Deterrence

Bez

Re: Deterrence

Post by Bez »

pete75 wrote:You mena people will commit minor acts of dishonesty knowing are likely to be caught?

Yes, but "caught" can mean anything from merely "found out" to "shot at dawn" and the research was right at the bottom of that spectrum so I'm not saying the behaviour necessarily transfers.

However, given other research which suggests that fines have limited potency and can even be counter-productive, and personal experience whereby people who are inclined to speed aren't put off by seeing (and getting caught by) lots of speed cameras, I certainly wouldn't write it off in the context of "minor" driving offences.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Society works through most people acting appropriately: they do "the right thing." Of course, this is circular because it's only appropriate because most people do it. Society advances through some of those who don't conform doing things which are eventually considered better. All value-laden.

This is relevant to bad driving and the law in two ways: the appropriate standard is falling partly through less enforcement but alleged offenders are judged against that standard. Again, it's circular but spiralling downwards.

BTW is this good French?

Trop longtemps; n'a pas lu
Bez

Post by Bez »

No, it's wrong. I'm guessing someone used Google Translate ;)
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

Bez wrote:No, it's wrong. I'm guessing someone used Google Translate ;)

Why yes, yes I did... :x