compulsary bells back on the agenda!

Retour64

Re: compulsary bells back on the agenda!

Post by Retour64 »

Who needs bells? My small white terrier keeps stealth cocking his leg on my back wheel when I get home from work and the resulting micro-corrosion causes my back brake to squeal until it wears smooth again.
The result on pedestrians varies between acceptance of an approaching bike to something just short of heart attack.
If he does not stop this I will have to get him his own bike rather than constantly claiming ownership of mine. (Shades of the old joke 'how do you stop your dog chasing people on a bike? Take the bike off him.) :wink:
'The nasty cyclist'
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

-My dog is so intelligent, she reads the newspaper every morning!

-I know, my dog told me
Why have a dog and brake yourself? You could put him in a wicker basket on the handlebars, then he could bark for you, soon he might be a little horse :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

Wait. are we saying I don’t need to have a bell? That will give me space for a bigger computer screen
My poor poor bottom
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
A bit surprised the other day at the amount of walkers etc that acknowledged my bell :)
Then I found these-
SDC14432_AAA.jpg
2018-07-08_015416_B.jpg
2018-07-08_015634_A.jpg

Some sort of code of practice off road would go along way.
If you have a bell then there is no problem with as said saying wheres your bell, they did not hear is beside the point.
I always make allowances for headphones OAP's etc, just pass slowly, if they cant hear my bell my horn and my voice then fat chance they will hear a hybrid.
No, a bell on the road is pretty useless for your safety apart from those on foot who assume quite is no traffic and walk without looking :evil:

What is that in the first picture.

NUKe
NUKe

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Anonymous jogger, thought best to blank the image out :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Xilter wrote:Wait. are we saying I don’t need to have a bell?

If by "I don't need to have a bell" you mean "I am not legally required to have a bell", the answer is varaible and depends upon the laws of the country you are cycling in at the time.

For example you do not need a bell in England, Scotland or Wales, you do need a bell in Northern Ireland.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:-My dog is so intelligent, she reads the newspaper every morning!

-I know, my dog told me
Why have a dog and brake yourself? You could put him in a wicker basket on the handlebars, then he could bark for you, soon he might be a little horse :wink:

My collies could ride bikes if they wanted. Oh yes they could! We could form a small club, with a rota of through & off determining who must bark should a screen-mesmerised pedestrian jerk into the roadway. It would be the collie on the front, assuming they weren't trying so hard as to have no bark-breath left.

I can bark if I have to. The collies are also teaching me to nip, especially at the ankles. This could be useful on a Friday night in the toon, after a tough has knocked me to the pavement for sniggering at his bad haircut and even worse tattoo.

Cugel, proto-collie.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
dave holladay

Post by dave holladay »

Why can't the same basic law apply to all road users - C&U Regulations require all motor vehicles to have an audible warning of approach - so all cyclists should have the same. Most don't actually require a bell, as it might manage 40-45dBA - I use an integral system which can manage 90-95dBA and can generally get the hubbub in a bar to shut up when activated. It also has the advantage of being modified to direct the alert/warning to a specific road user "You stupid ...." (best as a monosyllabic final word)

The ACME Thunderer is equally impressive and produces a piercing high frequency warbling note, which a high portability and its can be used by pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders.

The Vuvuzela is loud but not especially portable or practical on a bike.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

At last the Vuvuzela has been mentioned, +1

A cyclist already has an audible warning: her voice :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The number of times I ring my bell and the person walking along in the middle of the lane doesn't hear it.
Happened to me again only this morning.

Once, I was ringing and ringing to get past some people walking along deep in conversation.
Eventually, one person turned round and said that they wondered what that ringing noise was! :lol:

Honestly, you couldn't make it up!
Mick F. Cornwall
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

Mick F wrote:The number of times I ring my bell and the person walking along in the middle of the lane doesn't hear it.

Once, I was ringing and ringing to get past some people walking along deep in conversation.
Eventually, one person turned round and said that they wondered what that ringing noise was! :lol:

You need to replace your bell for a squeaky horn :P

Something such as

https://www.parkersofbolton.co.uk/produ ... gLjsfD_BwE
My poor poor bottom
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Mick F wrote:The number of times I ring my bell and the person walking along in the middle of the lane doesn't hear it.

Been there many times :roll:
Even got an electric horn but alas three joggers still cant hear me.
atoz

Post by atoz »

Been there many times :roll:
Even got an electric horn but alas three joggers still cant hear me.

You can get a whistle that sounds like a train whistle as an alternative https://shop.railwaymuseum.org.uk/wooden-train-whistle.htm?trackterm=whistle - would be interesting, to say the least, on a railway cycle path. Though you could go the whole hog and download a BR diesel train horn sample- just need something to blast it out on the bike..lol
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Looks like the grim reaper.
NUKe

Hi,
NUKe wrote:

Looks like the grim reaper.

Rear shot..................and by accident.........nice figure :)
Still think I did the right thing.