two days at 80 Km/h

661-Pete

two days at 80 Km/h

Post by 661-Pete »

Just got back from one of our regular trips (by car) across France, and a significant difference this time - the much-publicised and much-debated reduction of the NSL (on single-carriageway roads outside town) from 90Km/h to 80Km/h (about 50mph), which came into force on 1 July.

It didn't affect our entire journey because much of that was on autoroutes and D/Cs which aren't affected. But there were several long stretches of D-roads, many with long straight sections, where the change in speed was quite noticeable. And it seemed that local motorists were less inclined to overtake us, than they normally are. Perhaps they were living in mortal fear of the radars (cameras) - which have all been adjusted ahead of the change - or the gendarmes who, we were warned, would be out in force with a zero-tolerance brief (we didn't see many of the latter though).

Of course the motoring lobby are up in arms about this, but the Government has presumably reasoned, if it saves one life, it will have been worthwhile.

This makes me wonder. France, which has miles upon miles of relatively wide and straight N- and D-roads, many with far less traffic than their British counterparts, has now a NSL which is 10mph lower than the British one. Seems ironical. So what chance of a change here in UK then? Would it make sense? I can see a clear benefit for cyclists and other vulnerable road users, if nothing else.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Re: two days at 80 Km/h

Post by Cyril Haearn »

10 kmh not mph?

Plus One, it will save many lives
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

I tend to drive at more like 50 than 60 on normal roads where the limit is 60. It just feels like the right speed anyway. In France I get irritated by folk who velcro their car to my rear bumper, anxious to get past me at the first half chance.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

661-Pete wrote:Just got back from one of our regular trips (by car) across France, and a significant difference this time - the much-publicised and much-debated reduction of the NSL (on single-carriageway roads outside town) from 90Km/h to 80Km/h (about 50mph), which came into force on 1 July.

It didn't affect our entire journey because much of that was on autoroutes and D/Cs which aren't affected.

Given that you do the same journey regularly, did you find your overall journey time affected much?
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

661-Pete wrote:Of course the motoring lobby are up in arms about this, but the Government has presumably reasoned, if it saves one life, it will have been worthwhile.

AFAIK they DON'T calculate like that. You can save n lives by spending £x or by reducing speed limits by y mph. That's for sure.

It's more of a cost per life calculation. If you save 100 lives but it costs £10billion in extra commute time (however they count that), then that might be a 'no'.

Things work differentl when it's things like Grenfell Tower where there is blame to be imputed.

But the transport analysts will calculate costs based on the deemed value of people's time and then only make changes if the number of people killed outweighs that. (of course there is always the 'neutral' position, which is to do nothing.)
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:10 kmh not mph?

If my figures are right, it's 80kph = 50 mph in France and 60mph in the UK, so 10mph difference.

Used to be 90kph, so still a little lower, but closer.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Given that you do the same journey regularly, did you find your overall journey time affected much?
My guess is, hardly at all. Overall journey time is more affected by how long we allow for lunch stops, loo breaks, and rest breaks (very necessary at my age!). Plus there's always the risk of getting stuck behind Fermier Gilles in his slow-moving tractor for miles and miles on end!

On this occasion, parts of the journey were through torrential rain and thunderstorms, so we had to slow down anyway (below 30mph in some places, the rain was that heavy). That did add to our overall time.

I'm inclined to come round to the way of thinking, 50mph makes a lot of sense on British A and B roads. Maybe this is my age speaking! We could keep the 70mph on D/Cs and motorways, of course, to appease the motoring lobby (in France it's mostly 110Km/h - about 70mph - and 130Km/h on some autoroutes).
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).