I am exceedingly miffed at pressure brought to bear on people to wear it under the very dubious assumption that it's irresponsible not to. Particularly the way it is forced on school children doing cycle training just before they become really image conscious and use it as a reason to give up cycling just after they've started.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
craigbroadbent

Post by craigbroadbent »

I think there is a strong case for mandating lights for all electric bikes, not just Speed Pedelecs.

My logic is that the main reason I don't present lights is that I have to remove them from the bike and I forget to take them with me, despite leaving them by the front door. If they were fixed to the bike I wouldn't be able to leave behind.
The other reason is that the batteries runout and I forget to recharge or replace batteries.

If the lights were integrated into the frame then they would be unlikely to be pinched. WIth LED fully sealed lights the chances of a bulb failing are tiny. Battery should always be charged as electric.
The cost I would estimate is pretty small. I would expect about £3-4.

I believe this is law in France, so perhaps they have some data on effectiveness?
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

craigbroadbent wrote:I believe this is law in France, so perhaps they have some data on effectiveness?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone at the French equivalent of DfT said (in translation) "well, this is bound to help, be safe, be seen and all that, there you go" and I wouldn't be further surprised if that was the extent of the data on effectiveness too. That does appear to be about what was used to require hi-viz, after all.

If you require lights on electric bikes then all non-electric bikes are now one step behind in the Arms Race and you've just given someone an excuse for trying to get off their Causing Death By Dangerous Driving charge by claiming of course they couldn't see the push-bike as it didn't have any lights on m'lud.

Pete.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

craigbroadbent wrote:I think there is a strong case for mandating lights for all electric bikes, not just Speed Pedelecs.

My logic is that the main reason I don't present lights is that I have to remove them from the bike and I forget to take them with me, despite leaving them by the front door. If they were fixed to the bike I wouldn't be able to leave behind.
The other reason is that the batteries runout and I forget to recharge or replace batteries.

If the lights were integrated into the frame then they would be unlikely to be pinched. WIth LED fully sealed lights the chances of a bulb failing are tiny. Battery should always be charged as electric.
The cost I would estimate is pretty small. I would expect about £3-4.

I believe this is law in France, so perhaps they have some data on effectiveness?

I only buy lights that have a higher power a "focussed" beam (Ixon IQ)

Why should I have to compromise my safety, my standards and inconvenience other road users because I am required to use a cheap and poorly designed light?
craigbroadbent

Post by craigbroadbent »

@Cunobolin

Not sure I specified a low quality light.
Any regulation would require a certain quality of light (colour and brightness) and visibility angles (no glare). Car lights have a E mark to show they meet the regulations.
Probably a much better setup than currently.
You could add extra lights if you want to.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

craigbroadbent wrote:@Cunobolin

Not sure I specified a low quality light.
Any regulation would require a certain quality of light (colour and brightness) and visibility angles (no glare). Car lights have a E mark to show they meet the regulations.
Probably a much better setup than currently.
You could add extra lights if you want to.

You may not, but any Manafacturer will, and any thought that they will not is naive

Look at the present bikes with internal lights and none would compare with the Ixus IQ
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

Wanlock Dod wrote:I don't think that giving motorists the impression that they don't need to look out for cyclists any more, because the cyclists will make them aware of their presence through the use of various conspicuity aids, is likely to have a positive impact on road safety.

Hang on - you mean that motorists believe that they have to look out for cyclists at the moment? Are you sure...?
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

brooksby wrote:
Wanlock Dod wrote:I don't think that giving motorists the impression that they don't need to look out for cyclists any more, because the cyclists will make them aware of their presence through the use of various conspicuity aids, is likely to have a positive impact on road safety.

Hang on - you mean that motorists believe that they have to look out for cyclists at the moment? Are you sure...?

They don't want to scratch their paintwork, so most feel obliged on at least that basis.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

pjclinch wrote:
brooksby wrote:

They don't want to scratch their paintwork, so most feel obliged on at least that basis.

:D