8 convictions of driving whilst disqualified...

[XAP]Bob

8 convictions of driving whilst disqualified...

Post by [XAP]Bob »

https://www.rugbyadvertiser.co.uk/news/ ... -1-8480247

Simon Milburn appeared at Warwick Crown Court after pleading guilty to dangerous driving, driving while disqualified and having no insurance. Milburn (30) of Steele Street, New Bilton, Rugby, was jailed for ten months and banned from driving for four years and four months.

Custodial sentence for some pretty shocking driving, and a reasonably significant ban...

As the officers got out of their car Milburn, who had four passengers, was still revving excessively before trying to climb into the back – but getting wedged between the seats.

Clearly an attempt to avoid detection.

Milburn, who had 23 convictions which included four offences of driving with excess alcohol and seven of driving while disqualified, ‘showed some remorse’ when he was interviewed, added Mr Brocklehurst. Despite submissions by Sharon Bahia, defending, that he could be given a suspended sentence, Judge Andrew Lockhart QC told Milburn it was such a dangerous piece of driving that, especially given his record, it had to be an immediate sentence.

I'm sorry.. what?!!!
He has been *caught* and *convicted* of drink driving four times, and *caught* and *convicted* of driving whilst disqualified 7 (8 now) times...
Given his clear contempt of the court order banning him from driving he should be behind bars for the duration of the sentence (which suddenly looks lenient).
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
fastpedaller

Re: 8 convictions of driving whilst disqualified...

Post by fastpedaller »

I've concluded for a number of years that banning a driver is intended to be a deterrent - Can the law not be passed such that if the driver breaks those conditions (ie drives during the ban period) that they are imprisoned for the same amount of time of the ban? It would surely be a good deterrent - or at least certainly better than going through the motions several times imposing bans which the offender doesn't adhere to. If they can't be trusted to adhere to the ban they are a danger to all other road users and have to be taken off the road by whatever means.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One imagines many drive while disqualified and are not caught
Need to build more prisons :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It's possible that a regular driver who never passed a test and therefore isn't licensed to drive, but taxed and insured could be driving somewhere near you at this very moment.
Funny how DVLA and insurance companies will issue tax and insurance without knowing that the driver has a driving licence.

Yes, I know the insurance wouldn't strictly be valid, but who would know in the normal routine of things?
This person would have to be stopped by the (non-existant) police to have any checks done.

I've never had to show my driving licence to the insurance companies or DVLA for VED purposes.
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mick F wrote:Funny how DVLA and insurance companies will issue tax and insurance without knowing that the driver has a driving licence.

I've never had to show my driving licence to the insurance companies or DVLA for VED purposes.

That’s because you don’t have to be a licensed driver to own a car.
I.e. A person or business might own a vehicle,for their convenience, but for others to drive.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

fastpedaller wrote:I've concluded for a number of years that banning a driver is intended to be a deterrent - Can the law not be passed such that if the driver breaks those conditions (ie drives during the ban period) that they are imprisoned for the same amount of time of the ban? It would surely be a good deterrent - or at least certainly better than going through the motions several times imposing bans which the offender doesn't adhere to. If they can't be trusted to adhere to the ban they are a danger to all other road users and have to be taken off the road by whatever means.

Yep seems like a good idea to me.

The scroat in he OP could do with hard labour added to his short sentence,It may concentrate his mindless pea brain on whether next time it could be 2 years hard labour.
I have no sympathy with such idiotic morons.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
whoof

Post by whoof »

Top Trumps idiot drivers.
18 convictions driving whilst uninsured
12 convictions of driving whilst disqualified
Plus amongst 69 convictions, dangerous driving, theft and fraud.

Convicted again of dangerous driving and got a suspended sentence and a driving ban. I'm sure he will adhere to that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-39303893
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Paulatic wrote:
Mick F wrote:Funny how DVLA and insurance companies will issue tax and insurance without knowing that the driver has a driving licence.

That’s because you don’t have to be a licensed driver to own a car.
I.e. A person or business might own a vehicle,for their convenience, but for others to drive.
Yep.
Insurance?
You have to state that you have a valid licence, but they don't ask to see it. The onus is on you.

That's my point.
There's no checks and balances.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

fastpedaller wrote:I've concluded for a number of years that banning a driver is intended to be a deterrent - Can the law not be passed such that if the driver breaks those conditions (ie drives during the ban period) that they are imprisoned for the same amount of time of the ban? It would surely be a good deterrent - or at least certainly better than going through the motions several times imposing bans which the offender doesn't adhere to. If they can't be trusted to adhere to the ban they are a danger to all other road users and have to be taken off the road by whatever means.

We already imprison more people than more enlightened countries, and few people leave prison a better person than they went in. It is also expensive.
Perhaps any car found being driven by a disqualified driver should be crushed. Or, if the driver does not have the permission of the owner, they should be charged with theft.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mike Sales wrote:

We already imprison more people than more enlightened countries, and few people leave prison a better person than they went in. It is also expensive.
Perhaps any car found being driven by a disqualified driver should be crushed. Or, if the driver does not have the permission of the owner, they should be charged with theft.

Whilst I agree prison isn't the answer for a lot of criminals and that UK prisons leave a lot to be desired,there are some people who need to be removed from society for society's good,this scroat is one of them IMO
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Mick F wrote:Insurance?
You have to state that you have a valid licence, but they don't ask to see it. The onus is on you.

Presumably from an insurers point of view, unlicensed driver customers are pure profit. They pay their premiums, but if they try to claim then there is a check, and when it turns out they have no licence the policy is void and the insurer pays nothing, but does not have to refund the premiums.

Perhaps insurers should be fined for issuing insurance documents to people who cannot produce licences and are not recorded in the DVLA database, to give them an incentive to check?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mike Sales wrote:

This is one of those occasions where the person presents a clear a serious danger to society. The imprisonment isn't for their punishment, but for the safety of others.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

We used to have preventive detention. It was intended to keep persistent offenders off the street.
I can't see a better alternative for drivers who repeatedly commit the same offence.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

jgurney wrote:Perhaps insurers should be fined for issuing insurance documents to people who cannot produce licences and are not recorded in the DVLA database, to give them an incentive to check?
Yes.
Joined-up organisation.
Simple in this data day and age.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Prosecutor Kelly Brocklehurst said that at just before one in the morning on Saturday, January 20, police officers in Bedworth carried out a check on a red Mini Cooper, which revealed it had no insurance. The officers, who were in uniform but in an unmarked car, turned round to follow the Mini, and pulled up behind it at traffic lights in Newtown Road.As the Mini pulled away and turned into George Street Ringway, the officers put on their blue lights to get it to stop.

May I say that I'm just as surprised as the defendant, Simon Milburn, but in my case it's pleasant surprise.

Apart from that, there's a bit of the law of unintended consequences. Concerns about the police chasing suspects have led to some driving in an increasingly dangerous way, knowing that this may cause the pursuit to be abandoned. Even when caught and presumably unable for some reason to scarper on foot, he attempted to thwart identification by trying to get into the back of the car.

I'm a tip-of-the-iceberg man and that applies at two levels here. I think most repeat offenders are only detected rarely in proportion to the frequency of their offending and for every offender who comes to attention like this, many more go unnoticed.

As I keep posting, the cost of uninsured driving is known in £-s-d. (Pounds, shillings and pence to younger readers. :wink: ) It's the cost of the MIB, set up to compensate the victims, financed by a levy on the premiums of the suckers who pay for insurance. I've posted before that consideration should be given to outsourcing the detection of uninsured drivers to the insurance trade.