Suitable speed limit for minor country roads

Whippet

Re: Suitable speed limit for minor country roads

Post by Whippet »

I’m all for a speed reduction on rural roads, maybe we’d see a reduction in the slaughter of wildlife on the roadside.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

As has been alluded to in several posts above, the law already exists to prosecute drivers who are driving too fast for prevailing conditions. Unfortunately, as in e.g. knife crime, it is the failure to police and prosecute, which is the real problem. Papering over the cracks and pacifying the outraged public by introducing new laws, when perfectly adequate ones already exist, has been going on for quite a while. Introducing new limits without adequate enforcement is just another example of the same.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

I feel you may be missing the point. The national speed limit for minor country roads is 60 mph that is usually too high for safe driving. The limit needs reducing to give the general message to drivers that they are required to slow down on minor county roads, that most drivers do already. If someone is doing say 48 mph where say 40 mph would be reasonable safe, the police could not easily bring a prosecution, the driver would say they are within the limit. I do not think the CPS would support the police to bring a case of a driver doing 48 in a 60 mph zone, unless serious injuries are involved. The emphasis needs to be on prevention and not the prosecution side if possible. If the driver is doing 48 mph in a 40 mph zone, then the CPS would probably support the police. The point is trying to reduce speeding without court cases if possible, trying to avoid accidents rather than legal aspects.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Oxfordshire limits are effectively 50mph max. Not sure if it has had any impact on the stats for good or ill.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Steady rider wrote:I feel you may be missing the point. The national speed limit for minor country roads is 60 mph that is usually too high for safe driving. The limit needs reducing to give the general message to drivers that they are required to slow down on minor county roads, that most drivers do already. If someone is doing say 48 mph where say 40 mph would be reasonable safe, the police could not easily bring a prosecution, the driver would say they are within the limit. I do not think the CPS would support the police to bring a case of a driver doing 48 in a 60 mph zone, unless serious injuries are involved. The emphasis needs to be on prevention and not the prosecution side if possible. If the driver is doing 48 mph in a 40 mph zone, then the CPS would probably support the police. The point is trying to reduce speeding without court cases if possible, trying to avoid accidents rather than legal aspects.

Reading the thread about close passing, where it is felt that setting a specific limit would be counterproductive, I draw a similar parallel - the police have the power already to address excessive speed for prevailing conditions. If a speed limit is set, there will remain numerous instances where driving at or close below that limit is inappropriate and the police (if interested) would still need to enforce existing legislation to deal with it.

Nevertheless, I take your point that setting a lower limit may raise awareness.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I would like to see two improvements to new cars. One is dead easy. Electronic restriction to national speed limit of country of sale. Other could be done but at more cost. New cars to be automatically restricted by sensors in limit signs to that limit.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

mattsccm wrote:I would like to see two improvements to new cars. One is dead easy. Electronic restriction to national speed limit of country of sale. Other could be done but at more cost. New cars to be automatically restricted by sensors in limit signs to that limit.

I understand that many new cars are capable of reading road signs visually and displaying a warning to the driver if they're exceeding the speed limit.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
mattsccm wrote:I would like to see two improvements to new cars. One is dead easy. Electronic restriction to national speed limit of country of sale. Other could be done but at more cost. New cars to be automatically restricted by sensors in limit signs to that limit.

I understand that many new cars are capable of reading road signs visually and displaying a warning to the driver if they're exceeding the speed limit.

Yes M'Lud, but my car failed to read the speed limit sign for me :lol:
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Bmblbzzz wrote:

A simple telematics device that is often retrofitted for insurance purposes could be done on all older vehicles and simply have them built into new ones. They already record speeds, time of driving, sideways forces as well as acceleration and braking, they could easily have a GPS enabled and device that reduces speeds to a signal fitted into limit signs, it would also place vehicles at the time of incidents and will show up collisions, this would also be a deterrent to poor driving.

Restricting acceleration speeds would also go someway to increasing safety. Getting government to reduce the speed limits is the first priority, 20mph on all residential streets for a start off + other through roads, max of 40mph on all B, C and unclassified roads and were necessary lower (Local authorities should have every single road looked at and change speeds as required). We should get rid of the 'national speed limit' as a phrase, it's archaic and dangerous, many A roads are clearly not safe at 50mph even when in dead straight lines, drivers cannot be trusted to keep to safe speeds and crash far too often, it's then usually described as the road was dangerous, conditions were dreadful/dangerous, sun in eyes,someone else's fault etc :roll:

There's lots that can be done but government won't, they are complicit in the thousands of deaths and injuries through their inaction. :twisted:
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

The utility cyclist wrote:Restricting acceleration speeds would also go someway to increasing safety. Getting government to reduce the speed limits is the first priority, 20mph on all residential streets for a start off + other through roads, max of 40mph on all B, C and unclassified roads and were necessary lower (Local authorities should have every single road looked at and change speeds as required). We should get rid of the 'national speed limit' as a phrase, it's archaic and dangerous, many A roads are clearly not safe at 50mph even when in dead straight lines, drivers cannot be trusted to keep to safe speeds and crash far too often, it's then usually described as the road was dangerous, conditions were dreadful/dangerous, sun in eyes,someone else's fault etc :roll:

There's lots that can be done but government won't, they are complicit in the thousands of deaths and injuries through their inaction. :twisted:

Democracy is part of the problem here!* Bristol got 20mph throughout the central areas, mostly because the (non-party) mayor was a little bit of a greeny and thought it was a good idea. Since then many of the surrounding villages have done the same (they are all in other administrative areas). And now Bristol's 20mph limits are being "reviewed" with an eye to abolishing some, mostly because the current (Labour) mayor said he would as part of his electoral campaign.

*At least, some aspects of our democratic system.
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

The speed limit could be what ever you like. 30mph 150mph. The fact is people don’t give a rats ass. They will drive as fast as they Feel confident regardless of whether they are competent. The speed limit is not the problem. People’s perception of what makes a good driver is the problem.
My poor poor bottom
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

The 20mph limit through the school grounds is changed to 40mph along a lane the width of a car.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.1751135,0.0095952,3a,75y,19.21h,95.15t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZIMkFFdJhK8BeQBlZjtD4Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656! :shock:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Many lanes like that have no specific speed limit so the national 60mph applies. No more than half that is the sensible speed.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Ridiculous and there are so many instances where jumping from one speed to another is inappropriate and dangerous and basically gives the green light to thump the foot on the accelerator, usually in a fit of annoyance at being held up so exceed the higher limit by as much if not more than the lower limit. Even then they'll accelerate long before the limit change.
30 to 60 is a prime example coming out of villages.
Review all the roads now, cbange/lower the limits and then phase in electronic restrictions to adhere to that. We know this can be the only way as motorists simply won't adhere to speed limits.
This would be a massive jump in safety, lower emissions and employ tens of thousands retrofitting devices to all motors.

The only sticking point are the gutless governments of all parties who only have their own interests at the top of their agenda and not that of the nation/it's citizens, you only have to look at how the Cons are deliberately sabotaging the Brexit negotiations and further lies and bile spewed as facts so that it'll force a change/possibly force another referendum. They don't give a [extremely rude word redacted].
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Grandad wrote:Many lanes like that have no specific speed limit so the national 60mph applies. No more than half that is the sensible speed.

You're right, but most of those don't have a 60mph sign. However putting a 40mph sign on that road is effectively setting a target. A 20mph limit is imposed for the school for epileptic youngsters and is sensible. However it should be extended along the whole length of the lane and it's absurd not to. I'm very wary about cycling along St Pier's Lane as it is very twisty and in places there is hardly room for a cycle and motor vehicle to pass; both have to almost stop.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.