Safety review CONSULTATION

Vorpal

Re: Safety review CONSULTATION

Post by Vorpal »

Steady rider wrote:This is what I think should have been provided but they have both access roads and houses facing the rural road. In this way you end up with the up and down pavement and side roads to cross.

The up and down pavement thing is just stupid and shouldn't be allowed on a cycle route.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

mjr wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:with supposedly 50% helmet wearing rate

Where's that from? I've only seen the Republic of Ireland manage that level without legal compulsion and then only briefly.

It was a number I saw being bandied around, I don't have an official stat (I'm not botthered to find one) hence why I said supposedly, given the number of sporting/weekend warrior riders are helmet wearers that figure wouldn't surprise me in the least and I'd reckon the miles travelled in the UK is much more than half whilst under a plastic hat. Which in fact makes the figures/helmet wearing fallacy look even worse.
mjr

Post by mjr »

The utility cyclist wrote:It was a number I saw being bandied around, I don't have an official stat (I'm not botthered to find one) hence why I said supposedly, given the number of sporting/weekend warrior riders are helmet wearers that figure wouldn't surprise me in the least and I'd reckon the miles travelled in the UK is much more than half whilst under a plastic hat. Which in fact makes the figures/helmet wearing fallacy look even worse.

OK. The last official stat I saw was in an ETSC PIN Flash a few years ago - 34% - and then I think the UK government stopped measuring it (because we're stubbornly ignoring their bad advice?), so I was interested in any new reliable one.

I suspect the relatively small number of sporting/weekend riders doing extreme distances is dominated by a greater number of commuters and utility riders in the cycle-friendly cities and town riding little and often everyday. However, I don't think it makes the figures look any better for promoters.

And now let's leave this sideshow and get back to stuff that is more likely to actually help! Mandatory design standards? Required classification of all streets as residential, greenway, transit and so on and a network provided of greenways and transit? And what about Idaho or Utah stop laws?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
The utility cyclist

How do we convince government at all levels that helmets and hi-vis are not the solutions at all and is actually just wrong is what needs to be tackled first.
When you have cycle training in schools and elsewhere having compulsory helmet/hi-vis or you're not allowed to take part plus schools unlawfully forcing kids to wear or be banned from riding to school is a massive negative aspect and indoctrination programme. This is the starting point because by removing this we can then move onto the other things because otherwise the focus on those two things are seen as THE most important safety interventions above all else and restrict the thinking for safety interventions that are actually effective.

Do we need to take matters through to legally challenge how government at all levels are doing things, when we know that pollution, safety, health are all improved by cycling and yet they not only drag their heels but actively ignore these solutions which do cost lives and make lives less healthy, less safe and less happier.
I think that unless we tackle this with a bullish approach and literally force things through matters will not change in any significant way. I'd be prepared to put a significant amount to whichever group decides to make a legal challenge to force change because the softly, softly approach has proven not to work and indeed the attacks on cycling by general public is allowed to go on/get worse to the point it is openly hate crimes, as well as slanted reports/changes in law, and the approach by police/legal system are all bias/discriminatory.

We have recommended standards but when has any authority actually ever adhered to them, who sets these standards anyway and why aren't they set as minimum standards? Again forcing change by legal challenge seems to be the only way to force things through because there has been no change at all in reality in 30 years. You only need look at the utter rubbish that is continually knocked up or even new developments that have no infra or again panders to the motorist with no incentive to cycle. This is then topped off by cycling orgs setting a rod by signing off micturate poor infra that not only makes cycling less safe but is wasted money because it comes from an active travel funding but actually just helped motorists get from A-B quicker and hindered people on bikes. #turbogate :twisted:

Just sick of the whole affair to be honest.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Steady rider wrote:https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.9362823,-0.786089,3a,75y,322.99h,106.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEvhfBnrfhXUg1kqUEF3F2Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
The development is along a rural road with a 60 mph limit and some cyclists prefer to ride on a path alongside. It is actually on part of the coast to coast cycle route. I would most likely use the road but others would use a path.

That is a quiet country lane (subject to the national speed limit like just about all quiet country lanes) heading into a residential village street with houses with drives and subject to a 30mph speed limit. Pretty much ideal cycling conditions - the sort of road we would choose to ride just for the shear pleasure of cycling. Presumably, when the development is complete the 30mph limit will be extended.

There is no cycle path beside either the village or the country section just a narrow pavement for pedestrians on which cycling is quite properly illegal.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

The utility cyclist wrote:How do we convince government at all levels that helmets and hi-vis are not the solutions at all and is actually just wrong <snip>

To start, reply to the current consultation, in as much detail as you can muster. Closing date is June 1st.

There are specific sections on educating road users, rules of the road, public awareness and equipment and the terms of reference are actually encouragingly clear that at least someone involved has some Clue:
Cycling, like walking, needs to be universally seen as easy, fun and safe. Safety, and the perception of safety, are vital if we are to create a rapid increase in the use of active travel.

The truth is that cycling is generally very safe, and serious accidents are rare. But we need to make it safer still, for all road users, so that it becomes a default mode of transport, whatever one’s age or background. But safety does not simply include road safety - it also includes physical health and well-being, in a clean and green environment. The evidence is clear: cycling and walking have the capacity to transform the health and well-being, not only of people who walk and cycle themselves, but of everyone in society.

CUK have a good programme going for this, including taking helmets and hi-viz out of the Highway Code. While their template is good I suspect a submission that covers the same (or more) ground in entirely your own wording is more likely not to get put in a pile of "more CUK copy and paste".

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The utility cyclist wrote:How do we convince government at all levels that helmets and hi-vis are not the solutions at all and is actually just wrong is what needs to be tackled first.
When you have cycle training in schools and elsewhere having compulsory helmet/hi-vis or you're not allowed to take part plus schools unlawfully forcing kids to wear or be banned from riding to school is a massive negative aspect and indoctrination programme. This is the starting point because by removing this we can then move onto the other things because otherwise the focus on those two things are seen as THE most important safety interventions above all else and restrict the thinking for safety interventions that are actually effective.

Do we need to take matters through to legally challenge how government at all levels are doing things, when we know that pollution, safety, health are all improved by cycling and yet they not only drag their heels but actively ignore these solutions which do cost lives and make lives less healthy, less safe and less happier.
I think that unless we tackle this with a bullish approach and literally force things through matters will not change in any significant way. I'd be prepared to put a significant amount to whichever group decides to make a legal challenge to force change because the softly, softly approach has proven not to work and indeed the attacks on cycling by general public is allowed to go on/get worse to the point it is openly hate crimes, as well as slanted reports/changes in law, and the approach by police/legal system are all bias/discriminatory.

We have recommended standards but when has any authority actually ever adhered to them, who sets these standards anyway and why aren't they set as minimum standards? Again forcing change by legal challenge seems to be the only way to force things through because there has been no change at all in reality in 30 years. You only need look at the utter rubbish that is continually knocked up or even new developments that have no infra or again panders to the motorist with no incentive to cycle. This is then topped off by cycling orgs setting a rod by signing off micturate poor infra that not only makes cycling less safe but is wasted money because it comes from an active travel funding but actually just helped motorists get from A-B quicker and hindered people on bikes. #turbogate :twisted:

I agree,and particularly your last sentence.
IMO the UK is anti cycling and any concessions to cycling is grudgingly given by government at all levels,cycling is seen as just a nuisance outgroup activity that's sort of tolerated.Which apart from a few enlightened areas of the country is laughed at as legitimate from of transport,and where the the car is king much like a little USA.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

reohn2 wrote:...the UK is anti cycling and any concessions to cycling is grudgingly given by government at all levels,cycling is seen as just a nuisance outgroup activity that's sort of tolerated...

As has been ably demonstrated by the Scottish government who committed themselves in 2010 to ensuring that by 2020 10% of all journeys are cycles, but have yet to actually make any real progress towards that aim. They have built lots of motorways though.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

reohn2 wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:How do we convince government at all levels that helmets and hi-vis are not the solutions at all and is actually just wrong is what needs to be tackled first.

I agree,and particularly your last sentence.
IMO the UK is anti cycling and any concessions to cycling is grudgingly given by government at all levels,cycling is seen as just a nuisance outgroup activity that's sort of tolerated.Which apart from a few enlightened areas of the country is laughed at as legitimate from of transport,and where the the car is king much like a little USA.

I feel as does the utility cyclist, although I don't allow myself to get depressed about it. (Stocism is a necessary skill in a modern society, or any other really, humans being humans).

Perhaps a fundamental question is, why are cyclists and cycling regarded in so many quarters as "just a nuisance outgroup"? Part of the reason is that cycling in Blighty (unlike some other European nations) has become some sort of faux-racer lookitme posturing thing, wherein many cyclists are as aggressive as the motorists they joust with. There has been a creation of "cycling" as .... an outgroup (special, superior, often very snobbish).

Indeed, one gets the impression that the adherents of this notion of cycling are red-faced gesticulating loons when on their bike and likely the same in their cars. Of course, a loon in a car is rather more dangerous than a loon on a bike.

But I digress.

Personally I would like to see cycling in the UK less dominated by the faux-racer, the lookitme MAMIL, the young turk looking for trouble in between Stava-striving (often in a dangerous or inconsiderate manner). I don't say ban 'em but rather, let's have more media (magazine & website) that's like the CTC/CUK rather than those organs that serve as promoters and advertising agents to the sellers of the whole faux-racing cyclist fashion and its many gewgaws.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Wanlock Dod wrote:
reohn2 wrote:...the UK is anti cycling and any concessions to cycling is grudgingly given by government at all levels,cycling is seen as just a nuisance outgroup activity that's sort of tolerated...

As has been ably demonstrated by the Scottish government who committed themselves in 2010 to ensuring that by 2020 10% of all journeys are cycles, but have yet to actually make any real progress towards that aim. They have built lots of motorways though.

Until recently most of the effort seemed to be raking through the thesaurus to look for less focused versions of "target" (Aspirations, Visions etc.) but we've had some more progress in the last few months with a doubling of the Active Travel budget, so we'll see how that ends up.

Pete.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Cugel wrote:Personally I would like to see cycling in the UK less dominated by the faux-racer, the lookitme MAMIL, the young turk looking for trouble in between Stava-striving (often in a dangerous or inconsiderate manner). I don't say ban 'em but rather, let's have more media (magazine & website) that's like the CTC/CUK rather than those organs that serve as promoters and advertising agents to the sellers of the whole faux-racing cyclist fashion and its many gewgaws

While the rise of the sporty cyclist continues, at least it is now possible to buy Sensible Bikes quite easily, and that is a Good Thing that is quite different to the recent past.

I'm also hoping that the rise of the e-bike will aid the uptake of cycling by Normal People who just want to get from A to B (where B is only a few miles or less away from A) without feeling the need to dress up specially. As in NL, this doesn't actually prevent one from donning lycra for a hack with the local chain gang in one's spare time.

Pete.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

About 5 years ago I rode about 500 miles in Germany, most of the main roads had cycle paths and on other roads drivers took more care when overtaking. Their cycling fatality rate is 15 per billion km, UK is 28.

The general fatality rate per million inhabitants is 28 for the UK and 39 for Germany, https://www.rhinocarhire.com/Car-Hire-B ... urope.aspx

The conclusion from the above would be to provide cycle paths on 'A' roads and any busy roads plus have a clear incentive for drivers to overtake with more care.

A response to government probably needs a list of points and each with a supporting research paper and detailed recommendations.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Wanlock Dod wrote:

So one may drive the family with six bikes hundreds of km in a huge bus to the holiday home (one journey), then everyone cycles to the pub and the beach each day (6 people, 2 journeys each a day for a week), 84 journeys by bike
Drive home = 1 journey
84>2, right?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
The utility cyclist

Steady rider wrote:About 5 years ago I rode about 500 miles in Germany, most of the main roads had cycle paths and on other roads drivers took more care when overtaking. Their cycling fatality rate is 15 per billion km, UK is 28.

The general fatality rate per million inhabitants is 28 for the UK and 39 for Germany, https://www.rhinocarhire.com/Car-Hire-B ... urope.aspx

The conclusion from the above would be to provide cycle paths on 'A' roads and any busy roads plus have a clear incentive for drivers to overtake with more care.

A response to government probably needs a list of points and each with a supporting research paper and detailed recommendations.

Road KSI rates are higher in Germany, as it is in Netherlands compared to the UK, you can't start comparing per billion miles then switch to per population head, that's totally wrong/misrepresentative.

As I've said before, one of the flip sides to having a lot of segregated infra in towns is that on faster moving roads when there is no infra motorists are less capable of dealing with people on bikes on the road simply because the interaction and how they are meant to behave is so re;atively infrequent.
Yes the attitude is improved but overall I didn't find that drivers slowed much or did the moving over onto the opposite lane thing any more than recent times in the UK where I genuinely do believe things have improved somewhat and in some scenarios, it's in built up areas where the majority of the problem lies IME and has gone further downhill.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I feel as does the utility cyclist, although I don't allow myself to get depressed about it. (Stocism is a necessary skill in a modern society, or any other really, humans being humans).

Perhaps a fundamental question is, why are cyclists and cycling regarded in so many quarters as "just a nuisance outgroup"? Part of the reason is that cycling in Blighty (unlike some other European nations) has become some sort of faux-racer lookitme posturing thing, wherein many cyclists are as aggressive as the motorists they joust with. There has been a creation of "cycling" as .... an outgroup (special, superior, often very snobbish).

Indeed, one gets the impression that the adherents of this notion of cycling are red-faced gesticulating loons when on their bike and likely the same in their cars. Of course, a loon in a car is rather more dangerous than a loon on a bike.

But I digress.

Personally I would like to see cycling in the UK less dominated by the faux-racer, the lookitme MAMIL, the young turk looking for trouble in between Stava-striving (often in a dangerous or inconsiderate manner). I don't say ban 'em but rather, let's have more media (magazine & website) that's like the CTC/CUK rather than those organs that serve as promoters and advertising agents to the sellers of the whole faux-racing cyclist fashion and its many gewgaws.

Cugel[/quote]

Why is it that some cyclists have to view other cyclists using different equipment or clothing in a negative light ?
I suppose I fit the bill as being a "faux racer" but at 77 I'm just using the clothing and bike that I like.
I often cycle randonees in France and Belgium and meet with similarly equipped and attired cyclists. They don't seem to be considered an "out group" any more than utility cyclists.
I don't find the people I cycle with (of a wide age group ) particularly aggressive.
I'm too small and old to be a "red faced aggressive loon" - I certainly have reservations about Strava encouraging recklessness and also the management of some Sportives. I prefer Audax.
I'm afraid the sort of media coverage you are looking for won't make commercial sense.
In the past "Cycling" magazine had many readable articles on cycle touring but it wasn't of interest to many racing cyclists.
That is a pity but that is how the cycling world has gone - OTOH there is a greater range of off road cycling activity and also an interest in ultra long touring.
So I don't put the present situation down to any particular group of cyclists but because successive governments have been led by the nose by the road transport lobby and that the infrastructure has been based on the free flow of traffic with others - pedestrians cyclists having to work around this requirement.