An account worth reading

Bonefishblues

Re: An account worth reading

Post by Bonefishblues »

The utility cyclist wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I really think he should not have resumed driving

Not being in a situation to harm anyone else could have helped with his psychological problems

One wonders whether he is a normal driver now, or is he especially careful?
Has he taken a course such as those for drivers caught exceeding the maximum speed limit?

OTOH everyone has the right to rehabilitate themselves and from reading his account I have a sense that he will prove to be an exceptionally careful driver.

Killer let off by police in writing contrite open letter to a public forum to garner sympathy/offload guilt/clickbait shocker, he was hardly going to write anything else was he!
You have a "sense" he'll be exceptionally careful, based on what evidence, a contrite piece in a broadsheet? :? :roll:
The reality is he does not nor will not be able to see his own mistakes, the police have basically said he hasn't made a mistake, his family/friends have said same, joe public almost to a man and the so called 'justice' system as well as yourself have absolved him, you've defended the killer throughout this thread, despite the flagrant breach of the HC, one that you won't or don't accept even when spelled out to you by another forum member as to why the killer was in the wrong and completely at fault, writing a contrite letter seemingly is enough for you and many to just move on, I think that's perverse. :evil:

Basically he will not learn because he doesn't know what he did wrong, he like most other motorists will continue to get lucky, continue to have close shaves, continue to have the technology in their motor vehicle get them out of trouble/scenarios that should never have occurred and continue to drive in exactly the same manner that causes circa half a million injuries* on our roads despite all the protection systems/devices in motor vehicles.
As I said before he even wades in right at the end of the article with his way of thinking and his insistence others (i.e. vulnerable road users) wear high visibility garments to give people like him a chance to see them. :twisted:
He has not learned a thing, still thinks the responsibility for safety lies more so with the vulnerable, at no point does he suggest anything he should have done, not once does he mention the 'hazards'/clues that would mean you slow right down and be aware of a vulnerable road user, not once does he say he was at fault in any aspect of what unfolded.
And you have a 'sense' he'll be "an exceptionally careful driver", I couldn't disagree with you more.

*latest government estimates which include non reported injuries

We look through different windows on the world and human nature.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:One wonders why the author was named
Was it his real name?
Maybe it would have been more appropriate to publish the article anonymously

Why? I saw it largely as a confession, and part of confession is being open.

In the catholic church, confessions are secret, thank the Lord
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
pwa wrote:
Was it his real name?

In the catholic church, confessions are secret, thank the Lord

I was brought up as a Catholic but gave it up decades ago. "Forgive me Father for I have sinned. It is 37 years since my last Confession....." :lol:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I could not see how to use his website, did anyone manage it? I did see, there is a chance of clap/approve but no chance to disapprove, - 1
Did brake accept the donated fee?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:
Was it his real name?

Not in the catholic church for example, there it is top secret
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

*white minnie couper*
Is that a fun vehicle to drive?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

This one is worth reactivating in relation to the threads about old drivers :(
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:This one is worth reactivating in relation to the threads about old drivers :(

Unless you can explain where the link might be, I'd suggest not. This was a middle-aged driver who struck and killed an elderly man who was a pedestrian, who later wrote an account of it.

I started it, and very shortly thereafter wished I hadn't, given the turn it took.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:This one is worth reactivating in relation to the threads about old drivers :(

Unless you can explain where the link might be, I'd suggest not. This was a middle-aged driver who struck and killed an elderly man who was a pedestrian, who later wrote an account of it.

I started it, and very shortly thereafter wished I hadn't, given the turn it took.

I am glad you started it, hoping for more interesting comments, not sure why you regretted it, care to explain?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

What is am glad you started it, hoping for more interesting comments

You said it was relevant. It really isn't, and if you are going to continue along the road that you took on the thread previously, I'd rather you didn't. Happy to continue on PM, should you choose.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Regretted starting the thread, why? Because some of us disagree with you?

I love reading different opinions! As long as they are clearly expressed, not in riddles, and no bad language of course

Plus One for diversity of opinion, tolerance of differing views, thread drift to related subjects!
Farms are 'dangerous' places with lots of machinery, sometimes rules are not observed
Read about a couple of cases where grandparents took their grandchildren out on the tractor, the child slipped off and died under the back wheel, the grandparents were offered counselling
Unclear whether they were punished or whether they published accounts of their experiences
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:There is a big problem with driving correctly, slowing down just in case when passing a bus &c
It is abnormal behaviour and irritates normal drivers
I have been driving regularly to work again, I thought I should always signal, but signalling to turn off on the nearside is often interpreted as an invitation to overtake, a lunatic made to overtake me before a blind bend

Driving safely and carefully provokes normal drivers, the best solution for me is to drive as little as possible (plenty of other reasons for that) but then the lunatics will take over the asylum :(

I still believe the impossible, mind (remember 1989!), that the cops will start enfarcing the law and that vehicles will refuse to perform illegal actions :wink:

I think that I have commented similarly before, but if people doing lunatic things around a driver is a regular occurrence, then the driver in question should consider what might be provoking

Provocation?! : obeying the law, keeping comfortably inside the maximum speed limit, applying the handbrake at the lights (costs a few milliseconds), keeping well back from the vehicle in front, coasting up to red lights, junctions, corners to avoid braking, halting at STOP signs!!!!

Could driving a small vehicle with a small engine be seen as provocation?

There are a couple of dodgy places on the way to work, one where a PoF was killed, where I am especially careful, doubtless normal drivers dislike that
pwa

Post by pwa »

Does anyone remember what this tired old thread is about? Surely it has been done to death.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:Does anyone remember what this tired old thread is about? Surely it has been done to death.

Some people insist on flogging a horse that's decomposing even :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

It is about drivers who kill, a very interesting subject that one knows little about

Plus thread drift of course

Not sure whether 'jokes' about dead horses are appropriate