8 convictions of driving whilst disqualified...

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: 8 convictions of driving whilst disqualified...

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote: ....................... I've posted before that consideration should be given to outsourcing the detection of uninsured drivers to the insurance trade.
That could work.
They make enough dosh as it is perhaps?

Off topic a bit ...............
My late father was a freelance car insurance broker later in his career, and he would tell me (and you if you knew him) that the cost of car insurance was high due to the car occupants' injuries claims, and not the car repairs ........... or even consequential fatalities.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The compensation for personal injuries can be amount to a lot of money: replacing even the most expensive cars is peanuts compared with eg paying for loss of earnings for the rest of a lifetime. Our legal system is expensive and adds to the costs of both sides. Others have suggested on here that the system in places like France manages to combine the criminal and civil aspects to achieve simplicity at less cost. Not a chance of that happening here.

Having said that, the insurance trade seems to have plenty of lobbying influence eg the way that the lines have been blurred between genuine claims and fraud so eg the former Chancellor George Osborne changed the rules over smaller claims to the benefit of the insurance trade. They didn't much like no win, no fee and that was altered too.

Ideally, if fewer people were injured compo would be reduced in the best way possible.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
fastpedaller wrote:I've concluded for a number of years that banning a driver is intended to be a deterrent - Can the law not be passed such that if the driver breaks those conditions (ie drives during the ban period) that they are imprisoned for the same amount of time of the ban? It would surely be a good deterrent - or at least certainly better than going through the motions several times imposing bans which the offender doesn't adhere to. If they can't be trusted to adhere to the ban they are a danger to all other road users and have to be taken off the road by whatever means.

We already imprison more people than more enlightened countries, and few people leave prison a better person than they went in. It is also expensive.
Perhaps any car found being driven by a disqualified driver should be crushed. Or, if the driver does not have the permission of the owner, they should be charged with theft.

This is one of those occasions where the person presents a clear a serious danger to society. The imprisonment isn't for their punishment, but for the safety of others.

I think the imprisonment is punishment as well as prevention but he will be out in a few months, will the cops be able to keep an eye on him then, or could his neighbours help? I would help if I lived nearby
Generally imprisonment is bad, most prisoners need help, punishment could be community work and close supervision, curfew

How did he get to eight times? Should not something have been done sooner?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Imprisonment doesn't have to mean doing nothing useful...

Could even earn enough to pay or their own board...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Imprisonment doesn't have to mean doing nothing useful...

Could even earn enough to pay or their own board...

Unfortunately in this backward country that possibility isn't realised,nor is much in the way of rehabilitation.
Criminals go into prison,drug addicted angry criminals come out :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Ray

Post by Ray »

I wonder, a little whimsically, whether there might eventually be a tech solution - say, a subcutaneous implant which de-activates car engines?

You could imagine a person with such an implant might also find it difficult to get anyone to give him/her a lift :D
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ray wrote:I wonder, a little whimsically, whether there might eventually be a tech solution - say, a subcutaneous implant which de-activates car engines?

You could imagine a person with such an implant might also find it difficult to get anyone to give him/her a lift :D

No no no!
Then he would have to cycle :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ray wrote:I wonder, a little whimsically, whether there might eventually be a tech solution - say, a subcutaneous implant which de-activates car engines?

Digital licences with electronic ignition systems - so the car verifies that you are a) entitled to drive and b) insured (this can be skipped if connectivity is lost)

It's not that far fetched a possibility...
But the gubbinment know nothing about cryptography, so they can't see it..
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Tangentially but vaguely connected, why doesn't the UK adopt the insurance receipt displayed inside the windscreen procedure I see in other countries?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:Tangentially but vaguely connected, why doesn't the UK adopt the insurance receipt displayed inside the windscreen procedure I see in other countries?

Along with roadworthiness display and the stoopit VED :? scrapped and the revenue collected through fuel tax increase.

In the case of driving without a licence,the offence should be so costly,both financially and loss of liberty as to be a deterrent to all but the most determined criminal.
Of course you have to catch the bu@@ers,which needs there to be an effective police force in action,sadly.......
Last edited by reohn2 on 1 May 2018, 11:05am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

All gone :D
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 1 May 2018, 11:19am, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I suspect that paying fines, like complying with driving bans, is a bourgeois activity.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:Sir means without a licence, shirley? :wink:

Edited,thanks for hilighting my error.
Though thinking about it some of the bu@@ers with licences could do with fifty lashes with birch branch :)
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:I suspect that paying fines, like complying with driving bans, is a bourgeois activity.

Yet another problem with UK society,criminals not being held responsible for their actions,paying fines being just on example :? :evil:
Last edited by reohn2 on 3 May 2018, 9:18am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Bonefishblues wrote:Tangentially but vaguely connected, why doesn't the UK adopt the insurance receipt displayed inside the windscreen procedure I see in other countries?

I'd like to see VED paid as part of the MOT, and possibly related to the results you actually get (so a poorly maintained vehicle costs more than it's type would indicate).

I'd also like to see a national third party insurance scheme paid at the same time... Then you get an official 'disc' that you can display in your windscreen, this could be easily checked by any traffic warden/citizen/officer of the law (who could also use ANPR).

It means that:
- You have a reminder on the vehicle (yes, I just missed redoing my MOT - I was in hospital at the time)
- Everyone carries third party insurance (Fire, theft and comp can all be purchased separately if desired)
- It brings together the main 'legal requirements' for a vehicle to be on the road.

The first and last points are rather useful for consumers - you don't end up with eleven months of insurance, ten of VED and a failed MOT and you can't forget just one of them.
The middle point ensures that there are far fewer uninsured drivers around.