Swapping penalty points

NUKe

Re: Swapping penalty points

Post by NUKe »

Fiona Onasanya refuses to resign because its her only source of income. She will continue to be payed her MP's salary. Should be more like monopoly Go to Jail do not pass go do not collect £200. Any normal person would loose there Salary and more likely there job.
NUKe

Post by Bonefishblues »

NUKe wrote:Fiona Onasanya refuses to resign because its her only source of income. She will continue to be payed her MP's salary. Should be more like monopoly Go to Jail do not pass go do not collect £200. Any normal person would loose there Salary and more likely there job.

It's within her constituents' gift to throw her out. I expect that will happen. If they don't they've only themselves to blame.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

AIUI, her constituents can only take action after all the appeal processes have been completed.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

thirdcrank wrote:AIUI, her constituents can only take action after all the appeal processes have been completed.

Yes, that's my understanding also.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote:AIUI, her constituents can only take action after all the appeal processes have been completed.

The Conservative leader of Peterborough City Council is very critical of her saying she must go. The man has a sense of irony given that one of his fellow Tory councillors served a jail term whilst remaining a councillor and then carried on when he was let out. The reason he was jailed was for housing benefit fraud offence committed against Peterborough City Council.
When he resumed his seat the Tory leadership said he had served his punishment and that was the end of the matter.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/new ... ed-1-56839
Last edited by pete75 on 31 Jan 2019, 5:10pm, edited 2 times in total.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Brilliant! In a completely not brilliant at all way.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Since the early nineties Peterborough city council has had five of it's members jailed and another of criminal damage to a car after a car park argument but not jailed. He's currently a Cabinet member. Oh and another councillor who was only one grade above being a pimp - he had a lap dancing establishment.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote:I see that somebody has raised this with the attorney general

Fiona Onasanya: Peterborough MP's jail term to be reviewed
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-c ... e-47071120

FWIW, I thought the going rate for MPs convicted of this was 8 months.

The Attorney General, a Conservative MP, is to make a decison regarding the sentencing of someone elected to Parliament as a Labour MP. No bias there then.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

He's acting with his learned friend hat on - perhaps it's a wig. The decision about the sentence would be made by the Court of Appeal.

I have read a book by Matthew Parris about politicians who had been in trouble with the law and IIRC he was rather forgiving, although it's a while since I read it and it's out-of-print.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Parliame ... 542&sr=1-8

Which reminds me, I don't seem to hear much about Sniveller Parris these days, although I see he still writes for The Times and Spectator.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

pete75 wrote:Since the early nineties Peterborough city council has had five of it's members jailed and another of criminal damage to a car after a car park argument but not jailed. He's currently a Cabinet member. Oh and another councillor who was only one grade above being a pimp - he had a lap dancing establishment.

You get the council you deserve(not you personally Pete) if people keep on voting for these morally corrupt individuals then nothing will change.
NUKe

Post by pete75 »

NUKe wrote:
pete75 wrote:Since the early nineties Peterborough city council has had five of it's members jailed and another of criminal damage to a car after a car park argument but not jailed. He's currently a Cabinet member. Oh and another councillor who was only one grade above being a pimp - he had a lap dancing establishment.

You get the council you deserve(not you personally Pete) if people keep on voting for these morally corrupt individuals then nothing will change.

Yes it's changed in Peterborough. For many years this man, Charlie Swift, was leader of the city council. He always arrived at the town hall by bike , walking around in his bicycle clips. He never drove apart from trains - he was a engine driver by trade starting in the days of steam. When a lot of EU migrants arrived in his ward Charlie, then well into his seventies, learnt to speak Polish so he could communicate with them.
Some years ago there was a documentary about migrants in Peterborough. The interviewer was talking to him in his living room and asked to be shown around the ward. When asked how they'd get around Charlie said "the same as me use your legs" and lent him his wife's bike. The way he said it and the reaction he got was quite funny.

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2014-07 ... -politics/

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/new ... -1-8458014

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/new ... -1-7196635