Close pass in other lanes

mikeyg123

Close pass in other lanes

Post by mikeyg123 »

Something not mentioned in the close pass campaign but happens to me is for cars to squash past when I'm using the centre or right hand lanes.

At many large junctions there are several lanes. If I'm cycling straight on or turning right it is correct to use the centre or right hand lanes. As I understand it the correct road position is in the middle of the appropriate lane so my intention is completely clear.

This is when I get the worst close passes. It seems that car drivers object to me being anywhere other than at the side of the road. I'll sometimes get several cars squeeze past half in my lane and then merge fully into my lane when they are barely past me. Often I have to break and/or move left to avoid an accident which can put me in the path of other cars. This happens when I'm fully in the centre of the lane and have been for some time so there's no confusion. Drivers just want to get past. I genuinely don't think car drivers actually understand that I'm using the lane and that it is my space.

Can we somehow educate drivers about cycles using different lanes?
As I always understood it:

[*] If I'm at the side of the road cars may pass leaving "plenty of room"
[*] If I'm in the centre of any lane cars must pass in a different lane, not half in half out and must not cut in 2 yards in front of me. (overtake as you would a car)
[*] In return I will stay at the left side of the road to let cars past whenever I feel it's safe.

I've been thinking of designing a simple leaflet with these point illustrated to give to drivers when I pass them a few seconds later.

Have I been getting something wrong here? If so I'd love to know how to handle the situation better.
Last edited by mikeyg123 on 17 Jul 2018, 12:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjr

Re: Close pass in other lanes

Post by mjr »

Get a camera, keep offering the videos to the police until they act, escalating to the commissioner's office and press if necessary. A well-publicised "operation close pass" is the best way to educate many motorists.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.