Changing driver behaviour

kwackers

Re: Changing driver behaviour

Post by kwackers »

Tinnishill wrote:Back to my original post. Average speed cameras have reduced traffic speeding offences on the urban stretch of Dalkieth Road, Edinburgh, from 15,000 a day to 2. Not 2,000,you will notice, but 2. Serious injuries have dropped from about 3 per year to zero.

That is now, today, with current technology.

Indeed. But the problem is annual casualty rates are falling and with them the political will.
Any talk of black boxes which would annoy your average law abiding DM reading motorist is likely to be met with the response that "our roads are the safest in Europe and KSI rates are falling" by any politician worthy of the title.

Plus, now we're outside the EU we won't unilaterally decide on such things. We might on the other hand have them foisted on us by the EU but whilst more likely I wouldn't put any money on it.

Overall, I think improved safety will come about as it always has, because cars are getting safer (and soon smarter too).
Reminds me of a phrase when I was learning to fly; "planes fly in spite of pilots, not because of them", I reckon the same applies to cars "safety improves in spite of drivers not because of them".

Still, when I'm emperor it'll all change...
horizon

Re: Changing driver behaviour

Post by horizon »

Tinnishill wrote:
That is now, today, with current technology.

AIUI, it has been true for about 30 years with hidden speed cameras. These were withdrawn when it was realised that they did actually prevent speeding anytime, anywhere. My guess is that average speed cameras are accepted because they apply to specific places and routes - how many routes and places is yet to be seen. It is actually quite easy to prevent speeding: you just roll back 120 years of road widening and straightening. Traffic jams also prevent speeding amd my guess is that increasing traffic volumes (and hence lower speeds) has contributed to improving accident rates though I've no evidence for that.

What is nice about this particular report is that it shows that installing cameras and reducing speeds actually reduces death and injury: that is quite hard to argue with given the hard statistics.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher