An account worth reading

Bonefishblues

Re: An account worth reading

Post by Bonefishblues »

pwa wrote:
Vorpal wrote:
pwa wrote:I don't think the bus was there when the accident happened. I think it had already gone. The driver learned later that the victim had recently got off a bus.

I wasn't suggesting that the bus was still there, but surely he must have seen it?

Don't know. I don't think seeing it was mentioned. If the old man had been waiting to cross for a minute or two the bus could have been long gone.

From the account I believe this was the location of the death. The writer was travelling in the same direction as the Discovery parked in the bus layby, just having turned out onto the A148.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.91278 ... 312!8i6656
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One wonders why the author was named
Was it his real name?
Maybe it would have been more appropriate to publish the article anonymously
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Looked at his website
There is an approve function but no disapprove function
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

There is a R4 programme about this. I haven't listened to it yet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p063ywpf
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

He has received *hundreds of messages all# full of heart-warming compassion*, other killer drivers have written too
The article was syndicated to the daily male

I tried to read his website, could not see how to use it and access the comments, can anyone help? Diolch

# all??
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:One wonders why the author was named
Was it his real name?

Why? I saw it largely as a confession, and part of confession is being open.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I've listened to the programme now. It wasn't an "enjoyable" listen, but I'm glad I did.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:
Was it his real name?

He is becoming moderately well-known and could convert this into cash
He did donate his Guardian fee apparently

Contrast with the incident in Hither Green, some people there would love to be anonymous

Now anyone can know that he 'was involved in a fatal accident', possible employers for example, neighbours, anyone he meets through online dating &c &c

Could it even be a class thing, anonymity or not?? :? Open question as always, alternative facts welcome
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
pwa wrote:
Was it his real name?

He is becoming moderately well-known and could convert this into cash
He did donate his Guardian fee apparently

Contrast with the incident in Hither Green, some people there would love to be anonymous

Now anyone can know that he 'was involved in a fatal accident', possible employers for example, neighbours, anyone he meets through online dating &c &c

Could it even be a class thing, anonymity or not?? :? Open question as always, alternative facts welcome

He's a grown up, and has made choices with that in mind.

I'm glad he did, I've found it affecting and thought-provoking, others have taken an alternative view and focused on other aspects of the case.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'd contrast this driver's account with a self-righteous account from a driver convicted of causing death by dangerous driving which was published (Sunday Times mag?) a few years ago.

The driver was IIRC a university lecturer who had been driving at 70mph on a main road. (I can't remember if it was a motorway or not.) His jacket was fitted over the backrest of the front passenger seat to keep it neat. He had taken his eye off the road ahead while he fished something like sweets from his jacket pocket. In the brief time that he wasn't looking ahead, circumstances changed and there was a fatal crash, for which he was sent down. It was quite a long article, mainly making the point that he had "only" looked away briefly and so he shouldn't have been treated as a criminal.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Is it significant that the Grauniad published the article under 'life & style'?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I see your intimation.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I really think he should not have resumed driving

Not being in a situation to harm anyone else could have helped with his psychological problems

One wonders whether he is a normal driver now, or is he especially careful?
Has he taken a course such as those for drivers caught exceeding the maximum speed limit?

OTOH everyone has the right to rehabilitate themselves and from reading his account I have a sense that he will prove to be an exceptionally careful driver.

Killer let off by police in writing contrite open letter to a public forum to garner sympathy/offload guilt/clickbait shocker, he was hardly going to write anything else was he!
You have a "sense" he'll be exceptionally careful, based on what evidence, a contrite piece in a broadsheet? :? :roll:
The reality is he does not nor will not be able to see his own mistakes, the police have basically said he hasn't made a mistake, his family/friends have said same, joe public almost to a man and the so called 'justice' system as well as yourself have absolved him, you've defended the killer throughout this thread, despite the flagrant breach of the HC, one that you won't or don't accept even when spelled out to you by another forum member as to why the killer was in the wrong and completely at fault, writing a contrite letter seemingly is enough for you and many to just move on, I think that's perverse. :evil:

Basically he will not learn because he doesn't know what he did wrong, he like most other motorists will continue to get lucky, continue to have close shaves, continue to have the technology in their motor vehicle get them out of trouble/scenarios that should never have occurred and continue to drive in exactly the same manner that causes circa half a million injuries* on our roads despite all the protection systems/devices in motor vehicles.
As I said before he even wades in right at the end of the article with his way of thinking and his insistence others (i.e. vulnerable road users) wear high visibility garments to give people like him a chance to see them. :twisted:
He has not learned a thing, still thinks the responsibility for safety lies more so with the vulnerable, at no point does he suggest anything he should have done, not once does he mention the 'hazards'/clues that would mean you slow right down and be aware of a vulnerable road user, not once does he say he was at fault in any aspect of what unfolded.
And you have a 'sense' he'll be "an exceptionally careful driver", I couldn't disagree with you more.

*latest government estimates which include non reported injuries
Last edited by The utility cyclist on 14 Apr 2018, 6:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

He gets angry, shouts at pedestrians texting while crossing the road, 'that is so dangerous!', not clear whether he does this when driving %(((

Tuc is right again
I have a sense that the dead man might not have forgiven the driver
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Cugel wrote:
They do say that a spike in the steering wheels of cars would help. Perhaps cyclists should all have a similar thing in place of the steering column top cap? A new item for Kapz to sell us all! :-)

Cugel

Surely cyclists are already vulnerable enough to the consequences to keep us relatively honest? All the studies I have seen show us as better at avoiding cars than drivers are at avoiding us.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?