Bellless Bikes Residents At Risk

NATURAL ANKLING

Bellless Bikes Residents At Risk

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Not sure its a starter-
http://road.cc/content/news/242437-new- ... bike-bells

"Julian Lewis says people should be able to go about their business “without fear of being mown down by silent rogue cyclists"..."

"Responding to Lewis’s comments, Duncan Dollimore, Cycling UK’s head of campaigns, said: "Mr Lewis does seem rather selective with his road safety concerns. Back in 2014 he spoke out in a Westminster debate to warn about the danger cyclists presented to livestock in the New Forest, ignoring the evidence showing there had been no recorded instances of an animal killed or injured in an incident involving a cyclist in 15 years, but numerous incidents involving motor vehicles.

"This time it's speeding cyclists without bells that concerns him, but not a word about speeding drivers or the evidence about what presents the greatest risk.

"If Mr Lewis is truly concerned about road safety in the New Forest he could focus his attention on the collision blackspot in his own constituency, the unsafe junction at Ipley Cross, where cyclists Kieran Dix and Mark Brummell have both lost their lives in recent years, with several other collisions reported to the police."
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cugel

Re: Bellless Bikes Residents At Risk

Post by Cugel »

Tory wassocks, eh? How do they get so peculiar and who elects the rascals? Is The School for Scoundrels still open somewhere in the depths of Little Pugglewash?

On the other hand, I also advocate the bell, especially for those racy lads I ride with who even today still ride along shared paths too fast in the belief that they're "special" so others (particularly pedestrians) should just disappear when approached from behind. I have taken to pushing my way to the front of the crocodile so I can ring the dinger politely and force the thrusting Wiggo-emulators behind me to slow down. They do chunter and carp!

But back to Tory-bashing. Has anyone captured such a one so that we can tie him to a post by a dangerous junction then lecture-bash him all day in both ears until he comes to his senses? But, on reflection, such fellows (and the other gender of their ilk) don't seem to have any senses to come to.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cycling along a quiet country lane a few days ago I rang my loud bell a couple of times as I approached a young woman with her back to me. But she didn't show any sign of registering my approach. She still seemed surprised as I passed. I use bells, but they are over-rated. Pedestrians don't always seem ready to hear them. Maybe there are simply more deaf people around than I imagine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
All my bikes have bells, I use it probably about 20 - 30 times in 30 miles and probably about 30 % of the time as a pre-warning on blind corners, cycle paths included.
Typically only 10% of all on a shared path acknowledge with a hand / movement etc.

Many ignore say 50% and large percentage are dog walkers, even when they are head on and have seen me for at least 10 seconds or so. I get the feeling that some ignorance is intentional.
As two abreast cyclist and wrong side blind corner head on cyclist, take too long to move, I can deduce its just a selfish arrogant people thing, not all are old and partly deaf.

On bells preventing injury, it will make no difference, the complainers who were also named by the lord in my post link in the commons, they would complain just the same if it was flying ants.
The Lord needs to get a grip on an efficient use of time instead of attempting to raise profiles of friends who live in grassy places who resent sharing, probably wish the animals would also die off.

Shared paths are here and bikes are now more common place off road, I would push for a campaign of a code between cyclist and walkers to decline the increasing friction between the groups.

The non starter is that a bell as said is even heard / acknowledged by walkers, a percentage want to carry on in protest by pretending you are not there.

This is just another social failing of refusing to share public spaces.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I was riding in Tavistock the other day, and a chap stepped out of his car and began walking across the road to his wife.
It happened so quickly that all I could do was brake and swerve to the right. I had no time to even get at my bell even though I wasn't going fast.
His wife saw it all happening, and he saw me a the last split second as I swerved round him.
His wife was laughing out loud at her husband.

I said in a cheerful voice ............... "Ding! Ding!"
He laughed and said in a broad Devon accent, "You should get a bell, boy!"

I rang my bell in reply. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Typical retort!
Whats the highway code say on crossing road :roll:

Bloody speeding cyclist :lol:

Faced with that I shout very loud(last resort), happened often.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I find a polite cough more effective at attracting attention.
I attribute this to the brain being particularly attuned to the frequencies of the human voice box!
Certainly a solo walker will always react to a cough (assuming no headphones) from behind.
Perhaps the definite presence of another human is percieved as a potential threat; whereas a mere bell....
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

It points to politricians scoring points at a minority and unwanted section of road users,New Forest Tories seem the worst for it IMO.

I removed bells from my bikes some years ago in favour of the human voice as I couldn't win,if I spoke politely the retort was 'where's your bell and if and if I rang the bell I was told off for being agressive :?
It's only in the past couple of years I reinstated the bell on my bikes more as a response to the unwanted aggression from a minority of pedestrians.
Now if I ring it and get grief I stop and say "what do you want me to do so I'll know next time I see you,I can either shout to you or ring the bell.Which is it?"

I'm of the opinion that the UK general public at best accepts cycling grudgingly,or has an abject hatred for cycling and cyclists,I have a theory why that's so.
IMO it stems from an aggregate of a motoring first culture that spawns an unhealthy class system,and a total lack of any kind of decent and meaningful infrastructure with an added fear factor that if cycling is given the place and funding it deserves these poor souls think they may be forced to indulge :? .
In short the UK public would rather choke and get fat and unhealthy than cycle so it's all the fault of cycling :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

While we're on the 'legislation' trail, here are a couple of ideas:

1. Ban all road users, including pedestrians, from using headphones while on the move.
2. Ban all road users, including pedestrians, from using mobile phones while on the move.

No mileage?

I know 'victim blaming' is 'not on' on this forum (nor anywhere else) - and I'm not trying to absolve Charlie Alliston from a major share of the guilt in the recent tragic incident for which he was convicted ....

but....

It should be noted that evidence was submitted, that the woman he collided with was crossing the road whilst using her mobile phone.

Is it wrong to speculate on the 'what if's?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Vitara

Post by Vitara »

From Julian Lewis (or as he describes himself Dr Julian Lewis), this is actually rather tame.

He really does not like cyclists, and would prefer not to have them riding around the New Forest at all.

As has already been observed the high prevalence of motor vehicle related deaths and injuries in his constituency seems to have completely escaped his attention.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One of the Good Tories, Peter Temple-Morris, died recently

Or rather former Good Tories, he had upgraded to the Labour Party

Might Ken Clarke be a Good Tory? Are there any bad Labour People?

I use my bell quite a lot, everyone knows
Bell = cycle, right?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Wasn't there a Bicycle Bellless contest at the York Rally?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Mick F wrote:I was riding in Tavistock the other day, and a chap stepped out of his car and began walking across the road to his wife.
It happened so quickly that all I could do was brake and swerve to the right. I had no time to even get at my bell even though I wasn't going fast.
His wife saw it all happening, and he saw me a the last split second as I swerved round him.
His wife was laughing out loud at her husband.

I said in a cheerful voice ............... "Ding! Ding!"
He laughed and said in a broad Devon accent, "You should get a bell, boy!"

I rang my bell in reply. :lol:
I have a bell and it does give a good audible warning of my approach for most people, but I agree, when someone does something daft like that there's often little time to do anything other than try to avoid them. I wonder if his wife would have laughed if you'd knocked him flat. :wink: If his wife saw you she could have warned him.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Vitara wrote:From Julian Lewis (or as he describes himself Dr Julian Lewis), this is actually rather tame.

He really does not like cyclists, and would prefer not to have them riding around the New Forest at all.

As has already been observed the high prevalence of motor vehicle related deaths and injuries in his constituency seems to have completely escaped his attention.
I sometimes read The Lymington Times, which must now be the only remaining full sized newspaper, and this has spates of letters with similar views. It seems it's the norm for some residents of the New Forest.

“Speeding cyclists on rural roads in the New Forest...." How fast does he think cyclist can travel?

But motorists can do no wrong as they race along the A35 at 60mph. :roll:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Typical retort!
Whats the highway code say on crossing road :roll:

Bloody speeding cyclist :lol:

Faced with that I shout very loud(last resort), happened often.

Had the discussion with a petrolhead at work..... the legal requirement is an audible device.....ME