Guardian: Nederland, more dead cyclists than motorists, e-bikes

pjclinch

Re: Guardian: Nederland, more dead cyclists than motorists, e-bikes

Post by pjclinch »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
I used the phrase 'weasel words' because I am sick of reading such phrases

Ah. I generally take "weasel words" as ways of trying to justify not doing what was promised, rather than simply something I've heard too much, hence my query.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

It is obvious that that a move towards e-bikes is going to result in a greater number of fatalities than ordinary bikes due to the greater speed. This makes collisions both more serious and more likely. There will almost certainly be a jump in fatalities of pedestrians hit by e-bikes.

As others have pointed out e-bikes are mopeds - indeed they are designed pretty much like the original mopeds with a small motor bolted on to an ordinary looking bike (before the Japanese manucturers turned them into small motorbikes).
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

They are not mopeds for the simple reason that on mopeds the pedals are just there for decoration - to satisfy a legal definition. On a moped it is not possible to add any meaningful amount of human energy whereas on an ebike it absolutely is - in fact this is whole ethos of the idea - a hybrid machine. Did anyone own a Puch Maxi or a Tomos moped back in the day? Trying to pedal a mile on one of these would probably result in the rider needing medical attention!

A very small proportion of ebikes might be designed like this but the majority are able to function well enough on human power alone yet would do poorly on just electrical power alone - pretty much the opposite of what you would expect from a moped - no?

If.....
It is obvious that that a move towards e-bikes is going to result in a greater number of fatalities
.....how would you explain the fact that bicycles assisted by small (grossly polluting) 2 stroke IC engines were popular in Nederland for a very long time before ebikes became popular?
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Old/frail people can use trikes and go as slow as they like

I'm old but not yet frail and after riding trikes for 55 years,including a 24 hour time trial in the year of my 60th birthday, I reached the point where a trike was too much hard work to be enjoyable. 5 years after selling the last one I am still riding up to 60 miles on a road bike.

I am however carefully watching the various e-bike riders on our clubrun in anticipation of the day that I join them. Perhaps an electric trike - something that one of our members is researching. :D
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Protect us from the demon that is the ebike! I do love the constant whinging that 'it's cheating!, it's a moped, it's a motor bike! it goes too fast' ( half the speed of the average serious roadie?)
So what??? It's a very sensible means of transport, for potentially, a large number of people - get over it
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Protect us from the demon that is the ebike! I do love the constant whinging that 'it's cheating!, it's a moped, it's a motor bike! it goes too fast' ( half the speed of the average serious roadie?)
So what??? It's a very sensible means of transport, for potentially, a large number of people - get over it

But, but... they're even more ridiculous than those new fangled "safety bikes" with a totally unnecessary drive chain!

This is one of those things, a bit like GPS and "proper traditional navigation with map and compass" where the amount of hoopla raised ignores the fact that a lot of people are just getting on with it and before you know it's quite normal and not only are there more people getting along but the old system is still there, working fine and feeding directly in to use of the new.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The Guardian reports that 206 cyclists died in 'accidents' last year in NL, and 201 PiCs
Old males on e-bikes are especially problematic
Prejudice alarm? :wink:
One imagines many of them find themselves going too fast, or they are unable to mount and dismount, maybe some really should stay at home. Or upgrade to a trike with low gears and NO MOTOR

I've just returned from 8 weeks touring France, Belgium, Germany & Netherlands and you meet cyclists touring from other countries in campsites and on two occasions dutch cyclists have raised the issue of older cyclists on e-bikes and the dangers/accident rates they are experiencing/causing.

And then when I got to the Netherlands I was somewhat horrified. e-bikes are unbelievably common. I was nearly "taken out" by one retiree (age group) on their e-bike hammering along with no concept of other cycle path users and no "road sense". I saw several other incidents along similar lines.

I was shocked about how common e-bikes are. Apart from older cyclists I was shocked by the number of younger fit healthy looking cyclists with battery packs up under their rear rack. Of course you cannot tell any health issues somebody might have (and thus the need for the battery assistance) but they are so ubiquitous.

Often I'd be cycling along at a sensible speed and I'd be passed by somebody appearing e.g. 50 cycling with unbelievably low cadence and I'd immediately think "how" then I'd see the battery pack.

Ian
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Last year in the Netherlands I noticed that cyclists on cycle paths were not all considerate to other users. Not all of those were elderly or ebike riders.

How much of this issue is down to the riders rather than the ebike? The ebike afterall is just a piece of equipment without free will or the ability to control itself. Is this just another version of a "b00dy cyclists" thread?

Also, if it's a matter of the elderly riders not being safe to ride these bikes then what's the alternatives? Put them in cars?
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

'Shocked', 'horrified', 'unbelievably' !!!! For crying out loud, what on earth is the problem? People riding bikes, maybe some having accidents, so, what's new?? I just don't get what your problem is :-(
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Tangled Metal wrote:Last year in the Netherlands I noticed that cyclists on cycle paths were not all considerate to other users. Not all of those were elderly or ebike riders.

Me too. My overall impression of the Netherlands is it isn't quite the cycling nirvana it's made out to be - albeit my experience is predominantly limited to a couple of cities.
(I also didn't see that many e-bikes, they were around sure, but as a proportion I see more scooting around Liverpool)

eBikes are here, I use one and it's great.
My mileage is up from 1-2000 or so a year to 10,000. Since the chance of dying is measured per mile there's a much greater chance I'll be killed riding an eBike than my normal bike - and it won't be long before I'm over 60!
Guess I'll just be another bleedin' pensioner riding an eBike they can't control... :lol:
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

We're both over 60, and 'tear around' on our ebikes! Thoroughly enjoy it, just got back now, for a cuppa :-)
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

landsurfer wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:E-bikes are not bikes IMHO
Old/frail people can use trikes and go as slow as they like
Anything that reduces speed is welcome

They are electric mopeds ... Nice mopeds .. But mopeds.
My wife has one and loves it ... Reminds her if her Henry Honda of the 70's...

Been through this so many times, is it really necessary to explain the differences yet again?

E-bikes are restricted to 15 mph, Mopeds 28 mph
E-bikes have pedals, mopeds don't
E-bikes require to be powered by the pedals which are assisted by the motor, mopeds do not

It is very, very simple.

Perhaps we should start calling them fridges or freezers as they also have motors.... it makes about as much sense!

As for trikes, anyone who has ridden one will know it is not as easy as some would think. issues with cambers and steering do not make them an easy transition for someone swap has been riding a normal bike
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

With regards to "Speed Pedelecs"

There was, and remains a very similar definition of E-Bikes in teh Netherlands to the UK

Then there were the faster "Speed Pedelecs" as mentioned above.

New laws in January 2017 changed the rules slightly as they were still classed as "light mopeds" and are noted classified as mopeds, and before anyone claims otherwise there is a significant difference between the Speed Pedelec and an E-bike, the former requires:

New Dutch rules for speed pedelecs from 1 January 2017
Yellow registration plate
Moped license - for this you need to be 16 years or older
Insurance compulsory
Max. 45 km/h
Not permitted on dedicated cycle paths
Helmet compulsory - certified speed pedelec helmet or moped helmet

The big difference is that they are no longer allowed on the cycle path infrastructure.

However there is still the conflation where the articles include both
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Maybe some people just don't agree with you Cunobelin .... its as simple as that .... but you have every right to your views and others to theirs.
So maybe like the eternal helmet posts, EBikes should have their own dead end within the board index ?
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

kwackers wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Last year in the Netherlands I noticed that cyclists on cycle paths were not all considerate to other users. Not all of those were elderly or ebike riders.

Me too. My overall impression of the Netherlands is it isn't quite the cycling nirvana it's made out to be - albeit my experience is predominantly limited to a couple of cities.
(I also didn't see that many e-bikes, they were around sure, but as a proportion I see more scooting around Liverpool)

eBikes are here, I use one and it's great.
My mileage is up from 1-2000 or so a year to 10,000. Since the chance of dying is measured per mile there's a much greater chance I'll be killed riding an eBike than my normal bike - and it won't be long before I'm over 60!
Guess I'll just be another bleedin' pensioner riding an eBike they can't control... :lol:

I've been saying this over and over, I even went to the trouble of trying to do it by the numbers a while back comparing distance travelled by those who actually cycle (not by per million population because it turns out UK is 'safer' than NL for cycling by that measure which is why the EU road safety commission use it as a tool to push for wider cycle helmet use :twisted: ) and taking into account that NL has massively more segregated, indeed effective segregated cycle lanes so that the people actually use it such that cyclists on roads with motorised traffic is limited comparative to the UK. Then you add in the 'safety in numbers' mantra espoused by CUK and many others which frankly whilst in theory should and to an extent it does work, it levels off when you actually remove those from the highway, from that which poses the greatest threat, such that you then get an increase in deaths when you have many people travelling closely together at differing speeds, and another reason why many segregated lanes are not sufficient for mass cycling. just look at how the Danes do away with segregation in Copenhagen and cyclists just use the existing infra, that being the road so they can cycle 5/6 abreast in one direction (see photo below)

Now whilst segregation has its benefits, what it fails to address is that motorists are not used to having cyclists on the roads as much as they are in the UK, not all places in NL have segregated lanes and of course you have the sporting cyclists. You also have many crossings of roads in front of motors that you simply would not have if you were simply on the road, this is a major problem for NL as there are circa 60 deaths annually where cycling infra crosses a road.
Then as I said on page one, you have those of the older generation who used to cycle by ordinary bike now using an electric bike and able to go much faster than their natural capabilities, this in turn means shortened time to react, longer braking times and that increase in risk taking which comes with speed especially that which you do not have to achieve using your own power, basically it replicates moped/motorbike users in the 'freedom' it gives. Yes it's a lower speed but it's all relative to what they were capable of beforehand under their own steam.

Now that the younger generation are buying into e-bike use this then becomes even more of an issue. The only thing that is stopping many of the younger age groups from using e-bikes as transport is money. A significant proportion of NL cyclists have become complacent and even blase about safety of themselves and amongst others, this comes in part from being segregated.

Whilst it's far better to have people on bikes than in large motor vehicles and I have no qualms about people using e-bikes to get them to their destination for whatever reason that is, too many are simply being human beings, that being selfish/I'm alright jack and think less about safety when you're hidden away from that which you perceive will harm you (motorists), it also increases when speed increases from an external power source due to the psychological effect this has.
Ignoring the problem of the decreased safety of e-bike users (and those around them) either through greater maximum speed or a combination of change in psyche of using them compared to a self propelled bike particularly when the greater number of sales are to age groups who for the most part may not have cycled much in recent times or for the most part cycled but at a much reduced speed, is both dumb and irresponsible.

it not only starts to paint cycling in a different way to how it was and thus is seen in a more negative light, you also have some who are not satisfied with the 16mph top speed and want more. Speed models are essentially motorbikes/mopeds without the weight and that yet again changes the psyche of the user, they're now capable of 30mph and due to wearing a helmet induces greater risk taking and yet somehow it's a 'bike' because it has pedals, yet presents similar characteristics in use and rider attitude around built up areas which as we know has a much heightened chance of becoming an organ donor or hurting others.

There has to be much, much more looked into e-bikes than simply saying anyone can get on it and go at x speed but also more needs to be looked at in terms of cycling infrastructure and how this effects the psyche both short term and long term of the user. This is in part why I'm not a believer that segregated infra is the panacea it's made out to be as IMHO It's flawed in many ways.
Personally I think reducing the top powered speed to 12mph in exchange for a greater range is something that really should be done asap, why does it need to be any higher as an assist mode?
Attachments
Copenhagen.JPG