Ultra-low emission zone in London

Wanlock Dod

Ultra-low emission zone in London

Post by Wanlock Dod »

Given that the ultra-low emission zone is apparently going to be rather bigger than folks thought, it sounds as though it could be a big and quite beneficial step for cycling as it's effects will be widespread rather than restricted to a few OK cycle routes.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Ultra-low emission zone in London

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One earnestly hopes..

But what will he do about Oxford Street? (The Guardian reported, this may be one place where he can make a difference. Or not)

A few diesels have been banned from a couple of short streets in Hamburg. Anybody bothering to obey the law has to take a longer route :?

Could be a start, mind
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

at the moment it will be the exosting congestion charge zone, but the mayor wants to extend it to include every thing in the north and south circulars - some hope I think as that includes much of London and poor areas who might have an old car, the car has to be only afew years old I think to pass the test. well I am rather flabbercased he has got way with it

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/ulez-boundary-map-from-25-october-2021.pdf

well the next elections for mayor of london is 2020 so I know who I wont be voting for. I bet many living within the circulars will also vote against him and the policy maybe reversed somewhat. If it goes ahead it will end up hitting poor people and force them off the roads.

What makes me laugh is I can run an old 1975 Kawasaki triple 2 stroke that belches smoke and fumes in the ULEZ :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: as it will be a vintage class m/c

time to get one I think
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Given euro 6 vehicles haven't even strictly being meeting euro6 levels at any point and were granted a 110% leeway/conformity factor to manufacturers, the ULEZ is a joke! :twisted: https://www.euractiv.com/section/air-po ... city-bans/
I pointed this out in the public response and obviously ignored, I could prove my 'dirty' 2001 Passat ran cleaner than many euro6 and has been shown in tests that a Euro 4 actually was, and by a wide margin in many comparisons :roll:
The whole 'classic' vehicle thing is a disgrace from top to bottom :twisted:
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

Personally I'm convinced that however much you do to facilitate cycling the thing that really makes cycling practical is a real restriction on motor traffic. There is an article in the Guardian Where to move for… cycling which concludes that Cambridge is the best place in the UK for cycling, yet it has historically had a traffic congestion problem. As soon as people have a good incentive to move away from cars to another form of transport the streets will start to become less hostile to cyclists, and things will grow from there as gradually more people see cycling as something that might actually be safe enough for them to do now that there is less traffic. Time will tell.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Did I see an article recently, that said many modern diesels won't pass their first MOT emissions test? If that's true, I imagine there'll be lots of angry diesel owners around. It rather appears that that the cars have been passed fit to sell, but they won't be passed fit to drive. Will a class action follow, against manufacturers and government?