Police Scotland victim blaming Campaign

The utility cyclist

Police Scotland victim blaming Campaign

Post by The utility cyclist »

They have a victim blaming campaign on this week in Scotland http://www.scotland.police.uk/whats-hap ... -next-week
"All road users, particularly those in the vulnerable category, are encouraged to take responsibility for their own safety and to share our road space respectfully and responsibly too."
This is just so typical, knowing full well that the majority of fault is with those in the big lumps that kill and maim with virtual impunity, well done on that po-po, why not tell women to wear anti rape devices and everyone a stab vest whilst you're at it, cretins :twisted:
Cyril Haearn

Re: Police Scotland victim blaming Campaign

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Badly written too, grrr :?

"If necessary to enforce".... "Smombies" on foot, on foot! ... . I do (not) not believe it!

What do they do the other 51 weeks?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I agree with OP.
The one's in charge of the vehicles likely and capable of causing the most harm on the roads are the one's who need targeting first IMO and not the vulnerable users of Scotland's roads.
The term "victim blaming" isn't misplaced :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Have you tried that hashtag?
So far all I find is speed guns, telling drivers to be aware crossing lights might go red when you see pedestrians standing near them, park safe patrols, reminding drivers of 20 mph around schools, telling drivers to watch out for cyclists and children,
Same hashtag last year throws up safe distance passing of cyclists, safe passing of horse riders, text/ phone driver reaction times.
The only thing I suppose you think is victim blaming is in the chief supers preamble he says "
All road users, particularly those in the vulnerable category, are encouraged to take responsibility for their own safety and to share our road space respectfully and responsibly too. The increased use of new technologies, mainly smart phones, has increased the risks of road traffic distraction, for both drivers and pedestrians. Pedestrians who walk when they are distracted by mobile phones are commonly referred to as Smombies (smart phone zombies) are at particular risk, and I am appealing to them to be aware of their surroundings at all times.

As a cyclists I’ve come across a lot of Smombies and if they step out in front of me we might both get some bruises. If they step out in front of car? Well there’s another possible death statistic. If that step out is 10 metres before a car can we really blame the driver?
It’s early days and they might prove you right later on but do you remember TheNiceWayCode backed by CUK. I think ScotSquad et al hopefully learned their lesson then.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Hamish Brown described how he used to read a book while walking boring tracks in the Scotch wilderness
PS could book him for smombieing, but what offence was he committing exactly?

Is smombieing while walking an offence even now? What other non-offences (apart from h*****s) are the cops targetting?
pwa

Post by pwa »

They could have worded that better, certainly, but if anyone wants to get a broader impression of that website they could look at other articles such as this
http://www.scotland.police.uk/whats-hap ... le-driving
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Good spot. As a resident of Scotlandshire I think I feel a Moan coming on...
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well it is just a clumsy version of the advice that is given to motor cyclists? to ride in a defensive way looking for trouble spots.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not read it, sorry.
It's more of the same I would think.

We all have to take responsibility for our own actions.
The more vulnerable you are, the more you have to take care.

It's a jungle out there, and not everyone obeys the rules, so don't forget it.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:They could have worded that better, certainly, but if anyone wants to get a broader impression of that website they could look at other articles such as this

Even worse than a week of "action", just one day
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
pwa wrote:They could have worded that better, certainly, but if anyone wants to get a broader impression of that website they could look at other articles such as this

Point is, though, judge the attitude of this website by their general output of articles, not just by one. The OP article could have been expressed better, something along the lines of "We know you are not to blame for all the carnage on the roads, but please do what you can to keep yourself safe by doing X, Y and Z" would have carried the message. But if you take the time to look at the other articles on that website you will see that they are looking at road safety from all angles, this being just the latest.

And the bit about alcohol leading people to put themselves in danger is very true and well worth saying.
Last edited by pwa on 19 Jun 2018, 9:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:

Point is, though, judge the attitude of this website by their general output of articles, not just by one. The OP article could have been expressed better, something along the lines of "We know you are not to blame for all the carnage on the roads, but please do what you can to keep yourself safe by doing X, Y and Z" would have carried the message. But if you take the time to look at the other articles on that website you will see that they are looking at road safety from all angles, this being just the latest.

Time and effort spent on "education" is time and effort not available for enforcement
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
pwa wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Even worse than a week of "action", just one day

Time and effort spent on "education" is time and effort not available for enforcement

If you are saying education is a waste of time, I disagree.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Education? Teach them to read by issuing tickets and points
Ignorance of the law is no excuse
Illiteracy is no excuse

I would not be surprised if the cops started talking about the fourth "e" soon, empathy
That is rather less than "education", one might say rather less than doing nothing

Surely they should concentrate on offences, rather than non-offences. Smombieing while walking is not forbidden
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Education? Teach them to read by issuing tickets and points
Ignorance of the law is no excuse
Illiteracy is no excuse

I would not be surprised if the cops started talking about the fourth "e" soon, empathy
That is rather less than "education", one might say rather less than doing nothing

Surely they should concentrate on offences, rather than non-offences. Smombieing while walking is not forbidden

So people going into schools and telling young people about the misery that irresponsible driving causes is a waste of time? You are wrong on that one.