Close-pass prevention - Well I never!!!

Steady rider

Re: Close-pass prevention - Well I never!!!

Post by Steady rider »

The reason not to focus on enforcement relates to funding. It has been obvious for some years that a selection is used for enforcement, some issues get the go ahead. The Highway Code may be reviewed shortly and I would like to see improvements for cyclists. Levels of enforcement depends on funding and other aspects.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

There is a law against murder but the Police spend no time trying to enforce it. Too much waffle about enforcement here. Make a clear law with easily understood distances and many more motorists will abide by it. It will create debate and raise observance of the law, especially when people realise many cyclists have dashcams and are sending in footage of lawbreakers. A few high profile prosecutions will concentrate minds especially when points start to accumulate.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
gaz

Post by gaz »

al_yrpal wrote:Too much waffle about enforcement here.

Would that be the same enforcement as you are describing as a necessary mechanism for compliance? :? .
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Bez wrote:I had a bunch of clarification yesterday via Twitter and email. Long story short:

- The issue of licensing appears to not to be a problem: Nextbase claim that no videos uploaded to NDSP go via their servers, and basically they've stuck the wrong T&Cs at the bottom of the page.
- The portal on the Hampshire site is indeed a national portal: the majority of forces are apparently intending to migrate to it.
- I'm not entirely sure how/whether the two portals will co-exist.

While we're here, let's check in on how the current legislation is performing:

https://twitter.com/wmprhrt/status/1014 ... 12352?s=21

;)

Aye but using experienced male riders as the yardstick whom are riding as technically as perfect as possible (as admitted by them in the twitter feed) isn't an accurate representation/cross section of people riding bikes. The standard of driving to trigger them (WMP) to act is far too low because of that. experienced riders/road users are very much prone to ignoring a fair % of crap driving, basically they are targeting the worst when actually it'd be at least every other driver that would be driving below the threshold of safe and considerate driving amongst a vulnerable road user.
let's see how many instances would be flagged up by putting a female officer in place, or an inexperienced male/female officer in place.
What if you were to put a child in that position, yeah, you can put your house on it they would feel fear of harm/alarm/distress in at least 80% of the overtakes, and I think that's conservative. Whilst they are doing a grand job for what they are doing/attempting to do it's still slanted in the motorists favour.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

al_yrpal wrote:There is a law against murder but the Police spend no time trying to enforce it. Too much waffle about enforcement here. Make a clear law with easily understood distances and many more motorists will abide by it. It will create debate and raise observance of the law, especially when people realise many cyclists have dashcams and are sending in footage of lawbreakers. A few high profile prosecutions will concentrate minds especially when points start to accumulate.

That sounds to me like policing by media release, which is what we have already. It impresses those who are impressed by it.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

thirdcrank wrote:That sounds to me like policing by media release, which is what we have already. It impresses those who are impressed by it.

Personally dont care whether it is or not. If there are so few Police about like around here if a media release results in fewer cyclist deaths and injuries, bring it on…

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

al_yrpal wrote: ...
Personally dont care whether it is or not. If there are so few Police about like around here if a media release results in fewer cyclist deaths and injuries, bring it on…

How does the number of police about in your area affect this?
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Public awareness campaigns are a main way of achieving change.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Steady rider wrote:Public awareness campaigns are a main way of achieving change.

It's not work for driving whilst on the phone :? :evil:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
Steady rider wrote:Public awareness campaigns are a main way of achieving change.

It did allegedly work for drink-driving, what is the difference?

My spontaneous suggestion: back then many males had served in the forces where they had to be disciplined, obey orders and learned the difference between Right and Wrong :?

Alternative facts welcome
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones- ... ng-the-law

You can get 6 penalty points and a £200 fine if you use a hand-held phone when driving. You’ll also lose your licence if you passed your driving test in the last 2 years.

I image this may have some effect.

http://think.direct.gov.uk/mobile-phones.html
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Steady rider wrote:https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law

You can get 6 penalty points and a £200 fine if you use a hand-held phone when driving. You’ll also lose your licence if you passed your driving test in the last 2 years.

I image this may have some effect.

http://think.direct.gov.uk/mobile-phones.html

.. Can get..
.. If one is caught.. :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bez

Post by Bez »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

It did allegedly work for drink-driving, what is the difference?

Easy. The anti drink driving message was backed up with enforcement.

I believe research has shown that educational campaigns designed to improve driver behaviour have rarely/never had a statistically significant positive effect other than when they are backed up by enforcement.

It's not enough to appeal to people's benevolent nature, because even if people do take notice of it, the people who respond to these things generally won't be the ones who need to be reached. The highest risk people are the ones who largely don't give a toss about the risk they pose to others, and while they're not significantly influenced by a benevolent nature they are influenced by a realistic prospect of getting nicked, even if that influence isn't as strong as we might like. (These people are also, I would suggest, not going to be influenced by basically adding a number to an existing message.)

(I confess I fail to recall the source(s) to cite concerning the research but, given the general evidence basis for the counter argument, meh ;))
Last edited by Bez on 6 Jul 2018, 5:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bez

Post by Bez »

Cyril Haearn wrote:My spontaneous suggestion: back then many males had served in the forces where they had to be disciplined, obey orders and learned the difference between Right and Wrong :?
Alternative facts welcome

My experience is full of alternative facts on that one. I don't think that theory holds water at all. (And since when being disciplined and obeying orders have anything to do with learning the difference between right and wrong? Have you forgotten the first half of the 20th century?)