Electric car charging to kill off segregated cycle lanes

pga

Re: Electric car charging to kill off segregated cycle lanes

Post by pga »

While I agree with most of points made here in sunny Milton Keynes (yes, still sunny after all these years!) we are threatened on the Redway cycleway network by driveless vehicles. These would take up most of the 3m Redway width. Untested they are to be launched on us anyday. Big business involved of course with the local council receiving £50 million to trial driveless vehicles. Many questions remain unanswered. Will they avoid cyclists? Who is legally responsible if there is an accident? A robot answers to no-one. Infrastructure changes threaten the freedom of cyclists and walkers.

Read Christian Wolmar's Driverless Cars: on a Road to Nowhere for a fuller critique.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Driverless cars on redways, What Madness :(
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Driverless cars on redways, What Madness :(

The number of cyclists I see staring at their mobiles whilst riding I reckon we're entering the age of the riderless bike.
Mind you at least they apologise when you shout at them, perhaps we could get the driverless cars to do the same.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

kwackers wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Driverless cars on redways, What Madness :(

The number of cyclists I see staring at their mobiles whilst riding I reckon we're entering the age of the riderless bike.

Given that the pods driving round MK have a maximum speed of 15mph that is effectively what they are.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

pga wrote:While I agree with most of points made here in sunny Milton Keynes (yes, still sunny after all these years!) we are threatened on the Redway cycleway network by driveless vehicles. These would take up most of the 3m Redway width. Untested they are to be launched on us anyday. Big business involved of course with the local council receiving £50 million to trial driveless vehicles. Many questions remain unanswered. Will they avoid cyclists? Who is legally responsible if there is an accident? A robot answers to no-one. Infrastructure changes threaten the freedom of cyclists and walkers.

Read Christian Wolmar's Driverless Cars: on a Road to Nowhere for a fuller critique.

Didn't they also test them on a shared-use or pedestrianised area in London ? Remember: cyclists on footpaths is bad, but driverless car/pod things on footpaths is good...? :roll:
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

brooksby wrote:Didn't they also test them on a shared-use or pedestrianised area in London ? Remember: cyclists on footpaths is bad, but driverless car/pod things on footpaths is good...? :roll:

No...

Cyclists on footpaths is fine providing the danger has been negated with a bicycle painted on them.
Presumably painting a car on the pavement also works...
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

kwackers wrote:
brooksby wrote:Didn't they also test them on a shared-use or pedestrianised area in London ? Remember: cyclists on footpaths is bad, but driverless car/pod things on footpaths is good...? :roll:

No...

Cyclists on footpaths is fine providing the danger has been negated with a bicycle painted on them.
Presumably painting a car on the pavement also works...

Oh, of course. Silly me...