compulsary bells back on the agenda!

atoz

Re: compulsary bells back on the agenda!

Post by atoz »

I have one for each and every bike- but that's because I've been hassled when I've ridden on my local canal towpath "where's your bell?"- even when I've rung it!

In my experience, quite a few of the people who hassle you about bells actually can't hear them. That is because they are often over a certain age, and unfortunately when you get (well over) retirement age there is a good chance your hearing just won't cut it for high frequencies any more, so bells are often about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. My late parents pointed this problem out to me years ago- being ex cyclists themselves, they were only too aware of the problem. They also had hearing issues themselves, which they demonstrated by asking me to ring the bell in question and failing to hear it.

So I only have one just so people can't say I don't have one- whether they hear it or not is in the lap of the gods.

Oh yes..and sometimes you get hassle for raising your voice instead of using the bell...you just won't win this one..

I always remember this song when this subject comes up, but that's showing my age..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_My_Bell- check out this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIFUC2ISCoc
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
A bit surprised the other day at the amount of walkers etc that acknowledged my bell :)
Then I found these-
SDC14432_AAA.jpg
2018-07-08_015416_B.jpg
2018-07-08_015634_A.jpg

Some sort of code of practice off road would go along way.
If you have a bell then there is no problem with as said saying wheres your bell, they did not hear is beside the point.
I always make allowances for headphones OAP's etc, just pass slowly, if they cant hear my bell my horn and my voice then fat chance they will hear a hybrid.
No, a bell on the road is pretty useless for your safety apart from those on foot who assume quite is no traffic and walk without looking :evil:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

I think it's rude to ring your bell at pedestrians on a shared use path, it's akin to motorists honking their horns at you to get you out of their way. I also find that ringing a bell makes pedestrians stop, look about and then turn around (generally arms wide like a goalkeeper).
An assertive call of "passing on your right" generally works best. Use this with a bit of time to spare in case A: they are wearing headphones and can't hear you or B: they only hear "right" and move to their right.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
mjr

Post by mjr »

A melodious bell is nothing like honking. It's far ruder to shout "assertively" at people.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

I disagree about a bell being rude. As long as you ring it a good distance before you reach a pedestrian on a shared use path then it lets them know you're there and stops them doing anything silly like jumping sideways.
A quick "thank you" and giving the appearance of being overly cautious when you pass them goes a long way too.

I also find my bell essential when filtering past stationary busses & lorries just in-case an pedestrian is about to jump out from in front of one.

For cars and anyone who can't hear the bell I also have a 120db Airzound - I'm sure it's saved my life on at least one occasion.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mjr wrote:A melodious bell is nothing like honking. It's far ruder to shout "assertively" at people.

Plus One
It's a beautiful noise (Neil Diamond)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
resus1uk

Post by resus1uk »

In Holland I used the two tone bells on my Gazelle which sounded polite . I brought two home for my trikes, though they are on sale here. They sound melodious & less aggressive on the railway trails shared with walkers here in Derbyshire. Better than the lycra clad warriors shouting "Coming through" I met spectating on the TdY as they charged through a group of families with tag alongs & disabled on trikes & recumbants.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

Steady rider wrote:I use my brake levers by flicking them, that make a click, click, etc to warn people but I don't know anyone else that does this.

Well yes I used to do that, and it can be quite effective. Given I am regularly cycling to work now though I have invested in a v.loud dutch bell. Definitely helps stopping me getting "doored" as I pass the parked cars outside the school...
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

So are bells polite/impolite? Is vocal alerting polite/impolite?

And the answer is different people (both giving and receiving ends) see it different ways. So you can't win.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Shouting "careful!" or something similar at pedestrians about to step in the road works well and unlikely to be considered aggressive.
About to pass a woman this morning who looked likely to step out I rung my bell only to get "I saw you, you tw*t" in response.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

If someone wants to be offended, they will be. And a significant part of the population is permanently primed for indignation, just waiting for a trigger. In those cases, calling, not calling, ringing, not ringing, all get the same response.

My local cycle path runs closer to the brook than the footpath, so it is the preferred route for many dog walkers. That's OK. I understand the reasoning. I slow down and call out 'excuse me'. Judging by the reaction of some of them (comments, dirty looks or just dumb refusal to move aside), I may as well have sounded an air horn, insulted their whole family, cast doubt on their dog's ancestry and mooned at them as I went past.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
pjclinch wrote:So are bells polite/impolite? Is vocal alerting polite/impolite?

And the answer is different people (both giving and receiving ends) see it different ways. So you can't win.

No contest just observations by individuals.

My first last week I used my voice first.
I was on a path I think but you could mistake a track on open moorland as legal.
Two peds with dogs on leads and after quietly mumbling to get attention, one apologised for being in the way, then said have you got a bell.....................they then noticed I did have one.

Like I said a first for me as my bells normally fall off from overuse!
Whether (well dog walkers :? , I am a dog walker of decades too) this was a retort from being surprised by me or just polite conversation we will never know but we were all polite and I moved on.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Spot on
Some people are determined to be offended :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mikeyg123 wrote:Shouting "careful!" or something similar at pedestrians about to step in the road works well and unlikely to be considered aggressive.
About to pass a woman this morning who looked likely to step out I rung my bell only to get "I saw you, you tw*t" in response.

My response to that would've been an Anglo Saxon one comprising of a four letter followed by a three letter words spoken in an upbeat cheery fashion so as not to offend :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
reohn2 wrote:

Spot on
Some people are determined to be offended :?

+1
Some friends at weekend (not mine :mrgreen: )
Went to london :?
One couple went to see some childrens favourite films projected on to a concrete shack whilst sitting on cobbles in the rain......................cushion allowed but not a seat...........................no wonder they left before second film had finished!

Other went as usual to some party / barby-q / mates / friends (they think)...................got bitten by hungry dog waiting for scraps on the face :P

I said on hearing this.........I rather be wild camping on the moors in a blizzard on my own, no wonder I cycle alone :lol: