IAM Survey - hidden agenda?

Rob Archer

IAM Survey - hidden agenda?

Post by Rob Archer »

The Institute of Advanced Motorists is currently running a survey on cycling safety 'for government consultation'. Some of the questions look to me as if they have a hidden agenda. In particular the questions about compulsory training and allowing cyclists to ride on the pavement. The IAM is certainly not the organisation it once was, and from contacts I have appears to be little more than a petrol-heads club. It does, however still carry a lot of clout with MPs and some sections within the DfT.

The site won't let me paste a link to the survey as I've already completed it but it should be accessible on the IAM Roadsmart site.

Thought?
gaz

Re: IAM Survey - hidden agenda?

Post by gaz »

I've looked for the survey but I haven't found it yet.

IAM have an account on here, one post in a long thread.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

iam posted last time, promised to share the results but did not do so, is it a trustworthy and serious organisation? is the bad, british association of drivers involved?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Rob Archer

Post by Rob Archer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:iam posted last time, promised to share the results but did not do so, is it a trustworthy and serious organisation? is the bad, british association of drivers involved?
I did a bit of research into the IAM when they abrubtly dropped their very positive cycling department and the 'How to be a better cyclist' book (which is rather good) a few years ago. Quite a few of the names which appear more recently in their publicity have been associated with the ABD in the past. Sad, as the IAM was always a voice of sanity in an otherwise-rabid pit of anti-cyclism.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm a member of the IAM and have been for over 20years.
TBH, I'm tired of it. I don't like the way it's going these days.

I enjoyed the cheaper insurance, but the last few renewals haven't been with the IAM Surety people because their prices got too high, so I told them to stuff it.
I found loads of insurances cheaper, and now we have a Toyota still within it's five year warranty, we got a good deal with Toyota Insurance with free add-ons.
Mick F. Cornwall