Diabetes NHS cost £10Billion, why no backing for cycling

mjr

Re: Diabetes NHS cost £10Billion, why no backing for cycling

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:First there was fat shaming now there's diabetes shaming or blaming the diabetes sufferers for their own condition. A friends daughter has the condition and has injecting herself with insulin since she was just four years old. It's a condition that deserves sympathy not condemnation.

Is that type 1? The Diabetes UK stats I linked are one click away from a page saying that's only 10% of sufferers.

More generally, as there's no quote, I'm not sure what posts you're calling "shaming" (but I can guess) but please rest assured that my desire to get more backing for active lifestyles is motivated in part by sympathy for sufferers of other chronic conditions. Would you rather we did nothing and let diabetics continue to be hospitalised disproportionately? I think that would be unsympathetic.

If anything, I felt this topic was more about blaming public bodies for their inaction and lack of sympathy for diabetics and others, instead of supporting for things like cycling that could help them - and many others, too.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cugel wrote:
Imagine if there was no shame concerning all individual behaviours and conditions. One example close to home is that motoring Toads would go about running over all in their way with no feeling of guilt or shame. Moreover, the law, having also adopted the no-shame-allowed attitude would also reduce or perhaps eradicate the notion of guilt. Ah ha! This mode has already been imported from the USA and gained a foothold, especially amongst motorists but, increasingly, in other cultural domains such as the pillage of pension funds and the selling of addictive gambling!

While guilt can have benefits (it doesn't always), shame almost always has the opposite effect than intended. People who are fat-shamed tend to gain weight rather than lose it.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/fa ... e#section3
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... hem-fatter

The NHS is not very good with mental health matters, but IMO, that's where helping people improve their lifestyles needs to start.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cugel wrote:
pete75 wrote:First there was fat shaming now there's diabetes shaming or blaming the diabetes sufferers for their own condition. A friends daughter has the condition and has injecting herself with insulin since she was just four years old. It's a condition that deserves sympathy not condemnation.

I suppose we could try and do away with shame altogether, on the grounds that those who can't help a condition will then never be unjustly shamed by it. However .....

Shame is a very important evolved human emotion that serves an essential function in a species that is probably the most social on the planet. .

Cugel

So what you're saying is that little girl should have felt ashamed of her condition. Nice. :roll:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:So what you're saying is that little girl should have felt ashamed of her condition. Nice. :roll:

I think that's extrapolating the wrong conclusion from someone not trimming a quote!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Regarding NHS backing for cycling - I'm always amused when I have to visit our local doctor's surgery, which is in the same site as the community hospital, by this statistic; number of car parking spaces- 50, number of bike parking spaces - 2. Luckily there are some handy railings on the pavement were I can usually park my bike.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:So what you're saying is that little girl should have felt ashamed of her condition. Nice. :roll:

I think that's extrapolating the wrong conclusion from someone not trimming a quote!

Yes yes! He should be ashamed of hisself, the naughty quote trimmer!! :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

direct from Diabetes.co.uk (edited for accuracy as images from their webpage), the £15B is the latest figures they have (from 2012). Yes the beds report was from 3.5 years ago but it's not going to be much different, the reality is that a massive number of people with diabetes, the majority with type 2 (90%) are occupying beds, leading unhealthy, less productive lives and costing the country a massive amount of money, cycling can help woth that and yet government and the very people whose job it is to help the nations health are doing pretty much nothing. :twisted:
diabetes.JPG

costs Diabetes.JPG

diabetes beds.JPG
Last edited by The utility cyclist on 5 May 2018, 6:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

pete75 wrote:
Cugel wrote:

I suppose we could try and do away with shame altogether, on the grounds that those who can't help a condition will then never be unjustly shamed by it. However .....

Shame is a very important evolved human emotion that serves an essential function in a species that is probably the most social on the planet. .

Cugel

So what you're saying is that little girl should have felt ashamed of her condition. Nice. :roll:
I think you are confusing type I diabetes with type II. The little girl had type I, which unlike type II, is not lifestyle related. The programme was concerned with type II, that seems to have a link with lifestyle eg being overweight and not taking enough exercise etc..
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I used to pay to go to a gym (regularly as it happens for two hours each time, including sauna / steam room / short swim time). It was a good gym that worked with members doctors to improve health and fitness.

There were at least 3 ladies who were obese (morbidly by definition I suspect). They had their membership paid for by the nhs on medical / health grounds. It was a waste of money. They spent their time on the rehabilitation tables reading magazines while the tables vibrated different parts of their body. You may picture this, obese women sat on the edge of a bench on two pads that vibrated in different directions such that you could see vibrations going up and down her obese back.

They all did that for the same time on the same days off the week. Needless to say they had the inclination to get healthy but too lazy to do any actual work. So they lost no weight over the 3 or 4 years I noticed they did this.

Then suddenly they changed their approach. They started to lose weight and indeed in 3 months had noticeably changed their body shape through exercise. What do they do? They got real and put effort in. First walking on the treadmill. Then walking on an incline. Then riding a static recumbent, then running. I was very impressed. However they had to go through 3 or 4 years of wasting nhs money by sitting on a vibrating pad.

I only mentioned this because nhs has funded active lifestyle initiatives on a case by case basis in the past. The issue is actually doing it so there's a positive result. Without it being set up well you might end up with wasting money as in the three cases I mentioned.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Tangled Metal wrote:I used to pay to go to a gym (regularly as it happens for two hours each time, including sauna / steam room / short swim time). It was a good gym that worked with members doctors to improve health and fitness.
I only mentioned this because nhs has funded active lifestyle initiatives on a case by case basis in the past. The issue is actually doing it so there's a positive result. Without it being set up well you might end up with wasting money as in the three cases I mentioned.

My local council run leisure centres (gym) used to have a scheme where local GPs could refer somebody who they felt would benefit from gym activity (unsure what criteria were used, what monitoring, etc.). All I knew about it was that it gave the individual a fixed number of "sessions" for free (I seem to have 14 in my mind but uncertain about that). Just done a search and it looks like the scheme is no longer in operation and I don't know who paid for it when it was running (I noticed it a few years ago).

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

The utility cyclist wrote:direct from Diabetes UK,

No. Diabetes UK, the charity, is at http://www.diabetes.ORG.uk

You're quoting from diabetes.co.uk which is a commercial site run by Diabetes Digital Media Ltd.

Might be right, but let's not blame Diabetes UK if it's not.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

mjr wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:direct from Diabetes UK,

No. Diabetes UK, the charity, is at http://www.diabetes.ORG.uk

You're quoting from diabetes.co.uk which is a commercial site run by Diabetes Digital Media Ltd.

Might be right, but let's not blame Diabetes UK if it's not.

Oh come on, the info is farmed around to all the major players.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_us/ne ... on-by-2035
That says the spending was already £10B in 2012
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_us/ne ... h-diabetes As of 2015 16.8% of hospital beds or just above 1 in 6 and this is increasing NOT decreasing.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Tangled Metal wrote:I used to pay to go to a gym (regularly as it happens for two hours each time, including sauna / steam room / short swim time). It was a good gym that worked with members doctors to improve health and fitness.

There were at least 3 ladies who were obese (morbidly by definition I suspect). They had their membership paid for by the nhs on medical / health grounds. It was a waste of money. They spent their time on the rehabilitation tables reading magazines while the tables vibrated different parts of their body. You may picture this, obese women sat on the edge of a bench on two pads that vibrated in different directions such that you could see vibrations going up and down her obese back.

They all did that for the same time on the same days off the week. Needless to say they had the inclination to get healthy but too lazy to do any actual work. So they lost no weight over the 3 or 4 years I noticed they did this.

Then suddenly they changed their approach. They started to lose weight and indeed in 3 months had noticeably changed their body shape through exercise. What do they do? They got real and put effort in. First walking on the treadmill. Then walking on an incline. Then riding a static recumbent, then running. I was very impressed. However they had to go through 3 or 4 years of wasting nhs money by sitting on a vibrating pad.

Here lies the problem - modern folk have been tutored by our culture to believe in the easy fix; and also the "right to do what I like and not do what I don't like". They feel no duty to make the effort to better themselves because they don't accept either the notion of "duty" or the definition of "better". They feel they have a right to be lazy and self-indulgent.

As we've seen with drunk driving and smoking in public, it takes the inducement of feelings of shame to stimulate these recalcitrants into adopting the procedures & effort to adhere to the norms that a society asks for or even demands. The previous sentence will rankle or even shock many modern folk. "Shame!? Induce!? Social norms and demands!!? We feel oppressed"!

But appealing to reason doesn't work. It takes social pressure of an often rigorous kind to motivate people into changing their damaging ways.

The problem is, as others have said, that too much shaming (especially if no practical solution if offered to rein-in bad behaviours) may make the self-indulgent one worse, as they go to their pleasure-behaviours to compensate for the hurt. A chocolate binge can be soothing!

All this is not to say that rights and freedoms are somehow bad. It's simply the recognition that one person's right is generally made available by other peoples' duties. If I have the right not to be mown down by a drunk driver or given lung cancer by my seven fag-addicted co-workers in the office, they have a duty to not drive when drunk and not smoke in the office.

In the case of the NHS, we can argue that taxpayers and those suffering delayed treatment for unavoidable ills have a right to a better NHS that's in part based on the duty of all not to self-abuse to the point that they take up scarce NHS resources and time. You could also make a strong case for those who become ill and disabled at their own hand (via continuous self-indulgence in various damaging pleasures) to have a duty not to degrade the lives and freedoms of their families.

On the other hand, we also have a duty to provide them with the means to avoid or cease their damaging and often addictive behaviours. This might include the inducement of shaming them but should include practical procedures and facilities for changing their behaviour. One big step would be to criminalise the fundamental causes - selling damaging foodstuffs; advertising things like cars via the portrayal of yob-driving; banning gambling; a whole host of other (usually profitable) dangers to well-being.

There's always a great danger, when creating more rigorous social norms and duties within a nation of community, that too much of our variable behaviour becomes subject to limitations, strictures, penalties, mockery and discrimination. It's a fine balance between rights and duties. But that's what a civilisation is for. Always there's a need to avoid confusing a legitimate demand for dutiful conformity with the demands of intolerant and stupid prejudice against not-me behaviours that are harmless to the rights of others.

If current political events and styles demonstrate one big lesson, it's that failure by the ruling class and other authorities to tend to this right-duty balance will have dire consequences for a society. If the ruling class is itself uncivil, self-indulgent and seemingly without any feelings of duty to others, this will amplify the social damage - especially when the politicians concerned prescribe lots of duties for the hoi-polloi whilst ignoring such duties in their own behaviour.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:

Not really he implies shame should be a factor in judging , in this case, peoples medical condition and should be so even if it may be wrongly applied.
Even if illnesses like type 2 diabetes are linked to so called "bad lifestyles" not all who suffer the disease do so for that reason. Series cases of type 2 can lead to limb amputation and worse. No matter what the cause of their disease someone suffering it's ill effects deserves sympathy rather than "blame and shame" from the sanctimonious.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:

Not really he implies shame should be a factor in judging , in this case, peoples medical condition and should be so even if it may be wrongly applied.
Even if illnesses like type 2 diabetes are linked to so called "bad lifestyles" not all who suffer the disease do so for that reason. Series cases of type 2 can lead to limb amputation and worse. No matter what the cause of their disease someone suffering it's ill effects deserves sympathy rather than "blame and shame" from the sanctimonious.

Yes, shame should be a factor in judging people's medical condition ... a factor .... if the medical condition is a result of a damaging behaviour that caused it and ... if the damaging behaviour can be changed by means of the person making some kind of choice. Shame is then one mechanism for prompting them to consider a better choice of behaviour (for both them and we other NHS users).

So, no '.. shaming should not be used "if it may be wrongly applied". If you suffer a medical ill through no choice of your own, shaming is inappropriate. Such shaming would be nothing but cruel mockery; and unjust.

Read my long-winded drone above for details. :-)

Are you saying, though, that no one should ever be induced to feel shame by others concerning any kind of behaviour at all, including both the self-damaging and the damaging-to-others? If so, I would like to see you make the case for that position, inclusive of reasons why we should forgive drunk drivers, wife-beaters, child abusers, misogynist gropers, psychopathic demagogues and Toads running over cyclists because they're in the way. WIll attempts to shame them always just make them worse, a la Trump?

Of ye go.

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes