Level Crossing Closure - Network Rail

Adnepos

Level Crossing Closure - Network Rail

Post by Adnepos »

I've tried to keep this short...

There is a rolling programme of road repairs in Cambridgeshire ('drought damage repair') and to date the contractors minimise disruption to cycling -can pass most of the time that the road is 'closed'. I provided Network Rail with the names and contact details of the Council and contractor representatives who both have told me that Network Rail, not them, that insist that the level crossing be closed. This closure would result in a very significant detour for me. And this detour would be on some very unpleasant roads (A10 and A142).

I have asked Network Rail why they will close the level crossing referencing the responses from the Council and their contractor. If the contractors don't mind me presenting myself at the level crossing, what's the difference from use while the road is open? There are sensible ways for ensuring that the road repairers don't block the railway line short of closing the crossing, which may be at the 'Health and Safety' root of this carry on.

Network Rail hasn't helped itself in my eyes by twice 'miscommunicating' that it is the Council that requires the level crossing closure.

I am now getting the silent treatment from Network Rail.

If there's a good reason for the closure, I will suck it in. But Network Rail have not addressed my question truthfully so I am not minded to let this drop.

How do I proceed from here?
mjr

Re: Level Crossing Closure - Network Rail

Post by mjr »

Tell Ely Cycle, CamCycle and KLWNBUG which crossing and let us (I'll make sure KLWNBUG acts) add some pressure? Maybe Sustrans or the National Byway too, if it's oneof their routes?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Council Street Works Officer and the local MPs (who regulate network rail) would be the next formal point of calls, but that rarely works without public pressure IMO.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I don't know much about level crossing legislation, but it might be worth doing some research. I have a feeling - nothing more - that when crossings are closed to vehicles, they may remain open to pedestrians in some circumstances. I presume that some sort of order is used when crossings are closed. It might be useful to check the wording in this particular closure. If pedestrians are permitted to cross, then a cyclist wheeling a bike is a pedestrian. A ban on all vehicles would normally include cyclists. This seems to be a starting point:-
http://orr.gov.uk/rail/health-and-safet ... ssings-law
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

You will find a lot more level crossings closing in the near future.
After the outcry at Network clearing the trackside, all tree and shrub clearing has been banned.
As a result sighting of crossings by train drivers will be affected and Network will have to close crossings as vegetation prevents the drivers clear view on the approach to crossings.

A classic case of be careful what you wish for ... some may say.
Last edited by landsurfer on 8 Jun 2018, 7:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Adnepos wrote:I've tried to keep this short...

There is a rolling programme of road repairs in Cambridgeshire ('drought damage repair') and to date the contractors minimise disruption to cycling -can pass most of the time that the road is 'closed'. I provided Network Rail with the names and contact details of the Council and contractor representatives who both have told me that Network Rail, not them, that insist that the level crossing be closed. This closure would result in a very significant detour for me. And this detour would be on some very unpleasant roads (A10 and A142).

How do I proceed from here?

Depends on your aims....

If you want to get over the crossing, then ride up to it, stop short, walk up and politely ask those in hi-viz if it is safe to cross over. In my experience in Suffolk, they were happy for me to carry my bike over (they had dug all the crossing out, so there was about a foot up/down from sleeper base to rail top, four times, to get over the lines). If expecting to do it more than once, say "thank you", and "any reason why I can't come back over around 5pm?", etc..

If you want to make some political points, then need to mobilise the media about the dangers of being forced to cycle along the A10 because of lack of alternatives (which could have included walking over the crossing).
Adnepos

Post by Adnepos »

Blow me down with a feather!

After all that silent treatment, I've just had a phone call from Network Rail -pedestrian access across the level crossing will be maintained during the repairs.

Good outcome - and a few miles of motor-free cycling into the bargain! :D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I think that you are quite lucky. Network Rail have a stated objective of closing level crossings, wherever possible on the grounds of safety.

This has been discussed in the past on viewtopic.php?f=6&t=93697

Some of the links on the above thread are no longer valid, but this one bragging about how many crossings have been closed still works...
https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-t ... crossings/
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mjr

Post by mjr »

Vorpal wrote:I think that you are quite lucky. Network Rail have a stated objective of closing level crossings, wherever possible on the grounds of safety.

Yeah, I can see what they mean... While our backs were turned on a recent group ride, one rider put their bike on its stand in the middle of the tracks while they went back to hold the gate for others :roll: Cue much panicked shouting at them to get a bl**dy move on and clear the crossing!

However, Network Rail should be required to replace crossings with shallow-ramped foot/cycle under or overbridges wherever possible, on the grounds of not cutting people off from our neighbours.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think there's a difference between a general policy to remove level crossings permanently on safety grounds and closing them temporarily to motor traffic during repairs, which is what seems to have happened here.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

There are several LCs near us and they frequently announce closures, mostly at weekends. For the most part these haven't been on occasions when I've wanted to cycle across - or else there's been a warning in good time and I can choose an alternative.

One one occasion I remember being caught out. This was on a main road, the closure made it impassable to vehicles and pedestrians alike. But this was one which is adjacent to a station, and we were told to cross via the station footbridge. Not much fun humping the bikes up and down the steps, but we managed. Might have been a different story with a heavily-loaded tandem...

I don't think there's much one can do about such situations, especially if trains are continuing to run. Have a look on the map, there may be an uncontrolled footpath crossing nearby (there are many in our area). Network Rail don't like them very much, because they can be dangerous especially for children. But there's one very close to our house that we use quite often. So long as you look both ways and take care, it's fairly safe to use.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Closing crossings to motors only
Great way to encourage upgrading to cycling
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies